Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP Locking Onto Cars in Adjacent Lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mtndrew1

May 12, 2015
Gardena, CA
My car has been “target locking” and braking (or refusing to pass) cars in adjacent lanes when using legacy autopilot, not FSDb or NoA. This happens in lanes that do not merge.

This phenomenon began in early 2023 and makes it very difficult to use autopilot. I’m having the same experience in my new HW4 Y as I had in my HW3 3, leading me to believe it’s a flaw in the software as opposed to a hardware problem.

I recently saw that similar behavior is being experienced by some in the UK starting with 2023.32.x builds. [uk specific] Software 2023.32

Are others experiencing Autopilot highlighting cars in other lanes and braking or slowing as though those were the target lead cars?

IMG_5742.jpeg
IMG_5698.jpeg
IMG_5695.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5689.jpeg
    IMG_5689.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 23
That is normal now. If the neighboring car starts to drift towards your lane, AP gives the vehicle room to merge into your lane. It's the same as if they were entering the highway via an on-ramp. That is my theory at least. It's IDing vehicles that it thinks are, or will be, in your lane.

Reactions: JB47394
That is normal now. If the neighboring car starts to drift towards your lane, AP gives the vehicle room to merge into your lane. It's the same as if they were entering the highway via an on-ramp. That is my theory at least. It's IDing vehicles that it thinks are, or will be, in your lane.

In my case the phenomenon has no relation to a vehicle’s placement in the lane; my car will just hit the brakes or refuse to pass a car that has been incorrectly highlighted as a target car.

There is no apparent risk of another car coming into my lane when this happens. No signals, no upcoming merges, just incorrect targeting.

My car has been “target locking” and braking (or refusing to pass) cars in adjacent lanes when using legacy autopilot, not FSDb or NoA. This happens in lanes that do not merge.
Most likely Basic Autopilot is getting confused by map data indicating a merge. Your first picture shows you're in the left-most lane next to the Harbor Transitway / Slauson highway bus stop, and the left side is the bus bridge ramp which does have a merge. Way: ‪Harbor Transitway‬ (‪122858287‬) | OpenStreetMap

Until recently, FSD Beta seemed to also have a conservative approach of merging overlapping road layers and wanted to slow down in some cases thinking it was on the road under a bridge instead of on the bridge.

In Germany it is, in most circumstances, prohibited to overtake on the right side. Therefore, if there is a slower car in the track left to my own, The Autopilot slows down and stays behind that other car. Here this is the legally correct behavior.

Don't know if this is related. Looks similar though.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394