Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP zig zag down road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ey guys, i had opened another thread with the same behavior. I am On v10 2019.32.11.1 and the car does zig zag like you have said. It happened to me with and without cars in the adjacent lanes, and with and without semi or trucks, but it is true that sometimes it did it well. Normally when i bad weather it does even driving alone in the highway. I have heard from another tesla owner having the same issue, and he said that when you are in highway of just 2 lanes, it didn’t happen. I have a M3 for 2 weeks with FSD and i think HW2.5. So this is happening because the update. When i was in V9 this was not happening, neither in v10 2019.32.11, or Maybe i did not notice it, since i had that version for a couple of days. I don’t think that the autopilot has to adjust itself, since for me it happened in different situations. It started doing it, then it didn’t, then do it again and over and over. I hope we will soon an explanation for this or a new update. Does somebody here noticed that with the early access v10? Btw, i am locate in The Netherlands
This sounds very much like my car -- mine is new (less than 2,000 mi) so I wasn't sure if this resulted from the V10 update (it never happened prior to the update) or just a wiring/computer glitch that I hadn't noticed before. Mine has swerved this way on all types of roads including 2-lane roads (going across the center line) and multilane highways and has swerved toward cars in adjacent lanes. It definitely is a major safety issue and makes autopilot unusable. When it happens, the screen animation shows my car crossing the lane markers so it doesn't appear to be a camera/sensor issue.

Yup, here too, seems to go from side to side, not abruptly, but mildly, you can see it on the display, get's close to one side, then the other.

Perhaps they released V10 a tweak too early?

No, I think this new behavior represents a big shift from literal processing to AI in lane keeping. We are seeing responses from the surroundings, not just lane lines. While I do prefer the stability that V 9 had, I also think that to move forward, they had to make this change. It does seem like a step backwards, but I've done enough software development to know that big enhancements do come with their preliminary bu... uh, "features."

You'll see my posts in this thread about how much I disliked the V10 behavior - and was embarrassed to have any passengers experience the wonkieness of EAP...

However! I got 32.11.1 on Thursday, and used EAP much of the weekend - and I have to say that not only is the 'lane hunting' and 'jerkiness' now totally gone... I am, again, proud to show passengers how awesome EAP is! THIS is why I love Tesla. Every now and again, we'll feel like we went 'backwards'... but it's only temporary, and a much improved version is just around the corner. :D

I still feel the car veer away from large vehicles... which is nice. But it's not jerking the steering wheel as I approach, and as I pass the large vehicle. It's noticeable... but not at all uncomfortable.

So far, in my experience, this is the most stable EAP yet!

Model 3, bought in August this year. 1,200 miles.

Here is one clip -- starting at 20 second mark. On NoA, 4 lane divided highway (I-91) ~65mph cancelled NoA @ 30 second mark.

Mine is doing much the same thing. I hit two (Y) divided roads daily and the car seems to search for which side of the fork to take. Finally I just said screw it, and I take control before and restore AP afterwards.

This sounds very much like my car -- mine is new (less than 2,000 mi) so I wasn't sure if this resulted from the V10 update (it never happened prior to the update) or just a wiring/computer glitch that I hadn't noticed before. Mine has swerved this way on all types of roads including 2-lane roads (going across the center line) and multilane highways and has swerved toward cars in adjacent lanes. It definitely is a major safety issue and makes autopilot unusable. When it happens, the screen animation shows my car crossing the lane markers so it doesn't appear to be a camera/sensor issue.
So yeah, it is because the update. As other people stated here you can also see the behavior in the display. If you have FSD and you go on “navigate with AP” you can see the blue line that the car draws in the display also doing zig zas

No, I think this new behavior represents a big shift from literal processing to AI in lane keeping. We are seeing responses from the surroundings, not just lane lines. While I do prefer the stability that V 9 had, I also think that to move forward, they had to make this change. It does seem like a step backwards, but I've done enough software development to know that big enhancements do come with their preliminary bu... uh, "features."
Indeed. I am a software developer with some years of experience too and working also with ML/AI and this can be just a data collection from all the cars and a model training for the software. It makes sense and that can explain why the car sometimes does it and sometimes not. They need to collect a lot of data in order to train well the models that the car uses internally. Lets hope they collect as much as they can and they launch an update

Reactions: Puddles
Man, that's unreal. It's as if your Tesla downloaded the wrong software, like it came from a 737-Max or something. I'd be waiting at the service center next day when their doors opened.
I finally got it in for service -- they said that the autopilot just needed to be re-calibrated. But on my drive home from the service center (2.5 hrs) it was even worse and on top of that they forgot to replace my USB memory stick so I couldn't record videos of the wild swerving across lanes on autopilot. I've tried texting and emailing the service center but no reply...

Experiencing the same thing. I just updated to v10 (I am on standard AP) yesterday and have driven over 7k miles since pick-up back in June 2019. I would say over 85% have been on auto pilot and never had the zig zagging inside the lane on a completely open freeway with well marked lines.

Double yellow lines seem to bounce between single and double which I guess changes the lane width and maybe the car corrects. This happens on all lanes though. Had an incident while I was sitting in stop and go traffic where the carpool lane entrance had no lines. The car freaked out after sitting for about 30 seconds. It threw the big red steering wheel image, put the car in park, and turned on the hazards on its own.

The new version is reacting to conditions in more bad ways than good for me. I guess I will have to learn how this version of autopilot reacts to the daily commute. For the most part though, stop and go traffic is good. Zig zag is too much so I’ll probably be using TACC until it’s resolved. I’m pretty bummed out though. On the freeway, pretty much the only time I’m not on auto pilot is when I change lanes(non FSD). Can Tesla roll software back to a previous version? :p

Tesla just opened a new service center down the street from me, I’ll have to stop by and have them take a look.

Got the update as well! Much better improvement over the last versions it feels like so far. It definitely reacts to semi trucks now unlike before then move back to center after passing. The maneuver feels confident and has no issues finding center after. Wasn’t windy today so can’t say how it reacts to a semi drifting into the lane though. Normally have to take over but I’m curious to see.

Side note this update also fixed the compass issue I got with the update where the map would constantly spin almost 180* and then back.