Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today the car stopped waiting for a left hand turn (due to oncoming traffic) on a two lane rural road. When it made the turn and was on the road being turned into, it suddenly made a violent zig zagging movement and seemed to come to a stop about 3 feet into the opposing lane, having crossed the lane marking line. I was a bit startled and am not sure if it went back into the correct lane on its own or if I steered and pressed the accelerator to make it do so. It did not disengage and did not put up any message like "emergency collision system".

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior? This is the first totally crazy behavior I have seen in my limited time running FSDb. One time last week it seems to have attempted to go around an illegally parked large truck that was completely blocking the lane, even though there was a car coming in the other lane. That time I disengaged.

I have to be honest. I was getting pretty used to FSDb, but this zig zag incident scares me. It was OK at 5 mph with no other cars, but if something like that happened at high speed it would not be good.

The blue planning line was whipping around at the time like a snake on crack. It was like the FSDb was fighting with itself. Weather was OK, partially cloudy normal day. Not sure about shadows.

Reactions: beachmiles
This happened after the turn was completed and I had gone five or ten feet onto the road I was turning into. I have seen the car do a tiny zig to the right before taking this left turn most of the time. It seems to be lining up so that when it enters the road it is lined up 100% with its lane. This was not that little zig.

I looked at the dashcam, but it was a about half an hour after the incident. There was one unsaved sequence that had a really strange look to it, but once I press the play the video looked normal.

Over the past couple weeks in my garage I get a message "parking assist is degraded" "camera blocked or blinded" when I start to back out.

Also, when I go to the service menu and try to do camera preview all I get is a black screen with a spinning icon.

Attachments

• 20230719_135417 - Copy.jpg
    20230719_135417 - Copy.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 76
Yes, FSD beta does the zig zag at left turns, even in 11.4.4. It zigs into oncoming traffic while anticipating the actual left turn.
Also zigs into oncoming traffic while anticipating a right turn. Then from the left lane, cranks the steering wheel max clockwise, whips around the corner, (frequently spinning its wheels if there is a bit of gravel on the pavement), then settles back into the right hand lane.

11.4.4 also uses road shoulders and bike lanes to make right turns, which I believe is illegal. If the road shoulder ends with a sidewalk/curb at the intersection, the vehicle ignores the curb & will hit it unless the driver intervenes.

My 11.4.4 is struggling with the most simple task… going straight on the highway. When I have it on and I’m at speed on the highway, going perfectly straight….my FSDb is as if it’s fighting an alignment issue that is doesn’t exist, its a noticeable back and forth within the lane. I had full alignment job in May and it tracks well when not on FSDb. I know all about how FSDb has in-lane logic to give large trucks more room, it’s not that…that has actually improved in this version as it’s not as drastic as it used to be. This swerving issue seems to have come with 11.4.4, but I have to admit I didn’t notice it right away so maybe it does have some other variable causing it.

I wonder if a camera calibration reset might help? Guess that’s worth a try, otherwise I’m at the mercy of getting the next version with hopes it gets better.

I am also on 11.4.4 Prior to that update the car "visualized" an oncoming truck somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 mile away. But after 11.4.4 it doesn't see the truck until it is between 50 and 100 feet away. That gives me plenty of time to disengage whenever I meet a truck to make sure FSDb doesn't just suddenly snap the steering wheel against the left turn lock and dive for the truck. It may still slam on the brakes when it does see the truck and if there isn't anyone right behind me I just let it stop. If there is someone behind me, I override with the accelerator pedal and just take the hit for the collision warning message and pay the increased Tesla insurance premium. Not happy about that, but not unhappy enough to trade it for a Kia.