Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, I also believe this is firmware but clearly the bug is only manifesting itself in certain cars, and that (to me) suggests some interaction with hardware variations. If they were clear on the when of the software fix I'd have accepted that, but they haven't been.

Yes! It's good that they agreed to do a swap. Perhaps, if I don't see this getting fixed in the next 1 or 2 software updates, I'll push them further.

Please post your experience post-swap if everything is working as expected.

Seems like the latest FW just got pushed out --> 17.11.45. From the build numbering, does not seem to be a major release (apart from the inclusion of AEB).

Not hopeful that this update fix our issues. Hope I am proved wrong!

There's been 17.14.x builds out so I don't think the 17.11 would be the addition of AEB. Although I hope all versions later than 17.10.x have this issue fixed.

I do see on TeslaFi that someone got 17.16.35 this morning. Hopefully that has the AEB AND AP 2 fix.

I'm not sure a previous version is going to help. I have 17.11.3 and I have the same issues (no TACC/autosteer). Going on 2 weeks with this issue and no fix yet.

I still have 17.11.3 and rarely have TACC/autosteer working. I went back to driving my older Model S with AP1 and am letting my wife drive my new car :( She never used autopilot anyway but not having cruise control is pissing her off.

Last two days I have had the return of Cruise.... so far. That was 5 days prior with nothing except once during that time, so around 30 trips, 1 worked, now in two days I have had 6 trips with it working, of course my SC appointment is for tomorrow to fix it :) might be an easy visit.

When I got there there was a new line item in the service work order to "align cameras", the tech said it was added by corporate (I did report the issue via technical support as well). Took it in at 8:30am and car will not be ready until tomorrow. I already see that one software update was done, from 17.11.3 to 17.11.10 (you would think they would do at least this weeks new version, but they still have tomorrow to work on it).

When I got there there was a new line item in the service work order to "align cameras", the tech said it was added by corporate (I did report the issue via technical support as well). Took it in at 8:30am and car will not be ready until tomorrow. I already see that one software update was done, from 17.11.3 to 17.11.10 (you would think they would do at least this weeks new version, but they still have tomorrow to work on it).
I can confirm that 17.11.10 doesn't fix the problem

So I'm wondering what other people have experienced lately since my AP2 suddenly seems to be working again.

My AP2 didn't work for over 2 weeks, then suddenly it worked on off for a few days - I'd guess it worked 40% of the time. Now it's worked 10 out of my last 10 drives over the past few days. I've had no firmware update and I'm still on 17.11.3.

This makes no sense to me as to why it would suddenly start working again after over 2 weeks of not working. Anyone else have a similar experience or any type of explanation?

So I'm wondering what other people have experienced lately since my AP2 suddenly seems to be working again.

My AP2 didn't work for over 2 weeks, then suddenly it worked on off for a few days - I'd guess it worked 40% of the time. Now it's worked 10 out of my last 10 drives over the past few days. I've had no firmware update and I'm still on 17.11.3.

This makes no sense to me as to why it would suddenly start working again after over 2 weeks of not working. Anyone else have a similar experience or any type of explanation?

Hmm..interesting. My AP2 hasn't been working since day 1. I drove over 1500 miles since then and its still not working. I have been also updating firmware as and when available (now on the latest 17.16.45).

Did you initially get the "Cruise not available" message?

Hmm..interesting. My AP2 hasn't been working since day 1. I drove over 1500 miles since then and its still not working. I have been also updating firmware as and when available (now on the latest 17.16.45).

Did you initially get the "Cruise not available" message?
Yes I had the "Cruise not available" message. Once I upgraded to 17.11.3, my AP2 worked fine for a few days and then all AP2 functionality went away and I had the "Cruise not available" message for over 2 weeks. Then it randomly started working again... doesn't make sense.

Yes I had the "Cruise not available" message. Once I upgraded to 17.11.3, my AP2 worked fine for a few days and then all AP2 functionality went away and I had the "Cruise not available" message for over 2 weeks. Then it randomly started working again... doesn't make sense.

Ya. God only knows what's happening. The people at Tesla SC are absolutely useless in this regard and engineering teams are busy trying to introduce features that prevent them from looking bad in the media (e.g. AEB)!!!

Reactions: juice15e
Ya. God only knows what's happening. The people at Tesla SC are absolutely useless in this regard and engineering teams are busy trying to introduce features that prevent them from looking bad in the media (e.g. AEB)!!!
I bought my car 4weeks ago, can't use AP 2 ever since. Already visited SC 3 times with no fix. I wonder if I can use lemon law after my 4th visit for the same problem. Or simply I can sue them because they said "No timeline to fix the issue"

The service center checked my logs today and can't find anything wrong. They say to wait for the next update to see if it fixes anything. I'm still on 17.11.3, no cruise available for the the last 2 weeks. Before that it was working fairly well. The new cameras seem to be better than the AP1 cars at seeing the road and guessing where the road is when there are no lines, but the self driving feature is not as good. AP1 drives great except when it swerves at the top of small hills.

I bought my car 4weeks ago, can't use AP 2 ever since. Already visited SC 3 times with no fix. I wonder if I can use lemon law after my 4th visit for the same problem. Or simply I can sue them because they said "No timeline to fix the issue"

Yes. I'll give them a reasonable amount of time to fix. My issue appeared end of March. If the issue is not fixed till end of May, then I think it's more than a reasonable amount of time given to them to fix. In fact, if you read the fine prints of Tesla invoice (usually last page), it says that the buyer has a right to get a refund or replacement if the issue is not fixed.

I think Tesla will get more serious if this is reported in media. All we need is an article on electrek about this issue! I can guarantee the issue will be fixed immediately then!

I agree with you on it getting picked up by the media. I had a discussion at length with the technician and it did not sound like much has actually been done. He had sent in the issue but had not heard much back from engineering. The local technician is doing his best but not getting much support from Tesla HQ.