Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 affect your decision to lease/buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am reading about a lot of upset people on this forum who just took delivery of their vehicles recently that feel the value of their cars with AP1 just took a nose dive after Musk's announcement. I am driving a vehicle I bought new in 2005. Keeping it a bit longer than expected because of M3, but the point is, I like to buy a car and keep it for 10 years. I am wondering if this era of technology disruption makes that feasible.

On the other hand, if buying an EV is motivated by helping the environment, then getting rid of it after a few years isn't really environmentally responsible either.

Makes me wonder: If I am not going to pay for AP2 when I buy my M3, should I consider buying a used MS with AP1 instead for probably close to the same price?

Don't have my mind made up about anything yet. Actually, my head is spinning after last nights announcement.

What are your thoughts?

I'm in the same boat - I like to buy cars and keep them for a while. I will do the same with the Model 3 despite changes in technology. The primary target for me will be to buy at a point where I'll be happy even though other changes will come over the following 10-20 years. The improvements in technology and infrastructure (availability of high power DC chargers, etc.) will be tremendous over time and I don't doubt that.

I understand where recent buyers are feeling some remorse, because I don't think I would consider a used Tesla today that doesn't have AP2 capabilities. Autopilot is a very big part of why I would want a Tesla. I do a lot of highway driving and that's where I would use it.

My decision to buy won't change, but it's possible I will evaluate my decision with more information at the end of the year or early next year. If the tax credit is extended, I will delay my order, because I don't really need a car at the end of 2017. (I stood in line to reserve mine) This allows them to work out kinks in the car. But if they don't extend the tax credit and I don't feel like I want to spend the $8k for latest Autopilot features on top of whatever the options cost that I want (extended range is important to me for example), then I might just sit this out and wait 5-10 years. Technology will have improved and costs will have fallen by then. It's not going to be a surprise.

My current car is good on gas mileage and easy to fix (I will be changing springs/shocks myself in the next 2 years if I don't take delivery of the Tesla) so I'm happy to keep it for another 10 years. But no, I don't plan on keeping a car for a short time. There's too much depreciation for that to be economical and it becomes even bigger with a potentially $50k car. (Base plus options, autopilot,tax title delivery) My last car was $12k so this is definitely more than normal and why I'm so cautious.

Definitely sucks for the people that just got their cars, but it certainly isn't the first and won't be the last time Tesla suddenly introduces a new major feature and the people right before that change lost out.

To be fair though, it's been pretty well discussed on both these forums and some other sites that a new AP hardware suite was going to be out soon. No one knew when, but they knew it was coming.

Reactions: hollywood
Definitely sucks for the people that just got their cars, but it certainly isn't the first and won't be the last time Tesla suddenly introduces a new major feature and the people right before that change lost out.
Yes, it sucks but it isn't any different (aside from price) than any other purchase people make, things change and get upgraded over time. You can either keep waiting to get the latest and greatest and never make a purchase or just buy the best that you can get at the time knowing that eventually something newer and better will come around.

I am reading about a lot of upset people on this forum who just took delivery of their vehicles recently that feel the value of their cars with AP1 just took a nose dive after Musk's announcement. I am driving a vehicle I bought new in 2005. Keeping it a bit longer than expected because of M3, but the point is, I like to buy a car and keep it for 10 years. I am wondering if this era of technology disruption makes that feasible.

On the other hand, if buying an EV is motivated by helping the environment, then getting rid of it after a few years isn't really environmentally responsible either.

Makes me wonder: If I am not going to pay for AP2 when I buy my M3, should I consider buying a used MS with AP1 instead for probably close to the same price?

Don't have my mind made up about anything yet. Actually, my head is spinning after last nights announcement.

What are your thoughts?

I'm certainly going to be looking at Model S 60D and 75D prices when it comes time to order. If i can get a used 75D for a similar price I might switch. The AP is not a factor in my buying the vehicle as my highway driving is minimal so the updated hardware won't make a difference. I'd rather my dollars go to AWD, a pano roof and free CS access.

I was all set on leasing my M3 when I got it, because I didn't think the first batch would have level 5 hardware. Now that it will, I am second guessing my leasing plan. I keep my cars for 8-10 years. Or should say, have kept them that long. But I am thinking that 3 years after the M3s roll out, Tesla is bound to make improvements. So I'm still leaning towards a M3 lease, then re-evaluating in 2020/2021 about buying. Or maybe then, Uber will take over or something else like pooling cars and just summoning will be in. Who knows....

It is if 'getting rid of it' means getting a dirtier car off the road. Buying a new car is usually a game of hand me downs with the last person in line sending their car to the junker.

Reactions: gavine
I am going to buy mine. I hope to have it for 10 years or so while my kids get through college. This is an amazing time in car tech. Personally I am beginning to wonder if my kids will even drive at this point. Maybe my 13 year old but my 7 and 4 year olds might never have to get behind the wheel.

With that said if I have my car for 10 years will this be the last car I drive? Will people in 10 years convert to a more Uber/Lyft model and not own cars since we are removing the overhead of the driver? I really do think if they can get regulatory approval we might see personal car ownership go away except for a few enthusiasts. This might open me up to get that classic car I have been wanting and then ride share my way to work in an autonomous car. Before I couldn't because I don't have room in my garage for an extra hobby car but that might change.

Intuitively, I tend to agree with you one the environment aspect (I generally keep most of what I buy until they are dead, or quite close to unusable). Keeping a good longer is better for the environment. And most of the time for you budget.

However, it is not as clear for an electric car in a used car market that is far from saturated. One might argue that it will help to move out ICE cars putting some used electric cars on the used car market. So, people shopping for used car will have more choice. Less fuel car = less GHG. But then, it depends where the used electric car will be used and or where it was manufactured.

But one thing is clear, it is always cheaper to keep your car for a long time!