Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - "Autosteer Disabled On This Road"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 17.3.2 update this morning and went for a drive for a few hours. TACC works fine, but I was surprised at the autosteer restrictions.
The release notes say it's available for "restricted-access highways" and based on the comments and videos posted I assumed this meant divided highways. It appears that's not the case. After about a 2 hour drive in the DC area this seems to be limited to interstate highways like 95/495/66 and the Dulles Toll Road. The problem is that autosteer is limited to 45mph and the speed limit on all of these roads is 55+ and the traffic is usually going 65+. Doesn't seem to help if you are in stop and go traffic right now either since the autopilot turns off if you go below 5mph. Guess I'll have to wait for another update to actually be able to use autosteer.

Reactions: Tribaltech
I got my 17.3.2 update this morning and went for a drive for a few hours. TACC works fine, but I was surprised at the autosteer restrictions.
The release notes say it's available for "restricted-access highways" and based on the comments and videos posted I assumed this meant divided highways. It appears that's not the case. After about a 2 hour drive in the DC area this seems to be limited to interstate highways like 95/495/66 and the Dulles Toll Road. The problem is that autosteer is limited to 45mph and the speed limit on all of these roads is 55+ and the traffic is usually going 65+. Doesn't seem to help if you are in stop and go traffic right now either since the autopilot turns off if you go below 5mph. Guess I'll have to wait for another update to actually be able to use autosteer.

I am facing the same problem. Just got my AP2.0 update earlier today and was super excited to go try it out but EVERY road I went on it would keep giving me the error message "Autosteer disabled on this road". I get it that its in BETA mode but if its going to work only on highways but be restricted to 45mph, it makes no sense. Tesla might as well just let everyone know that the AP2.0 has been delayed further rather than release an update that is useless.

Last edited:
just updated at 10am this morning.
I was able to use Autosteer today on the freeways in southern CA. its raining so traffic was very slow. I tried to use it on surface streets but got the same notice that it was not available on surface streets. I used it on the 405 freeway and it handled nicely even as i used it on the onramp for the 105 freeway. The car basically drove by itself from the 405 freeway to the 105. It was very exciting. HOWEVER, the car did seem to drift from the right side of the lane to the left. It was like riding with the 16 yr old driver on the first freeway drive. I would not have wanted to try it faster than 45 MPH.

I tried it auto steer on another freeway onramp. As i was getting up to speed near 45mph, the car did a hard drift toward another car in the next lane. Im not sure if it would have corrected itself, but i didn't give it a chance. I took over quickly to avoid sideswiping the other car. perhaps its the rain and the sensors need to learn more. I will continue to try out the new toy but will continue to be cautious.

just updated at 10am this morning.
I was able to use Autosteer today on the freeways in southern CA. its raining so traffic was very slow. I tried to use it on surface streets but got the same notice that it was not available on surface streets. I used it on the 405 freeway and it handled nicely even as i used it on the onramp for the 105 freeway. The car basically drove by itself from the 405 freeway to the 105. It was very exciting. HOWEVER, the car did seem to drift from the right side of the lane to the left. It was like riding with the 16 yr old driver on the first freeway drive. I would not have wanted to try it faster than 45 MPH.

I tried it auto steer on another freeway onramp. As i was getting up to speed near 45mph, the car did a hard drift toward another car in the next lane. Im not sure if it would have corrected itself, but i didn't give it a chance. I took over quickly to avoid sideswiping the other car. perhaps its the rain and the sensors need to learn more. I will continue to try out the new toy but will continue to be cautious.
Jeesh!! That's scary. Yeah I'm gonna let them work out all the kinks before I give it a go again. Not that it's working anyway for me.

I am having the same issue- looks like only interstates are available in Louisiana and given the speeds (70mph), I can only try AP on the on/off ramp. It kinda sucks. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue, tho. Tried on divided highways with no success.