Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment Gates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it might help people try to help you if you described what the exact problem was. I am an IT person by trade, and I troubleshoot for a living, so am a bit sensitive to this type of thing but "it doesnt work" doesnt help anyone help you.

A better description would be:

"I followed the instructions listed for programming homelink in the manual on page XXX, but when I perform Step YYY, ZZZ happened."

Im not trying to be mean, I am trying to see what didnt work so I (or someone else) could attempt to help you. To answer your original question, I had no issues programming homelink for my house with rolling code, nor programming it for the gate at my daughters apartment complex, so yes I had recent luck with this, as I just took delivery on 12/04.

• Informative
Reactions: Brisket5652
I read another thread and saw someone's answer that said to point the gate remote from inside the Frunk, which didn't work for me. Any suggestions?

If being inside the cabin did not work, I would recommend following the instructions on Page 116 of the Model 3 manual which covers homelink troubleshooting. This page says:

=================================

Troubleshooting HomeLink

When programming a HomeLink device, the
touchscreen walks you through a two-part
programming process:

1. Model 3 records the signal from the
remote. The touchscreen instructs you to
stand in front of the vehicle, point the
remote at the front bumper and press and
hold the button until the headlights flash.

When the headlights flash, Model 3 has
learned the remote and you can touch
Continue on the touchscreen. If the
headlights do not flash, refer to the
following guidelines......

==============================

This is copied from the manual on the referenced page. So my recommendation is to try it pointing at the front bumper (not from inside the frunk) as the manual dictates, and perform the other troubleshooting steps detailed there if they dont work. If you dont have the PDF of the manual downloaded, you can find it in your tesla account to download.

Hope that helps.

Will Homelink work with any old school Black box "code" clicker???? I was under the impression that it only worked with Homelink branded products.

Looking it up, mine looks exactly like a Linear Delta 3, which I believe has 8 dip switches. Mine could be a generic version of sorts, though. I didn't even bother trying because I figured it was so old. Was I wrong????

Last edited:
WOW! I tried brand new batteries at both my front and rear gates to my apartment community and to the front gate at my Ex's community, and NONE of them worked. Can anyone help some more? I assume I'm to be using HomeLink, correct bc that's what I've been doing?

WOW! I tried brand new batteries at both my front and rear gates to my apartment community and to the front gate at my Ex's community, and NONE of them worked. Can anyone help some more? I assume I'm to be using HomeLink, correct bc that's what I've been doing?

Homelink is only one of many remote control protocols, though it is very common for home garage door openers. It is possible that your apartment complex does not use a Homelink compatible system.

I am unable to get the headlights to flash.

You tried everything in the manual related to this topic, right (you did read the manual on this topic since you are having problems... right?)

Piggybacking off my other post, on page 117, homelink troubleshooting:

=================================

2. The device's receiver learns Model 3. The
touchscreen instructs you to press the
LEARN button on the device's receiver. If
training the receiver does not work, refer
to the following guidelines.

Note: Only devices that are equipped with
a “rolling code” remote need to learn
Model 3. If you have an old device that is
not equipped with a "rolling code" remote,
the device does not need to learn Model 3
and you can skip this part of the process.
You can also skip this part if your receiver
is "Quick-Train" compatible.

Headlights do not flash

• Check the batteries in the remote. It is a
good idea to replace the batteries before
you start programming.
• Hold the remote against the front bumper,
with the button pressed, approximately 6
in (15 cm) to the left of the Tesla emblem.
In some cases you must hold the button
on the remote for up to three minutes.
• Check compatibility of the remote by
contacting the HomeLink manufacturer
(www.homelink.com).

=========================

you tried all this?

Hi Everyone: I've seen some threads, but sometimes a new thread will do the trick. Anybody have any recent luck saving Gate Codes to Apartment complexes so I don't have to use my clickers? Thanks! -David
Position car close to gate and head first. Follow owner manual instructions. Crouch down with remote horizontally pointed at bumper, and close to bumper. Lucy didn’t like clicker pointed downward towards her.

What does this mean?

And do you have to be near the gate to try to do this, or could I have someone at Tesla try to program gate remotes at Dealership?

The rest of the quote that you cut out shows what it means:
=====================
Note: Only devices that are equipped with
a “rolling code” remote need to learn
Model 3. If you have an old device that is
not equipped with a "rolling code" remote,
====================

translated, that means if your apartment gate does not have a "rolling code" type of control it does not have to do the second part of the process, which is the learning process. The short form of programming gate / garage door openers to homelink devices is the same across devices. HOW you activate it differs but in general its:

1. Point working remote with fresh battery at device to be programmed, until it acknowledges it (in this case, that is point it at the bumper of the telsa 6 inches to the left of the tesla symbol on the front bumper as it says in the manual). Acknowledgement in this case is the flashing lights. if it doesnt work, hold it there in the spot denoted above "for up to 3 minutes" as it says.

2. AFTER the lights flash, IF you have a rolling code type device, you then have to press the LEARN button on the device (garage opener) and then go back and press the button on the thing you are programming (in this case, the car). If your device is not a rolling code type opener, you can skip this step.

Most apartment gates are not rolling code type, but its possible it could be (and if so, you would not have access to the learn button on the mechanical part of the gate, so IF its rolling code, you are out of luck). With that being said, I lived in a bunch of apartments and had BMWs that I used to open the gates and none of those were rolling code. I think its rare for an apartment gate to be rolling code but not impossible.

From the limited description you are providing, it does not appear that you have successfully completed step 1 as of yet ( programmed the remote to the car) so I would not worry about the second part you quoted about learning remote not being needed and skipping that step, because you are not there yet. Try to get it programmed to the car first.

For more detail refer to the manual on pages 116 and 117.

What does this mean?

And do you have to be near the gate to try to do this, or could I have someone at Tesla try to program gate remotes at Dealership?
Community gates don’t typically have a learn function like garage door opener does (that’s the button you’re pressing on the opener).

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S