Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging In A Stacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone.

I have a friend who wants to buy a Tesla but lives in an apartment building with a car stacker in their apartment building.

They don't have EV chargers anywhere near them and as part of their job, they drive a lot for work.

Has anyone heard of a company (or themselves) being allowed to install an EV charger in a car stacker or know how this would work?

They are very keen on buying the new Model 3 but are concerned about the charging situation.

Any thoughts on what they can do?

My completely inexperienced random thought is that you would install the charger on the ground level in a position safely away from the movement of the stacker, and not on the stacker itself. The cables are reasonably long, so I don’t think that will get in the way. You will be committed to having that car only on the bottom of the stack if you want to charge. The weight of the car will not be a problem.

Hi Everyone.

I have a friend who wants to buy a Tesla but lives in an apartment building with a car stacker in their apartment building.

They don't have EV chargers anywhere near them and as part of their job, they drive a lot for work.

Has anyone heard of a company (or themselves) being allowed to install an EV charger in a car stacker or know how this would work?

They are very keen on buying the new Model 3 but are concerned about the charging situation.

Any thoughts on what they can do?
Make sure you check the maximum headroom in the stacker before buying a car. I almost bought into a building with a stacker that would not even fit a suzuki swift height.

Contact the company that manufactures the stacker. I‘m on a Body Corporate Committee and we are in the process of installing an EV charging system in the basement garage with 155 car spaces including 12 stacker spaces. The stacker manufacturer has a kit that you can install to allow for charge connectors to be installed and cable trays to make it safe.