Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App is getting 500 server error. Cant connect.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am kind of amused by people posting, "same here, same there, same here, same there, ..."
Normally I say the same, but it was widespread enough of an issue that I think people chiming in was good if for no other reason to see the magnitude of the issue. By seeing that there are so many others experiencing the same problem, it allows one to understand they are not alone and can set realistic expectations for themselves.

Not all people who own Teslas are up on the latest minutia and know every subtle nuance.

Exactly. This is a non issue. Plain and simple. Just quit whining.
Except this was a not a non-issue. Maybe not end-of-the-world type of a problem, but it certainly was a notable event.

Reactions: Muad'Dib
Except this was a not a non-issue. Maybe not end-of-the-world type of a problem, but it certainly was a notable event.
How so? Are you saying these folks never opened the car through bluetooth or the keyfob? What would they have done if they had parked at a place with no internet connection, like an underground garage or in the boondocks?

I couldn't unlock the car is an unreasonable incorrect statement. I couldn't start the heating remotely, that I understand, although nothing to lose their minds over.

I couldn't unlock the car is an unreasonable incorrect statement.
I disagree

By nature, the people active on message boards (such as you and I) are typically much more versed in the finer points of the vehicle. We know to always have a backup in place.

The masses are different. Their car is just another car. Many have gotten into a routine of having just their phones to get into their cars because, well, it always works. Maybe they keep their key card or fob in their car for the valet and/or car wash. Based on the years of success, that is a reasonable, through now proven faulty, assumption.

Just because you didn't have to learn the hard way the dangers of not having a backup, don't fault others for not having previously learned that lesson.

And TBH, if I had an X or an S, the chances are the I wouldn't be carrying a key fob around with me as backup. That is not something I would want to add to my daily pocket load.

By nature, the people active on message boards (such as you and I) are typically much more versed in the finer points of the vehicle. We know to always have a backup in place.
And yet a lot of people got on this message board to complain :)

I agree with your point about ppl taking it for granted, but I'm not entirely sympathetic to some of the complaints people made, since tbh a lot of it is related to laziness .. it's easier to not bother with a backup and then try to find someone else to blame when you find out you should have had one. It's like computer backups. People KNOW they should have one, and if you ask they will say "Yes I know I really should do it" but never get around to it (why?), and then collapse in a panic when they discover they have lost all their data.

What “backup” are you referring to? The phone app was still working to unlock and drive your car, even while the network was down. Assuming you paired your phone as a key - network doesn't have to be up. You don’t have to be versed to use this….just walk up to your car door and open it (model 3/y. Maybe other models different?)

The S & X do not have the same Bluetooth connectivity that the 3 & Y have: To use your phone to unlock these cars requires cellular connectivity of both your phone and your car to the mothership which was down. This issue had more of an impact on S & X owners than 3 & Y owners.
But those cars came with key fobs as the intended primary key, right? Otherwise every time a model s or x parks in a garage where lte access blocked, would become stranded. The phone in their case is the backup. But In any case your point is taken…it affected some people.

that could be. Good luck on delivery and let us known how it went/worked.
I was watching (from across the street) while our Tesla was unloaded. I didn't see the driver use a key-card. He opened the car door, backed down the ramp and drove into my driveway. I got in the car and the key-cards were in an envelope behind the cup-holders. There was some chitchat including the fact that he marked all the cars he was hauling as delivered the previous day. At some point while he was packing up the app got access to the car (still unpaired). So I still don't know what would happen if the car was unloaded with no owner present and the Tesla management network was unreachable.

But those cars came with key fobs as the intended primary key, right? Otherwise every time a model s or x parks in a garage where lte access blocked, would become stranded. The phone in their case is the backup. But In any case your point is taken…it affected some people.
Exactly. Phone is supposed to be the backup. Low IQ folks forgot that and got complacent.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Exactly. Phone is supposed to be the backup. Low IQ folks forgot that and got complacent.

No, not "low IQ folks" - people who think and act differently than you.

Hmm.. then shouldn't they just have the fob on them just like another car ? :rolleyes: :D
Not the same thing: on most other cars with a fob, that is the only way into the car. With the S & Y, they had a trusted way to get into their car that worked fine, in many cases, for years. It was not an unreasonable expectation that it would continue to work and there was no need to continue to carry the fob around that they never used.

If he had pushed on the door handle with his phone in his hand, the door would have opened right up. He could have driven it too. you don’t need remote access for the phone-as-key feature to work.
Did I ever state I was unable to drive the car? I’m quite able to use my black credit card to get in, put it in drive and go on my merry way. My point, which obviously got lost on a few people, was if there is a server problem, the “techs” should know this and not waste my time by sending me a message that updated firmware is en route, and then go completely dark on me with no replies. That is NOT customer service I expect, and I’ve owned a lot of cars in 50 years.

Did I ever state I was unable to drive the car? I’m quite able to use my black credit card to get in, put it in drive and go on my merry way. My point, which obviously got lost on a few people, was if there is a server problem, the “techs” should know this and not waste my time by sending me a message that updated firmware is en route, and then go completely dark on me with no replies. That is NOT customer service I expect, and I’ve owned a lot of cars in 50 years.
Sir my response was not to you, but to some mother named Cynthia who claimed her son couldn’t get in his car using his phone. Sorry you were disappointed with the service

I've had connectivity issues between my app and the car since I got it last week. Tessie seems to connect better, and the app seems to connect better if I force stop it on my android phone and reopen.
A few minutes ago I got my first 500 server error, and now a 503 error which seems to have resolved. Woops, looks like 503 server maintenance went away and is back.
I'm putting this out there as a data point - it seems the last time was widespread for about November 19 or so.

Reactions: BuckeyeFanMH84