Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App updates (What route does the data take?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've taken delivery of M3 RWD this week and the first update has shown in the app.
My driveway is too far away from my house to get a wifi signal. I started the update via hotspot to my phone without realising that it would take ages. I didnt have time to wait so I'm now in my house working but the update is still downloading so my question is: how does the update get onto the car?
My car doesnt have a wifi connection as I'm now out of range with my hotspot
My app is still showing the download taking place (and its not frozen, its increasing in its percentage completion)
Is the data downloading to my phone? and will then transfer to the car later?
Or is my app showing false data and i need to reconnect to the car to continue?

The car downloads the update directly from the Tesla server. However, it needs a wifi connection to do so, the car will not download updates through its LTE connection. The wifi you connect the car to is the connection it will use. If you connected your car through your cell phone as a hotspot then the car is getting its wifi from your cell phone. The file isn't transferred on your phone, your phone is simply acting as an internet router...

I've seen something similar.
When the car is close to finished, I can disconnect my hotspot, and it still goes on until it reaches 100%.
Maybe Tesla is including a local extraction/unzip of files within the last percentages?