Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you feel that. Not trolling serious question. Their labor practices make me squeamish but so does the lack of privacy on other platforms. Genuinely interested in your thoughts.
I'll give you a couple of examples. They convinced businesses to become Apple sellers. After all the fees and investments, they pressured these dealers to stock more inventory, with a variety of threats so bad that many stocked several months of sales. Once the 'dealer' pipe line was stuffed full, on Friday their Apple salesman, did a high pressure push. Then on Monday announced they had decided to only sell to distributors, (Like Chrystal, Newark Electronics, WW Grainger, etc.) and all 'dealers', would henceforth have to get their inventory and parts from the distributors. Once the dozens, scores, hundreds(?) of distributors pipe line was stuffed to the max, they changed their minds and would no longer sell to distributors, who became former Apple distributors, with a mountain of inventory. They were forced to sell their inventory at a big loss. Apple then went back to selling direct to anyone who would jump through all the hoops to become an Apple dealer. Except the cost to an Apple dealer was 25% more than the street price from a distributor - and the distributors were selling to anyone.

Once the pipe line was full again, they announced they were opening Apple stores owned by Apple and all 'dealers' were cancelled. By canceled meaning, the 'dealers' would no longer be reimbursed for warranty repairs and could no longer buy Apple parts from Apple or an Apple store.

A friend had 21 computer stores in 6 states that were 'Apple dealers' as well as other brands like IBM, Compaq, Columbia, Franklin, etc. IBM upon learning he was longer an Apple dealer concluded he was a risk and killed his IBM dealership and the combination bankrupted him. Ultimately he sued Apple and the suit was settled out of court with Apple paying him a rumored $25,000,000.

While my store was a 'dealer', I had one sale of 600 Apple Macintosh computers to a business. Apple got wind of it and went to the business and offered to sell them units at 20% less than any quote I would make.

When I was suddenly no longer an Apple 'dealer', I had $750,000 worth of repair parts in inventory. I could use some of those on out-of-warranty repairs, but quickly ran out of common parts and couldn't buy those from Apple, so I couldn't really repair any Apple products and was left with $450,000 worth of parts that I had to put in a dumpster because they were worthless.

That's typical Apple business. Generally not quite illegal, just extremely hard ball.

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t
I'll give you a couple of examples. They convinced businesses to become Apple sellers. After all the fees and investments, they pressured these dealers to stock more inventory, with a variety of threats so bad that many stocked several months of sales. Once the 'dealer' pipe line was stuffed full, on Friday their Apple salesman, did a high pressure push. Then on Monday announced they had decided to only sell to distributors, (Like Chrystal, Newark Electronics, WW Grainger, etc.) and all 'dealers', would henceforth have to get their inventory and parts from the distributors. Once the dozens, scores, hundreds(?) of distributors pipe line was stuffed to the max, they changed their minds and would no longer sell to distributors, who became former Apple distributors, with a mountain of inventory. They were forced to sell their inventory at a big loss. Apple then went back to selling direct to anyone who would jump through all the hoops to become an Apple dealer. Except the cost to an Apple dealer was 25% more than the street price from a distributor - and the distributors were selling to anyone.

Once the pipe line was full again, they announced they were opening Apple stores owned by Apple and all 'dealers' were cancelled. By canceled meaning, the 'dealers' would no longer be reimbursed for warranty repairs and could no longer buy Apple parts from Apple or an Apple store.

A friend had 21 computer stores in 6 states that were 'Apple dealers' as well as other brands like IBM, Compaq, Columbia, Franklin, etc. IBM upon learning he was longer an Apple dealer concluded he was a risk and killed his IBM dealership and the combination bankrupted him. Ultimately he sued Apple and the suit was settled out of court with Apple paying him a rumored $25,000,000.

While my store was a 'dealer', I had one sale of 600 Apple Macintosh computers to a business. Apple got wind of it and went to the business and offered to sell them units at 20% less than any quote I would make.

When I was suddenly no longer an Apple 'dealer', I had $750,000 worth of repair parts in inventory. I could use some of those on out-of-warranty repairs, but quickly ran out of common parts and couldn't buy those from Apple, so I couldn't really repair any Apple products and was left with $450,000 worth of parts that I had to put in a dumpster because they were worthless.

That's typical Apple business. Generally not quite illegal, just extremely hard ball.
Interesting. I have personal horror stories with Samsung too (as a former supplier), however, Apple, at least pioneered something themselves instead of just beating up vendors (got my 1st one back in 1980). They do follow US labor and other laws (at least in their US operations) without direct government support. I finally purchased a Samsung Heat Pump after over a decade of refusing to buy anything from Samsung. Once these scum have put everyone else out of business with their evil deeds, there is often no good choice.
I chalk it up to "they are all bad" once you get close enough.

Reactions: legendsk
"Apple always wants to vertically integrate and own the hardware. They are a computer company.
The car is the ultimate computer on wheels. They decided they can’t compete with tesla on manufacturing
(because they outsource to China) so it’s not worth it."

Unless, it comes with something completely different, like the iPhone was in 2007.
Yes, Tesla = King when it comes to production efficiency as well as kWh efficiency,
but Teslas are still remarkably conventional-looking cars.

Look, has vehicle autonomy development turned into Ins Blaue Hinein engineering, aimed at making cars as we know them today drive themselves? Because that sure didn’t work out. One might conclude this after well over $100 billion has been spent on making cars drive themselves. Partly because they are (still) too bulky. Einstein once said: “genius is making complex ideas simple, not making simple ideas complex”.

Could a purposefully designed car squeeze more precision - smoothness - safety out of any Autonomous Vehicle technology? Yes. But the $100K price tag suggests that Apple was working on something big as well. Could another type of vehicle function as an enabler of any AV tech out there? Yes, and that would make it a more likely ‘proprietary candidate’ than any AV ‘Operating System’ that developers are pushing and pitching in the hope that theirs becomes the industry standard. Because knowing Apple, that was what it was after initially.

Last edited:
I think it is a positive for AAPL and previously Dyson that they swallowed their pride and dropped out before losing more pride and importantly customer perception. They have a lot to lose. They have by doing this boosted their chances of leading in VR and AI.

Apple is doing better than most companies. It has a lot to lose so pretty normal to be conservative. Vision Pro I think is the right product. The Sony supplied screens are innovative for sure.

Elon company comparisons are tough as he sets a high bar.

Apple Watch was after Steve as well, and is ubiquitous on wrists around the world, watch ANY YouTube video and check out the host's wrist. It's not as mind bending as the Mac or iPhone/iPad were, but as a health product, it's pretty good. And Steve was the innovator, like Elon was, now both companies are at the stage of iteration, perhaps it's lucky we ended up losing Steve as he could have turned into the megalomaniac that Elon has. Just as glad to only remember the good years.

Apple Watch was after Steve as well, and is ubiquitous on wrists around the world, watch ANY YouTube video and check out the host's wrist. It's not as mind bending as the Mac or iPhone/iPad were, but as a health product, it's pretty good. And Steve was the innovator, like Elon was, now both companies are at the stage of iteration, perhaps it's lucky we ended up losing Steve as he could have turned into the megalomaniac that Elon has. Just as glad to only remember the good years.
It's only an add-on for those with iPhones though. The only thing that runs through batteries faster than an iPhone is an iWatch.