Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No private podcasts in Apple Podcasts app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jbaker

Dec 18, 2023
Texas
To me, the biggest benefit of adding the Apple Podcasts app with the latest software update was that I would have a native way to access private podcasts that I subscribe to through third-parties like Patreon. However, none of the private podcasts that I’ve added to my Apple Podcasts account via url seem to show up in my Tesla. They’re synced across all my other devices with the Apple Podcasts app, but I can’t see any way to find them or add them on the Tesla. Anyone else noticing this or have a solution?

That does seem to be the situation. Kind of sucks. I only have one paid podcast, so I guess I'll use Bluetooth for that when I listen to it. Given how long it took them to add a friggin shuffle button to Tidal, I'm not counting on this to be fixed for a long time, if ever. I guess the good thing is that the only real reason I wanted Apple podcast in the car itself is to access the skip forward buttons without having to use the phone. Since the paid podcast doesn't have ads, that won't be needed anyway.

I am SUPER bummed about this too.. The features is called "Follow a show by URL" and you can normally go in the Library and click the three dots and add the RSS feed. I subscribe to CLUB TWIT and those are about all i listen to. I guess I will have to listen via BlueTooth still. what is the point of having Apple Podcasts....GRRRR

To me, the biggest benefit of adding the Apple Podcasts app with the latest software update was that I would have a native way to access private podcasts that I subscribe to through third-parties like Patreon. However, none of the private podcasts that I’ve added to my Apple Podcasts account via url seem to show up in my Tesla. They’re synced across all my other devices with the Apple Podcasts app, but I can’t see any way to find them or add them on the Tesla. Anyone else noticing this or have a solution?
Possible solution use naitive Apple CarPlay in your center screen via Tesla Android project. I’ve been for about 2 years. If your car is 2021 or newer, You can easily put together a system with parts you buy used or new now that shortages seem over. If your car is older, you’ll need the premade kit they sell on website since it has stronger WiFi antenna (stronger signal since older cars have weaker WiFi antenna). You can have Tesla nav running too simultaneously & easily switch to other Tesla apps & use Tesla mobile app when outside car to view cameras etc. Also there is a way to use Apple Music, play lossless codec & have no Bluetooth in the audio pipeline (no Bluetooth compression)…use Android OS Apple Music app & set Tesla Android to broadcast audio to Tesla via WiFi. Tesla Android uses uncompressed PCM audio codec for transmission. 😎.

Reactions: JWM000
Did a Google search hoping this was something I could fix but guess not ... These are the Podcasts I ALWAYS listen to as well ... Back to fumbling with my phone and using Bluetooth I guess ...

Yet again, I have to beg ... JUST ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT FFS ...
I have two carplay setups in my Tesla. 🤣.
1) Tesla Android . CarPlay, Android Auto & Android OS in the center screen. Coexists well with native tesla navigation if there is preconditioning concerns.

2) Hanshow 9” Linux based display which is behind steering wheel. I’ve not used this since getting Tesla Android.

Which setup did you use? I’ve thought about doing this but wasn’t sure what the experience is like running it in the browser (is that still how they work?)
@JWM000 I use Tesla Android OS (open source) running on a Raspberry Pi 4B. Here is an overview from an unofficial blog site, two RPI-4B setups are outlined. You can also buy a premade setup from the tesla android website. If you go the do it yourself route, the developer accepts donations.

Reactions: JWM000
@JWM000 I use Tesla Android OS (open source) running on a Raspberry Pi 4B. Here is an overview from an unofficial blog site, two RPI-4B setups are outlined. You can also buy a premade setup from the tesla android website. If you go the do it yourself route, the developer accepts donations.
Sorry I missed your earlier post for some reason, thanks for this follow up … I’ll take a bit more of a look. I just bought a second Tesla (our first one is my wife’s) and I’m missing CarPlay from my BMW that I traded a lot more than I thought I would … They’re ‘22 and ‘23 cars so sounds like it will be straight forward based on what you said earlier.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I have not had a chance to use the new Tesla Apple Podcast app, but in regard to Skip Back/Forward I found there is a setting for the Podcast app on the phone to manipulate what action external controls perform when connected via Bluetooth. I was fed-up with having the steering wheel controls jump between podcasts, but I was able to adjust the setting on the phone to have my left steering wheel control skip forward 30s or back 15s instead of jumping "tracks". After making that change the Bluetooth podcast integration has been pretty seamless.

Still looking forward to checking out the new native podcast app.

• Informative
Reactions: gx9901
I think this might actually be a bug on Apple's side.

I recently discovered that the Siri shortcut 'play podcast' only works for podcasts that you subscribe to through the Apple podcast catalog. If you try to use this Siri shortcut to play a 'private' podcast that you added to the Apple podcast app via URL, the shortcut fails (Podcast not found) - even though it lets you choose the name of the private podcast in the Siri shortcut setup!

I'm wondering if the Tesla client app uses the same APIs, and therefore doesn't see private podcasts in your library.

Will file a bug report with Apple, for what that's worth.

Reactions: Zilla91
Thanks for getting Apple’s attention on this!

I strongly suspect this is the same root cause of another similar bug I’ve experienced - you can’t play a private podcast using a Siri shortcut (you get a not found error). It’s easy to reproduce, so would you mind mentioning that to them when you next talk to them?

Apart from the issue with subscribed podcasts which really sucks, anyone having issues with syncing? i.e starting a podcast on one device and hoping to finish it in the car. Mine doesn’t seem to like that and starts it from the beginning.

Apart from the issue with subscribed podcasts which really sucks, anyone having issues with syncing? i.e starting a podcast on one device and hoping to finish it in the car. Mine doesn’t seem to like that and starts it from the beginning.
no actually it works very well for me and I was so impressed when I discovered this worked. I was at the gym listening to a podcast then jumped on my car and it was playing the right spot in the long podcast.

Reactions: Murphster
I have contacted Apple about this and spoken to a senior advisor. They are contacting engineering to find out what’s going on with private podcasts in the Apple Podcasts app for Tesla. I’m expecting to hear back from them by Tuesday afternoon. I’ll post an update once I get a reply.

thanks.
but who makes these apps? Tesla or Apple? I suspect that Apple provides an API and Tesla implements it?