Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music may finally be coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still wondering how this is better than iPhone connected via bluetooth + Siri or just having CarPlay with Apple Music App + Siri available in the Tesla infotainment center console (which I have and use). Be great if Tesla supported CarPlay & Android Auto. Sometimes I use Tesla nav + CarPlay for music or CarPlay for nav & Tesla usb for music or CarPlay for nav and music, etc. Freedom is great just like freedom of speech ;).

It will depend on how they implement Apple Music. If they have lossless it'll be better quality than everything Tesla has now except Tidal, which is also lossless. If they go hi-res lossless, then it'll be better than Tidal too. I've played hi-res in my car through the browser and it was definitely a better sound. I don't know what the hi-res catalogue is in Apple so it may or may not matter. Also, Apple offers Dolby Atmos, which can create spatial sound. Not all that up on how that works. Bluetooth OTOH is definitely lower res and in many cases sounds pretty bad.

In the car I use Tidal myself, with a tethered phone so I can get CD quality. Tesla made it sound like this was some sort of breakthrough, but CD dates from the 1980s. It sounds pretty good in my car but hi-res does sound better.

Reactions: The Meal
here are the leaked release notes.
8484D406-D9ED-4029-ACF9-076AA725D856.jpeg

What bitrate? I don't use Apple Music at home but have a trial that came with my iPhone. If hi-res is implemented I would give it a try for sure as I've been asking about that since before I bought my Tesla. It was a big disappointment to not be able to get hi-res in the car even though I could stream hi-res in my 2007 Honda Odyssey. I almost didn't buy the car because of it as I thought the music sounded like crap on a test drive of an M3P. It was even worse on the M3SR+ I bought. I have since replaced the speakers, and Tidal improved the sound input. The built in amp was good enough.

What bitrate? I don't use Apple Music at home but have a trial that came with my iPhone. If hi-res is implemented I would give it a try for sure as I've been asking about that since before I bought my Tesla. It was a big disappointment to not be able to get hi-res in the car even though I could stream hi-res in my 2007 Honda Odyssey. I almost didn't buy the car because of it as I thought the music sounded like crap on a test drive of an M3P. It was even worse on the M3SR+ I bought. I have since replaced the speakers, and Tidal improved the sound input. The built in amp was good enough.
By pure coincidence, in a few weeks I am going to the Peterson automotive museum in Los Angeles where Apple Music tesla app is seen in the car. I’ll ask if they can demo 🤣. There is a new large history of tesla exhibit at the museum. Just opened a week or so ago & will be running for about a year.

@Zacster this might answer some question. we really won’t know the answers until tesla releases more info or the app. They could take easy route and just stream non high def. They can take harder route and add Apple Lossless codec to tesla computer and download / stream higher def audio. Maybe tesla has the audio hardware to support CD quality. 🤷‍♂️ too many unknowns.

Still wondering how this is better than iPhone connected via bluetooth + Siri or just having CarPlay with Apple Music App + Siri available in the Tesla infotainment center console (which I have and use). Be great if Tesla supported CarPlay & Android Auto. Sometimes I use Tesla nav + CarPlay for music or CarPlay for nav & Tesla usb for music or CarPlay for nav and music, etc. Freedom is great just like freedom of speech ;).
I have several similar replies like this before but let's consider safety here. Think about it this way using bluetooth...

Before we get into our Teslas on a 45 minute drive to work, let me figure out what songs to play and create a playlist, then I hit Bluetooth and take off. Oops... connection error happened, can you please reconnect... look down on phone from charger panel, unlock, say "I'm not Driving", then click again on phone, FaceID didn't recognize my face, look down again... You get the point right? Ding, ding, ding, brakes appear in front of you and Tesla insurance dings my rate up 10%. It's a safety thing for me...

Reactions: Gy2020
I have several similar replies like this before but let's consider safety here. Think about it this way using bluetooth...

Before we get into our Teslas on a 45 minute drive to work, let me figure out what songs to play and create a playlist, then I hit Bluetooth and take off. Oops... connection error happened, can you please reconnect... look down on phone from charger panel, unlock, say "I'm not Driving", then click again on phone, FaceID didn't recognize my face, look down again... You get the point right? Ding, ding, ding, brakes appear in front of you and Tesla insurance dings my rate up 10%. It's a safety thing for me...
I've not had a safety concern when using iPhone + bluetooth + Siri (no CarPlay) with my Tesla. Been using the tech since 2013. 99% of time iphone automatically connects to Tesla when I get in the car. No futzing around with Face ID. In my podcast and music applications on my computer I setup "smart playlists" for podcasts and music as well as traditional manually crafted playlists. The apple eco system already comes with a few smart playlists already made for users. They sync to all my apple devices. I use Siri for almost all commands. "Hey Siri play podcast playlist Tesla news" . "Hey Siri play podcast playlist recent". "Hey Siri play music playlist liked", "Hey Siri play music playlist new music. Hey siri take me to china town. Hey siri stop navigation. If I want to skip back or forward I use the left Tesla steering wheel button (nudge it left or right). Pause/play music push the button in.

That has not been my experience when using iPhone + bluetooth + Siri (no CarPlay) with my Tesla. 99% of time iphone automatically connects to Tesla when I get in the car. No futzing around with Face ID. In my podcast and music applications on my computer I setup "smart playlists" for podcasts and music as well as traditional manually crafted playlists. They sync to all my apple devices. I use Siri for almost all commands. "Hey Siri play podcast playlist Tesla news" . "Hey Siri play podcast playlist recent". "Hey Siri play music playlist liked", "Hey Siri play music playlist new music. Hey siri take me to china town. Hey siri stop navigation. If I want to skip back or forward I use the left Tesla steering wheel button (nudge it left or right). Pause/play music push the button in.

My 2012 Chevy Volt had this too but iPhone only paired successfully 70% of the time after a few years....GM only updated their software once.
Yep, I get your point. I just feel that native applications removing bluetooth technology will improve safety.

Reactions: AustinP
Now that Elon is “going to war” with Apple because they pulled their advertising from twitter, I wonder if he will pull Apple Music from the update that was going to bring it to Teslas.
Sure hope not. Elon was so stupid to buy Twitter, when he already had so many good companies. Who cares about Twitter and this is looking really bad.

I know one thing, if he goes to battle with Apple, then I will get rid of my Tesla. I am more of an Apple fanboy than Tesla fanboy, even though I really like my Model S. Been in the Apple ecosystem much longer and a lot more invested. Really too bad that he is acting a like a spoiled child.

Sure hope not. Elon was so stupid to buy Twitter, when he already had so many good companies. Who cares about Twitter and this is looking really bad.

I know one thing, if he goes to battle with Apple, then I will get rid of my Tesla. I am more of an Apple fanboy than Tesla fanboy, even though I really like my Model S. Been in the Apple ecosystem much longer and a lot more invested. Really too bad that he is acting a like a spoiled child.
Since you are apple fanboy, If you want CarPlay in your model s checked out the below thread. I think mcu2 works might want to ask in thread.