Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music web player

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just tried (M3LR, Ryzen processor, V11 software)

if you mute the output by choosing bluetooth from the sources (so no audio from the car itself), then the web player works. However:
- audio seems centred around the screen more than if you play through bluetooth or spotify
- controls are tiny at the top of the screen, can’t find a larger ‘album art’ view
- steering wheel controls don’t work for skip/previous track (only volume)
- if you put it in drive the audio mutes - no idea why but this is the real killer.

while I was there I tried apple music via bluetooth - quality was decent, soundstage much wider (like spotify in-car), you get album art on the now playing view, and can use the steering wheel to skip tracks.

Also if you press the ‘playlist’ button it shows the next tracks coming up so you can quickly jump to a song further down - but no album art, just the names in an odd two row list that scrolls horizontally.

I’m not a fan of the spotify interface and once playing it seems identical when minimised to apple music so I’ll probably stick with bluetooth for now. I’d be curious to hear any impressions of the difference in quality

Reactions: Zilla91
just tried (M3LR, Ryzen processor, V11 software)

if you mute the output by choosing bluetooth from the sources (so no audio from the car itself), then the web player works. However:
- audio seems centred around the screen more than if you play through bluetooth or spotify
- controls are tiny at the top of the screen, can’t find a larger ‘album art’ view
- steering wheel controls don’t work for skip/previous track (only volume)
- if you put it in drive the audio mutes - no idea why but this is the real killer.

while I was there I tried apple music via bluetooth - quality was decent, soundstage much wider (like spotify in-car), you get album art on the now playing view, and can use the steering wheel to skip tracks.

Also if you press the ‘playlist’ button it shows the next tracks coming up so you can quickly jump to a song further down - but no album art, just the names in an odd two row list that scrolls horizontally.

I’m not a fan of the spotify interface and once playing it seems identical when minimised to apple music so I’ll probably stick with bluetooth for now. I’d be curious to hear any impressions of the difference in quality
Thank you for giving that a go. Shame it doesn’t work…

If only Tesla would upgrade the Bluetooth so you could browse the music in car. Maybe one day, eh

Thank you for giving that a go. Shame it doesn’t work…

If only Tesla would upgrade the Bluetooth so you could browse the music in car. Maybe one day, eh
For that to happen this has to change!
1645860583047.jpeg

Wouldn't carplay compromise the navigation experience, as your App wouldn't know your battery level and likely consumption? Sure on other makes the navigation is so rubbish that a decent map is better, but Tesla's routing via chargers is certainly a key strength.
I think an Apple Music app on the Tesla store make more sense.

Wouldn't carplay compromise the navigation experience, as your App wouldn't know your battery level and likely consumption? Sure on other makes the navigation is so rubbish that a decent map is beter, but Tesla's routing via chargers is certainly a key strength.
There are several electric cars that have carplay, I've not looked at the available API but it might contain info about the battery.

I know for sure Apple integrated ChargePoint data about electric car charges back in 2020.

Wouldn't carplay compromise the navigation experience, as your App wouldn't know your battery level and likely consumption? Sure on other makes the navigation is so rubbish that a decent map is better, but Tesla's routing via chargers is certainly a key strength.
No reason why one has to replace the other, they can coexist or you have the choice, and for 90%+ of my journeys I don’t need to route plan around charging.

There are several electric cars that have carplay, I've not looked at the available API but it might contain info about the battery.

I know for sure Apple integrated ChargePoint data about electric car charges back in 2020.
There was meant to be integration between the new BMW i4 and Apple's EV routing, but it seems to be missing, same with MachE, both were the launch partners when Apple announced.

Sure, maybe its coming, no one is doing it yet. Its also specific to Apple Maps, which I would suggest few people use compared to Google and Waze. No one has experienced it yet to say whether its any good. Google currently only do EV routing on Android Automotive on Volvo/Polestar, and generally I gather its not great and drivers use ABRP's app instead.

No reason why one has to replace the other, they can coexist or you have the choice, and for 90%+ of my journeys I don’t need to route plan around charging.
I don't need navigation for 90% of my journeys, but when I do I would be more likely to need to charge. I would suggest the experience of CarPlay would be rather janky if its trying to fit around maps.

Carplay is good, we have it on our Leaf, but I can see how it wouldn't really fit inside the Tesla experience. Rumours seem to be that Tesla are going to open an app store of sorts, someone will no doubt built an Apple music app.