Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few updates - things I've been thinking about that I think might also be valuable to others.

The first, and something I will probably repeat in the future as well: for newcomers to the thread, whether lurking (welcome!) or posting, please read at least the 1st page of the thread. There are some critical assumptions and context there that make the later pages of the thread more meaningful. Those assumptions, context, and options knowledge level are assumed (at least by me) for anybody following along.

The second is that my interest in starting this thread, and continuing to contribute is the opportunity to learn. I'm motivated by this quote:
I try to be wise. I make a point of incorporating trades that are primarily designed for what they might teach me (while still being profitable - I like being paid to learn stuff I want to learn). And I post my good and bad experiences along the way. I particularly focus on the trades I design to learn from, as well as trades where I learn something I can articulate out loud (there is plenty of learning from repetition that it's hard to be that specific about). And ideally, not just positions and results, but why any particular position was taken.

I'm hoping to hear about what's worked and failed for others (so I can be even wiser!).

In short - I'm looking for this thread to be educational. Primarily for me (I'm selfish that way), but I hope also for you.

EDIT: And wow - that pasted URL / quote sure turned out big.

In the interest of sharing data, here are some interesting (to me at least) observations about the last week.

My 8/14 1445 put that I sold last week was looking very much like it was going to get exercised up until yesterday. I think that was a good thing, as it forced me to start REALLY thinking about how I would handle that scenario - per the wheel strategy, I was planning on selling aggressive calls against that to clear it out and start the wheel over, but if the stock price was going to keep dropping (or stay below 1400), I was faced with the idea that I'd have to be decently out of the money so that I wouldn't lose significantly on the underlying share selling. I hadn't fully considered this prior to being faced with it, so interesting learning experience, even though it didn't happen that way (i bought it back for a 95% gain today on the jump to the 1640's). That experience reinforced the idea that you REALLY have to be ok with being required to buy those underlying shares if the stock goes against you.

Second thought to me is how the split is going to impact this whole strategy. Because I'm carrying a lot less shares/cash than some of you, I have been on the fringes of being able to use this strategy at all. I can really only handle one sold PUT at a time with the cash I have available. With the split, it seems to me that because I'll have 5x the amount of shares (and the cost of buying more will be equally cheaper), I should be able to be more aggressive with this type of play. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in practice.

Reactions: adiggs
The good news is that there's a lot of options (ha ha) for rolling.
-Obviously there's rolling out (in expiration) and/or in (more agressive strike). This is generally ok if you don't get too deep ITM and if you think price is going to reverse back into your favor.
-There's splitting, where you split the total dollar value of your position over a larger number of contracts (need to be careful with this--its real easy to get into a very bad place)
-There's flipping (rolling your -P to a -C or vice versa), which is a great one if you think price is going to continue in the 'unfavorable' direction (like if price pushed through a major technical indicator)
-There's rolling from a naked to a spread if you need to manage margin. This sets you up for the long game and also bounds how shitty you get, and IMHO its worth it to just start out with a spread. FWIW I always go with verticals on credit spreads. I love me a diagonal for a long position, but that's another conversation...
-But my go-to is hands down split-flipping into a short straddle/strangle (or more likely, I split-flip a spread into an Iron Condor/iron Butterfly because, as noted, I prefer spreads over naked). I really like this one because there's really no major downside to the basic alternative of rolling out/in, and usually margin requirements are simply the requirements for one of the spreads in the condor (if they're asymmetric, its the larger spread that sets the margin requirements). Really the only downside of this one over the standard out/in roll is that price reversal back into the original favorable direction--which just means you keep playing the rolling game and it takes longer to clear the bad position.

A request of you @bxr140, if you can/will do so: if you can elaborate on the different methods you mention. I'm particularly curious in stuff like up and downside for a choice, how you choose among them or even decide that something is needed. Every trade has situations where it performs well, and situations where it performs badly.

For my part personally, I've been using rolls with more frequency. I've used these infrequently enough though, that I'm still getting a feel for where they work well, where they don't work well, and understanding the underlying dynamics that will help me identify where a roll is a good idea.

I haven't run into the idea of splitting or flipping (or the combo), and I would like to learn more. Including such trivial stuff as how you enter the order in your trading platform (I'm pretty sure that I can't use the roll transaction type to move from a put to a call on Fidelity).

Woot! I'm finally going to get assigned on a put (a 1485 that expired today). I'll be writing an aggressive call against these incremental 100 shares I now own starting Monday.

I've been posting about this particular trade several times, and figured that I know enough today that I know what the net trade will look like (after assignment tomorrow, assuming that TSLA somehow finishes above 1440).

The net trade worked out like this:
- sell 1485 put for ~$52 premium, expiring worthless due to assignment (gain $52). This is the cash to shares leg of the wheel. Cost basis on these new shares, as well as break even, works out to about $1433.
- sell 1440 call for ~$30 premium (gain $30 after expiring worthless due to assignment tomorrow). This is the shares to cash leg of the wheel.

Thus - gain ~$82 in premiums (yay), and lose $45 (buy shares at 1485, sell shares at 1440).

Net - about $35.

So I'm happy that I've been paid to learn something, and to experience a round trip of the wheel.

Was this a good idea? Will I court assignment like this again?
YES, this was a good idea for me, at this time.
NO, this isn't an active trading strategy that I will pursue regularly. The big problem I saw was that I can construct successful trades, but they take more energy and effort, carry more risk / churning stomach, and the upside available from spinning the wheel requires too narrow of a set of circumstances (MHO) to be worth trying to fall into (mostly because I need directional moves, that I'm trying very hard to be reasonably neutral to at the time scale of these options I'm selling).
NO, I won't court assignment like this again. One immediate consequence is that the delta on options I'm selling will be dropping a lot (say .10-.20 on the put side from .20-.40).

Some details:
- This particular trade had an opportunity to be closed where I had earned 70% of the original premium (net about $35). If I'd taken that opportunity then (as I normally would if I wasn't seeking assignment for the experience), then I'd have earned as much as the round trip yielded, but done so in 1 week instead of 2.
- So I "lost" the opportunity cost of not selling a new put position in the 2nd week.
- Whether I earned $35 option premium over 1 week or 2, by my dividend standard, this was a fantastic trade. I calculate it as ~1% in either 1 week or 2 - if I could repeat reliably for a year, then that's 25-50% annual results (sign me up!). (Calculation - ~$150k backing the 1485 strike put; $3500 earned is about 2% of $150k).

My conclusion (based on a personal data point of 1) is that the wheel mechanism is a backup to the primary value generator of this strategy which is to sell options that expire worthless. I might also think of this as another component of the list @bxr140 had earlier about different ways to alter positions to avoid assignment and improve profitability (reduce loss).

I think that list for me is:
1) sell OTM options that expire worthless (or more likely reach my profit target before expiration and are closed early).
- my experience is that options I sell are closed about halfway to expiration. That's an average for me over dozens of trades (getting close to 100 now, over 5 months).

2) Trades that aren't working well - roll (so far), or otherwise modify the trade to mitigate loss, or maintain profitability while reducing risk, etc.. (list above).

3) If necessary, accept assignment (and run the wheel to hopefully get back to the original position, profitably).

4) The "backup to the backup" - accept assignment with the understanding that I might be in the position for an extended period. For sold puts that get assigned, this is easy for me; I end up owning more shares (oh no!). I'm happy to hang onto those shares for years if needed, for them to become profitable.

This is harder, today, on the call side. It gets easier for me on the call side once I'm looking at 2500+ strikes (personal situation).
- ergo; only sell options on either side, where assignment is somewhere between acceptable and desirable to me.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceAggie
My 8/14 1445 put that I sold last week was looking very much like it was going to get exercised up until yesterday. I think that was a good thing, as it forced me to start REALLY thinking about how I would handle that scenario

Now THAT is some excellent education / experience. It's been my own experience that I pay best attention to my own experiences - especially the ones where I think I've screwed up :)

And as it turns out (admittedly, you needed some unexpected news to break your way), you not only get the education for free - you get paid for the education.

I just tried the daily OTM call thing just now. Sold a $1570 strike August 7th for $14.2 and bought it back for $9.... this one had nothing to do with theta decay lol. I will check and see what it ends up at the end of the day.

The $1570 call was $24 at the end of the day, I am glad I sold it quickly. That option had a high of 40+ :eek: later during the day.

I am glad the stock split is happening because I will be able to play the put side which I never done.

Reactions: adiggs
A mental model shift for myself that only, finally, happened this morning. Short version: sell weekly puts and monthly calls.

Some details:
My pattern on the put side is to be selling options with expirations that are 3-8 trading days out (this week, or next week). That has worked outstandingly well for me - I think clearing 5% per month in some months (my target is 1-3% monthly). I believe that is primarily because even when I take a relatively far OTM option, I'm still comfortable with puts with a high likelihood of assignment. Worst case, I own shares and it takes months or years to finally turn back into cash (due to a sustained duration down turn).

I've got TSLA shares I purchased back in 2012, and have owned through ALL of the ups and downs since then (there have been a lot). And never had a problem holding through all of them. That's still true today.

In practice, these put sales seem to be working out to 5 positions being opened and closed per month (1 per week, with an extra one somewhere along the line).

But on the call side, I've been frustrated. I want to be selling covered calls. I particularly like the dynamic when I'm selling options on both sides. In the bigger picture, my personal goal is to achieve a trading pattern that is reasonably mechanistic and low effort / stomach churn (and of course, generate enough dividend-like income to be worthwhile). I believe for that to be true, I need to be able to routinely make trades that are relatively neutral to each other.

For instance, I usually close one put position and simultaneously (sometimes as a roll, sometimes minutes - preferably same day) open a new put position. By doing so, wherever we are at in the moment when I'm doing this, if the close is particularly desirable then the open is similarly undesirable (and the reverse). I know it's not strictly true, but it's directionally true - good for one = bad for the other (so I don't need to try and time it!)

Similarly, if I'm selling both puts and calls, then share movement in either direction will be benefitting one side. Again, I can be relatively indifferent to the near term expected share price changes because I'll benefit in either direction (and be hurt in the other direction, but I've got mitigations for that). And of course, if the shares aren't going anywhere, then both sides benefit. (Yes - I realize I've described the benefits of strangles - that's effectively what I'm in, even though I never enter the positions using the strangle trading ticket).

The frustration is that I've been trying to do covered calls the same way I do the cash secured puts. Namely - 3-8 trading days to expiration but using lower deltas than the puts for the extra risk aversion I have with these. These come with smaller premiums and these 10%+ up days that just wreck the trades - the short trading window and lower deltas aren't enough to handle the big up days. Yet I've also wanted to figure out how to make these work for me.

So the mental model shift for me today - I'll be writing covered calls again, but I'll do so using the monthlies instead of the weeklies. Something like the 3-8 trading weeks to expiration (since I only had this observation today, I'm just starting to dial this in :D). The benefit - I had some 1650 calls expiring tomorrow that I wasn't thrilled with, but seemed like a good balance between delta, strike, and expiration. Then we've had two big up days back to back, and I don't really want to be assigned at this strike (I'll provide some details on this trade shortly).

I've moved those out to the September monthly (about 5 weeks), collected a pretty nice premium, and I'm up at the 2200 and 2300 strike now. I am VERY comfortable being assigned at that level, and it's far enough out that I can probably roll out another month pretty easily and collect another decent sized credit.

And the best part of all - my overall monthly $ and % results will be lower than the put side, but it will also still be significant enough to be worth the energy; money and strategy wise. I expect these positions to turn over much more slowly - 1 or maybe 2 per month. And that's ok because these longer dated options are both much higher strike and higher premium.

• Informative
Reactions: juanmedina
Including such trivial stuff as how you enter the order in your trading platform (I'm pretty sure that I can't use the roll transaction type to move from a put to a call on Fidelity).

Interesting, went into my Fidelity account and you're right I couldn't find an option to do this. However in my TDAmeritrade account I can just enter a custom order and it lets me pick whatever combination I want. The Fidelity account is an IRA and only eligible for covered calls/puts and my Ameritrade account is margin approved. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Roll put to call.png

In what will go down as a bad trade, is going to turn into a great learning experience and (I expect) a great trade.

Tuesday, I sold some covered calls at the 1650 strike for Friday expiration, figuring those were WAY too far OTM with such a short time to go. So grab a few bucks and we're good to go. This turned into the bad trade (baaad).

Tesla announces the split, and suddenly those calls were looking very likely to finish ITM (yay for big share moves - boo on even being close to ITM). At this point, they might still finish OTM, but it didn't like it earlier today and I didn't want to chance it anyway.

I've rolled those calls out to the September monthly at the 2200 and 2300 strikes, collecting a $6 and $9 net credit to do so. I think these are very likely to finish OTM. But if they don't, then I'm ok with assignment AND I think it's likely the case that I can roll out to the October monthlies and collect another good sized credit (and strike price increase) to keep stringing this along.

The key that makes this work for me, is moving from the 1650 to 2200+ strikes. Unhappy at 1650 - happy at 2200.

And the other bit that makes this work - the premiums are high enough, even when the strikes are that far away from the share price, that if I only collect that premium 1/month (vs 4/month with puts), my overall results are lower (%) than the put side, but are still good enough to be well worth the effort.

• Informative
I have shifted the 1300 and 1380 strike puts opened on Wednesday for 8/21 expiration up to 1550 for 8/21 expiration. So expiration is the same, strike prices moved up.

A few things I noticed that triggered this change.
1) The old positions were ahead roughly 50%. I normally look for 2/3rds or so, but 50% is good enough, especially considering the rest.
2) I'm seeing IV increase, at least in these close in expiration dates. The $20 up move I would normally expect to show up as a $2-3 reduction in the premiums on these far OTM options (.1 to .15 delta). The actual change was flat to UP on the premium. So the share price moves aren't moving the premiums as much as I liked, and there was relatively little premium left to decay ($5 or $8 roughly).
3) By closing the old and opening the new position now (higher IV), I pay more to get out of the old (and small) position, while receiving a correspondingly higher premium to open the new (and larger) position.
- This gets me more exposure to delta changes, and reduces the impact of IV changes - time decay is about the same % wise, which will translate to a larger value in absolute terms. (And I get paid with absolute dollars, not % :D)

In this case, the net was realizing about $3k in gains I'd earned, forgoing about $2600 in possible gains to go (over the next week), while establishing a new position with a total value of around $8k for the same expiration, at the risk of a higher chance of assignment on the 1550 puts over the 1300/1380 puts.

I'm probably TOO comfortable with assignment on the put side. But since the downside is to own more shares, I have a hard time changing :)

Oh - and earning 50% of the premium in 2 days doesn't hurt either.

If I can find particularly far OTM options with a worthwhile premium attached, then I'm probably going to keep writing options right through the split. The key is finding strikes I really like, on both sides (but especially the call side). Since I've found the call side already using the September monthly, I think this will be easy. I'm winging it on the put side.

My thinking here is that this looks like a particularly high IV time, thus higher premiums and/or more distant strikes for similar earnings. And I'm not seeing a hard time finding strikes where I would like to be assigned (please, buy my shares at 2200 or 2300!)

A mental model shift for myself that only, finally, happened this morning. Short version: sell weekly puts and monthly calls.

Some details:
My pattern on the put side is to be selling options with expirations that are 3-8 trading days out (this week, or next week). That has worked outstandingly well for me - I think clearing 5% per month in some months (my target is 1-3% monthly). I believe that is primarily because even when I take a relatively far OTM option, I'm still comfortable with puts with a high likelihood of assignment. Worst case, I own shares and it takes months or years to finally turn back into cash (due to a sustained duration down turn).

I've got TSLA shares I purchased back in 2012, and have owned through ALL of the ups and downs since then (there have been a lot). And never had a problem holding through all of them. That's still true today.

In practice, these put sales seem to be working out to 5 positions being opened and closed per month (1 per week, with an extra one somewhere along the line).

But on the call side, I've been frustrated. I want to be selling covered calls. I particularly like the dynamic when I'm selling options on both sides. In the bigger picture, my personal goal is to achieve a trading pattern that is reasonably mechanistic and low effort / stomach churn (and of course, generate enough dividend-like income to be worthwhile). I believe for that to be true, I need to be able to routinely make trades that are relatively neutral to each other.

For instance, I usually close one put position and simultaneously (sometimes as a roll, sometimes minutes - preferably same day) open a new put position. By doing so, wherever we are at in the moment when I'm doing this, if the close is particularly desirable then the open is similarly undesirable (and the reverse). I know it's not strictly true, but it's directionally true - good for one = bad for the other (so I don't need to try and time it!)

Similarly, if I'm selling both puts and calls, then share movement in either direction will be benefitting one side. Again, I can be relatively indifferent to the near term expected share price changes because I'll benefit in either direction (and be hurt in the other direction, but I've got mitigations for that). And of course, if the shares aren't going anywhere, then both sides benefit. (Yes - I realize I've described the benefits of strangles - that's effectively what I'm in, even though I never enter the positions using the strangle trading ticket).

The frustration is that I've been trying to do covered calls the same way I do the cash secured puts. Namely - 3-8 trading days to expiration but using lower deltas than the puts for the extra risk aversion I have with these. These come with smaller premiums and these 10%+ up days that just wreck the trades - the short trading window and lower deltas aren't enough to handle the big up days. Yet I've also wanted to figure out how to make these work for me.

So the mental model shift for me today - I'll be writing covered calls again, but I'll do so using the monthlies instead of the weeklies. Something like the 3-8 trading weeks to expiration (since I only had this observation today, I'm just starting to dial this in :D). The benefit - I had some 1650 calls expiring tomorrow that I wasn't thrilled with, but seemed like a good balance between delta, strike, and expiration. Then we've had two big up days back to back, and I don't really want to be assigned at this strike (I'll provide some details on this trade shortly).

I've moved those out to the September monthly (about 5 weeks), collected a pretty nice premium, and I'm up at the 2200 and 2300 strike now. I am VERY comfortable being assigned at that level, and it's far enough out that I can probably roll out another month pretty easily and collect another decent sized credit.

And the best part of all - my overall monthly $ and % results will be lower than the put side, but it will also still be significant enough to be worth the energy; money and strategy wise. I expect these positions to turn over much more slowly - 1 or maybe 2 per month. And that's ok because these longer dated options are both much higher strike and higher premium.

I sold a $1750 call today in the morning for $4.2 and let it expire. I agree with you I would rather sell monthly call instead for weekly call because I don't want to spend too much time on this. Right now I am trying to be somewhat cautious because of the S&P inclusion announcement and I don't want to hold any covered calls overnight.

Had a $1,650 call sold that I bought back today for a small profit. Actually curious if they would have called me away for $0.71...sorta wish I held on...you know for science!

Yes they would have. Allowed to reach end of trading on expiration day, the option will be automatically exercised at $0.01 in the money.

But getting called away for science - that's what I did last week and have found instructive. In that case, it took me 2 weeks to earn $35 in premium, over 1 week and closing the position at a 70% gain. And needed a lot more energy on my part than just closing the position proactively.

Glad I did that - won't be actively trying to do that again.

• Love
Reactions: Dharma
Yes they would have. Allowed to reach end of trading on expiration day, the option will be automatically exercised at $0.01 in the money.

But getting called away for science - that's what I did last week and have found instructive. In that case, it took me 2 weeks to earn $35 in premium, over 1 week and closing the position at a 70% gain. And needed a lot more energy on my part than just closing the position proactively.

Glad I did that - won't be actively trying to do that again.

The wisdom of the wheel seems to be in the "backup" sense of what to do when assigned or put upon. Ideally assignment is to be avoided and just harvest premiums. The $1,450 put that I got assigned I'm trying to hold onto because the value of those shares to me especially pre-split is worth more than even selling them at $1,650 with the $200 delta.

The wisdom of the wheel seems to be in the "backup" sense of what to do when assigned or put upon. Ideally assignment is to be avoided and just harvest premiums. The $1,450 put that I got assigned I'm trying to hold onto because the value of those shares to me especially pre-split is worth more than even selling them at $1,650 with the $200 delta.

This is where I've arrived at. In fact, it's the backup to the backup, where the first backup is to roll or use some other new position to replace old position type of strategy to continue collecting premium while avoiding assignment. This first backup is probably my personal biggest frontier right now. I'm trying to understand the available choices, along with indicators / patterns to help me figure out which is 'best' for different situations, and the timing / ITM / OTMness where each is effective.

I couldn't find a way to rescue my 1440 call that expired today, nor did I particularly want to. I did look at some roll possibilities, but I ended up needing to go out a month or 2 to get enough of a position improvement to even consider it. And waiting a couple of months when I've got a round trip $35, that I can continue using the next 2 months, sounded a lot better (and lower energy - I make a lot of investing decisions based on how much effort I'll expend learning about, getting in and out, and monitoring the positions).

There are situations where the wheel can generate some additional upside over and above the option premiums. My own turn through the wheel helped me decide that those situations require too much to go right / precision to reliably create them, and getting my decision making to rely as little as possible on direction or timing of share price changes is important to me.

I sold a $1750 call today in the morning for $4.2 and let it expire. I agree with you I would rather sell monthly call instead for weekly call because I don't want to spend too much time on this. Right now I am trying to be somewhat cautious because of the S&P inclusion announcement and I don't want to hold any covered calls overnight.

You may already know this; if so, consider this message for the benefit of other readers:

Calls can still be exercised past the end of trading on Friday. That means that if, for example, S&P inclusion were to be announced after hours on a Friday and the share price increased in after-hours trading, the call could still be exercised. This is why many advocate always buying back OTM calls before expiration.

(It looks like in practice, one would usually need to instruct a broker to exercise the options by 5:30 p.m. on Friday; I wonder if that's why S&P makes announcements later when they do so on Fridays? Anyway, that still leaves a 1.5 hour window where the exercise decision can be made but the option can't be traded.)

You may already know this; if so, consider this message for the benefit of other readers:

Calls can still be exercised past the end of trading on Friday. That means that if, for example, S&P inclusion were to be announced after hours on a Friday and the share price increased in after-hours trading, the call could still be exercised. This is why many advocate always buying back OTM calls before expiration.

(It looks like in practice, one would usually need to instruct a broker to exercise the options by 5:30 p.m. on Friday; I wonder if that's why S&P makes announcements later when they do so on Fridays? Anyway, that still leaves a 1.5 hour window where the exercise decision can be made but the option can't be traded.)

I'm pretty sure this is an old situation and it's now at the end of main market - we had this discussion a few months back in the main investor thread, where it was debunked and clarified.

I'm pretty sure this is an old situation and it's now at the end of main market - we had this discussion a few months back in the main investor thread, where it was debunked and clarified.

I'd love for that to be true (I usually buy back calls for $1, but occasionally say to myself on principle "no way am I paying $5 for that, it's not going to exercise" and let them expire).

I did some digging in the main thread and still couldn't find any support for expiration cutoff being end of main market. I did find this NASDAQ link though, supporting the (effective) 5:30 p.m. cutoff: Expiration time Definition

I understand that POV (I italicized & bolded), but my personal experience is that I've made more money off of assigned TSLA shares than I have with all the PUT premiums I've collected on options that expired. Lots more.

There are general guidelines to help decide what Put options to sell.

For instance, for options expiring in 3 months or less:
  • Strike price must be 4% or more below the current stock price
  • Break-even price must be 8% or more below the current stock price
  • Option premium must be 4% or more of the current stock price.
For instance, if the stock price is $1515:
  • Look for Strikes at/below $1450 that sell for $62.50 or more that result in a Break-Even at/below $1390

For options expiring in 4 months or more:
  • Strike price must be 7% or more below the current stock price
  • Break-even price must be 14% or more below the current stock price
  • Option premium must be 7% or more of the current stock price
This is pretty straightforward math, and some clever person could program a web page to pull data from yahoo/google/some brokerage and return a list of options meeting the criteria, that one could sort based on break-even or premium, etc.

I should be clear: I'm mostly considering the case of explicit exercise (where the call holder instructs their broker to exercise the option), as opposed to automatic exercise (where the broker automatically exercises it if it closes $0.01 in the money). I expect the automatic exercise to be based on the main market closing price, but I understand the explicit exercise could still come 1.5 hours after that. So if one is concerned about the risk of holding calls overnight due to after-hours events moving the share price (as I understood the case to be for @juanmedina), this is a detail worth considering.

A request of you @bxr140, if you can/will do so: if you can elaborate on the different methods you mention. I'm particularly curious in stuff like up and downside for a choice, how you choose among them or even decide that something is needed.

So fundamentally, I never exit a -C/-P at a loss. That's my #1 rule. (My other #1, as noted above, is "don't ever roll for debit"). I'll simply keep rolling until I exit through expiring worthless (or at least getting close to worthless and then closing out)--even if it takes weeks or months--by slowing burning down the negative value through progressively more favorable strikes. I certainly wouldn't suggest that's the most profitable approach as it can tie up capital that could otherwise be earning profit, but it keeps me in check on the selling side. Selling options is almost inherently a long term losing game if you don't apply some strict rules for selective entry/exit (to be fair, that's all trading, but especially with selling options), and so "never close for a loss" is my approach to never getting too deep and, ultimately, never losing.

Next, if you're trading in a Fidelity IRA (and probably many other IRA platforms?) you're pretty limited in rolling. You can't do splits and flips like you can with a regular Level 4 account. Much to my chagrin you can't even sell a call against existing shares to back into a covered call position in a Fidelity IRA (To be fair, I haven't confirmed with Fidelity whether or not that's user error on my part...).

But to answer your question, generally when it comes to selling options and especially selling naked/cash covered, you're should be doing so at a strike where your analysis says the price won't go. So for instance on a put, if your original strike was (as it should be...) below a technical support price/zone and the price blew out the bottom of that support and now you're ITM, you'd want to identify the next area of support (using whatever method works for you) for your roll-to strike price. If that next area is pretty close and especially if its strong and especially if the stock is in general strong both technically a fundamentally, you can take your chances by just rolling outa week in expiration and down in strike or however far you can go on credit, based on the logic that your analysis suggests there could be a fairly quick reversal in underlying back into your favor. But...if the signs aren't as positive, you'd want to roll farther down and, preferably, not really farther out (you want to get out of this, after all).

So if things look really shitty you could just flip the -P into a -C. This one's a pretty agressive move and I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a go-to as it explicitly means you're getting yourself out of an ITM -P and into an ITM -C, but its also the most basic: All you're doing is buying to close the -P and selling to open an equivalent value -C, again at a strike that makes sense, and again, for credit. This is mostly useful in a major tanking scenario where the whole market is going south, but can be used around earnings too if it looks like a post-earnings dump is going to keep swirling.

Just to be clear, when I say always roll for credit, I'm talking cents on the contracts (or dollars on the position). I usually try not to go below $10 just so I know any fees and commission will be covered, but at some point the credit your taking could be used for a more favorable strike/expiration. Depending on the option B/A spread, I'm usually collecting maybe tens of dollars on the position.

The other thing you can do is a split--all this means is you buy your -P to close (or -C, or spread, or whatever--none of these strategies are just about puts) and sell multiple -P's to open, 'splitting' the value of the original -P over that number of -P's for the specific purpose of having a lower strike--ostensibly one below a strong support--and, if possible, a closer expiration. This can be a bit of a rabbit hole too so you really need to be careful about it. It ties up more capital/margin and increases your downside risk. But, in moderation and in the right scenario it can be a reasonably safe and fast way to get out of a red position.

As previously noted, my go-to is a combination of the two--a split-flip. I use it all the time to pull out of ITM covered calls when I don't just want to close the position (RSUs especially), but I'll also do it with diagonals (which are sort of the all-option version of a covered call) and vertical spreads, though rarely do I go long on a vertical spread... Anyway, in that scenario I BTC my ITM -C and STO a -C with a higher strike, and then also STO a -P (and as previously noted, usually a credit spread over a naked -P), and occasionally--especially for WAY ITM -C's--multiple -P's. This works no problem in a standard four-leg orders as it ends up looking like:

BTC ITM -C
STO less ITM -C
STO OTM -P
BTO farther OTM +P

The reason I like this strategy is that it splits the current value of the ITM -C across more contracts, giving me a more favorable -C (which is the primary thing I'm trying to get out of). It also flips some of the red value to the other side of the equation, so price movement in the unfavorable direction isn't all bad--if price keeps going up on underlying those -P's are going to lose value quickly, if price moves down that makes my ITM -C less ITM, and, assuming I was smart with where I chose my -P strike, they'll still expire worthless. Bear in mind that split-flip example was solving for an ITM -C, but you can imagine it working for an ITM -P too.

Somewhat related, I'll often sell ATM or even ITM CCs during earnings week to capture the mega high Vega. For instance, on Monday two weeks ago I sold a just-ITM ROKU weekly where the time value was (I think) something like 7% of my capital on the trade. So that meant that if earnings hit I'd make 7% on my capital in 5 (or less) trading days, and if earnings tanked I'd have something like 8% (or maybe more?) downside protection. Earnings ended up pretty shitty, but I still ended up with something like $100 profit.

Yeah its good to understand that, especially in context of The Wheel, a -P is NOT the inverse of a covered call, so you absolutely shouldn't be using the same logic on choosing strike prices and expirations. The inverse of a CC is if you shorted 100 shares and then sold a -P.

So the mental model shift for me today - I'll be writing covered calls again, but I'll do so using the monthlies instead of the weeklies. Something like the 3-8 trading weeks to expiration (since I only had this observation today, I'm just starting to dial this in :D). The benefit - I had some 1650 calls expiring tomorrow that I wasn't thrilled with, but seemed like a good balance between delta, strike, and expiration.

Insert same soapbox as upthread about ∆ having little to do with selling options, but again I appreciate that you're using ∆ to try and find some way to normalize risk. I just can't stress enough for folks that maybe don't fully understand that nuance that selling options to realize ∆ is a terrible way to try and make money.

Since it sounds like you're using Fidelity, look into the "Probability Calculator" and "Profit/Loss Calculator" in the options tab. In slightly different ways both of them provide a much more accurate normalization you're looking for, in a way that incorporates the whole picture of the contract and not the very small piece of the pie that's ∆. Picking a -C/-P based on ∆ is like picking a Tesla over XYZ car because you like the frunk. Yeah, no question its cool to have a trunk. But if the reason you pick a Tesla is because of the frunk.... :cool:

Otherwise, monthly CCs really aren't a bad way to go. You get more Vega on the monthlies than the weeklies which is nice for profit, less maintenance than a weekly so that's always great, more room to run (you'd have a farther OTM strike with a monthly than a weekly), and more time to pull out of an ITM scenario if you're feeling YOLOey. And most importantly with a CC vs a naked/cash covered put, its really no big deal if you go ITM on a covered call. Being ITM basically just gives you downside protection until you can roll out of it. Obviously you get no income during that time, but each roll that moves the strike up you sort of 'unlock' more profit.

Yeah, its super sketchy to open a -C/-P position without an exit at some price target that makes sense. Basically, if you're actually letting an option expire worthless, odds are you're doing it wrong. A common value to close is $5, and some (many?) brokerages will actually waive fees when you're closing a contract that low since they don't want to deal with the hassle of potential assignment. And seriously, if you're at $5 contract value--especially if its not later in the day on Friday, its kind of insane to not close out.

But...IMHO a smarter, less agressive price target is the way to go--say, closing out when contract value is 25% of what you sold it for. A potentially more practical method to implement this is to roll the value that's left to your next preferred expiration (next week, next month, whatever). WIth pretty much any OTM contract, and especially weeklies, its a better deal to roll before close on Friday and sometimes even Thursday, unless you're sufficiently OTM on that contract and have the capital/margin to open up a new position. Depending on how close to zero your current contract value goes, its very plausible that you can find a suitable contract for next week that has better theta.

There are situations where the wheel can generate some additional upside over and above the option premiums. My own turn through the wheel helped me decide that those situations require too much to go right / precision to reliably create them, and getting my decision making to rely as little as possible on direction or timing of share price changes is important to me.

So the rub with selling options is that one can easily fall into the too-good-to-be-true trap. Its easy for a trader to be a little lax on finding proper entry and exit points based on the perceived logic of "I don't have to be right, I just have to be not wrong". Unfortunately, that approach significantly increases the already unfavorable odds that one cycle will wipe out (or more) the profit collected from many previous cycles. Make no mistake, selling options still requires diligence with an entry, exit, and stop.

For a case study on the unfavorable odds, had one sold a 1450 weekly put on Friday close they would have collected a little less than ~$1k in time value--that would be for a contract that's ~$200 OTM and has a ~10% chance of being ITM. Assuming that's average collection (it won't be, but first order, that's not a problem with the case study), over 9 cycles one makes $9k on $145k worth of capital. First blush, 6% in two months ain't so bad, right?. The issue is that on the 10th cycle that's statistically ITM, the underlying drops $200, and at that point you're just hoping you found the bottom of a pretty major drawdown. If the underlying goes down more than $10 from there (equivalent to the $1k you collected on the current contract), you're eating into the past two months of profits. If the underlying goes another $100--equivalent to the $9k you collected previously plus the $1k from the current contract--your last 2 months are a wash. If it goes farther, you're progressively more and more in the hole. And of course if that statistical ITM happens sooner in the two months, it all gets more red.

Similarly, a more agressive case using 1550 would have collected ~$2.1k on a ~25% probability ITM. Assuming 3 good weeks you're at ~$6.3k profit, but now the fourth week only needs a dip of $100 in underlying to go ITM, and a ~$184 drop in underlying to wash out the ~month's work.

The same math applies at any underlying price and any expiration timeframe, and the same math applies if you're allowing yourself to be put shares (and thus you're starting in the red). Its a tight line to walk to maintain profit with that kind of strategy, and the odds of staying on the right side of the line are SIGNIFICANTLY improved by having things like proper entry, exit, and stop targets.

Countering those case studies--and obviously a different strategy completely--for a comparison in profit, remember my "looks like we might see it drop down to high 1300's" from upthread? Had one bought an ATM call on the first drop down and back through $1400 on 7/24 (I'm using November for expiry as its a good rule of thumb to never buy calls/puts closer than ~3 months expiration), one would have laid out ~$25k in capital and would be sitting at ~$13-14k profit. In three weeks. (To be clear, that was before I made the statement). Had that same call been purchased the second time price dropped down and back out of the high 1300's, confirming that support, (that would have been on 8/10, so after I made the statement), one would have even more profit.

As it stands I bought calls a little too aggressively on that price target, risking a bigger drawdown in an attempt to beat the flag breakout. I bought near close of 7/31, which was around $1430 underlying--and I bought $1600 (Nov) calls to reduce my ∆ exposure a bit, so I'm "only" sitting at $9.4k/contract profit right now. Futures are looking good right now and while Asia-Pac is split, Shanghai is up like 2.3% (to be fair, TSLA seems to deviate from the market more than other stocks...but TSLA is increasingly heavy in China so seeing DJSH up can't be bad news), so there's a good chance I'll open to a nice jump in profit.

The point is that the level of effort is basically equivalent in the two strategies (I'm actively charting TSLA either way), the position I took basically waited for [what I deemed] a quality entry point, whereas the -P strategy relies on quantity over quantity to return results. And, since any kind of trading or investing is all about making money, it does seem to make sense to focus on quality of unbounded profit positions over quantity of bounded and limited profit positions...