Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The (seemingly) inevitable march upwards makes selling options, and especially calls, the wrong strategy (in case anybody isn't clear on that) to take best advantage of that constantly rising share price. Nonetheless it fits with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Though I do believe the bias is heavily upwards, my success at picking direction, magnitude, and timing for buying options is bad. If I believed strongly enough in the upwards move, then the better choice would be buying calls (open ended gains as the shares go up) over selling puts (defined gains as the shares go up). Because of how buying calls has gone, I'm more comfortable selling these aggressive puts over buying calls. I mention this to make it clear - as a general proposition, buying calls is a better money maker with a constant up move in the shares (I choose for my own reasons, mentioned above, not to do that).

Positions changes:
On the put side, after selling Sep 4 1900 strike puts yesterday, I closed those this morning for a ~50% profit and sold new Sep 4 2100 strike puts (.30 delta). My thinking is two sided. 1) if the shares keep marching upwards, then I now have a ~$60 option on a short (7 trading days) leash that will decay rapidly (thus generating absolute returns faster than the old option I closed). 2) If the shares reverse, then I'll be happy on the call side, and I'm ready to roll these down to lower strikes as needed. The puts are already ahead $8 while I've been writing this post.

On the call side, I decided to go ahead and roll the Sep 2200s to Oct 2400s, collecting a net credit of ~$20. The alternative I considered was the Oct 2450 strike which I could have reached with a ~$2 net credit. I can readily imagine that being the better choice :)

That $20 net credit arises from buying to close those calls at $176 while selling to open at $195. That means I've realized a loss of ~$146 on the options I closed and created a new position at the $195 premium. For how I'm tracking, that's going to make August look bad (though I also net increased my cash balance). And it's probably not going to be until at least the Oct monthly is close or at expiration before this position will resolve.

I had originally planned to wait until $2250 share price, but the shares are moving so far, so fast, and the 2200s are already ITM, I decided to proceed now. As best I can tell, from about $50 OTM to $50 ITM, the roll options yielded roughly the same outcomes - a $15 net credit and a $200 increase in the strike. I think it's better to think of that as ~2% OTM to 2% ITM. This is the window I'm working with right now as yielding the best rolls, given that the strike I'm rolling to is at most 2 months out. If I need to roll again really soon, then I might need to roll 2 months instead of 1 to get a large increase in strike along with a net credit.

I have some Sep 2300s as well which I expect I'll need to roll soon as well, though I'm waiting for now to provide additional time to collect the time value and waiting for a regression / pause that refreshes / drop in the shares.

Bigger picture, selling the shares at $3000 with the credits I'm collecting along the way is a good outcome for me. That'll represent locking in gains that are life changing for my family, so steadily rolling up to the $3000 strike and then being called away is a good thing (as is selling the options along the way and finishing OTM). Oh - and at that strike ($2700 actually), that'll make my original purchase of TSLA into my first AND second 10-bagger; that doesn't actually mean anything tangible, but I think it's cool!

I sold a $2500 for next Friday for $22 yesterday with the intended of closing the trade tomorrow and is not looking good lol. I don't have the option to roll the contract with Vanguard. I can close the trade but I think I am ok with letting the share go for $2500.... the stock cannot keep going up forever, right? :eek:

I sold a $2500 for next Friday for $22 yesterday with the intended of closing the trade tomorrow and is not looking good lol. I don't have the option to roll the contract with Vanguard. I can close the trade but I think I am ok with letting the share go for $2500.... the stock cannot keep going up forever, right? :eek:

No, it can't. But the market can be irrational longer than we can be solvent. So it MIGHT keep going up like this to $4000, or $6000.

And it might turn around and drop 1/3rd or 1/2. Or ... or ... or ...

Having the roll trade ticket available is a biggie. It's essential in one of my accounts to manage the position (I can only change the position via a roll as I don't have enough cash there to do the first leg by itself, and then do the second leg by itself).

Reactions: juanmedina
I have some Sep 2300s as well which I expect I'll need to roll soon as well, though I'm waiting for now to provide additional time to collect the time value and waiting for a regression / pause that refreshes / drop in the shares.

Quoting myself from earlier this morning - I've also gone ahead and rolled the Sep 2300 to Oct 2600. I looked as part of my planning ahead to have some choices planned out on how I'll react based on different share price behaviors. When I went looking, I could roll out and up for a $9 credit and a $300 increase in the strike, and I like being further out like this.

As with the other calls rolled today, I've got a large realized loss on the first leg of the roll (roughly $135 loss from $25 initial premium, and closing at $160) while the second leg is a new position at $171.

My monthly tracking now shows August as a really bad month, with enough premium in new positions to eventually recover all of those losses and show a profit at the end. Oh - and the cash balances are increasing as well. And September is unlikely to see those losses recovered and the small / income level profits realized.

A few important ideas I've been experiencing and learning:
1) sell option and collect premium isn't enough to know. These big moves (in either direction) are not good for the underlying strategy of "sell option and collect premium". There are other strategies that DO perform well in this environment (specifically - the strong directional move).

2) My first few months were quite boring, with each month generating a small and consistent amount of income from selling options. In this context, small is relative to the overall portfolio, while being a large enough income to replace and then some my current paycheck.

3) But the recent month is reinforcing the idea that those first few months aren't the only way this works in practice. The overall results can be quite lumpy, and you need to be ready to handle that lumpiness.

I bet there are other contributors to the thread that will have other observations as well.

This is also a good time to mention again - read the first page (at minimum) of the thread if you haven't already. There are critical assumptions and context laid out there, at least relevant to what I've been writing about my experiences. I repeat some of it in each post, but not all of it, and those assumptions / context are critical to understanding what's going on.

There are also links there to some starter option education if you haven't already acquired that from somewhere else. This stuff only makes sense given that starter education at a minimum.

(And I'm not a pro; I've only been doing this for a few months. Make your own decisions and suffer your own consequences, good and bad).

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceAggie
I sold a $2500 for next Friday for $22 yesterday with the intend of closing the trade tomorrow and is not looking good lol. I don't have the option to roll the contract with Vanguard. I can close the trade but I think I am ok with letting the shares go for $2500.... the stock cannot keep going up forever, right? :eek:

I was looking at the probability of OTM and POP just now for that option that I sold and they are 79.5% and 82% respectively. We will see how that works out. When I sold the call it was 25% OTM and the IV was 77%ish vs 91% right now.

A few important ideas I've been experiencing and learning:

...The overall results can be quite lumpy, and you need to be ready to handle that lumpiness.

Yeah, the TLDR on selling options is that if you maintain a static recurring strategy, your odds of coming out net positive aren't that great. The good news is that a more comprehensive strategy for selling options can pay out, if not much less than more traditional directional trading strategies. There are times when one can be a little more agressive (like, selling on the far side of a strong price) and times when one should not even enter a position (like if IV is low, or like selling calls against an ATH rally)

For insight into the way I view the world of selling options, TSLA IV is sort of mid-range right now, which isn't awesome but its not terrible. I see ~$1850 as a reasonably safe short term strike price for a -P--say, 9/11 for ~$2800-2900 premium (if you bought at today's close). That's at 90% prob OTM, 17% off current TSLA price, and effectively returns ~.1% on capital per day on a 15 day trade (not counting a sensible exit before expiration). I see $1400 a decent mid term strike price for a -P--call it November for maybe $6800-6900. That's coincidentally ~89% prob OTM, 37% off current, and effectively ~.05%/day return on capital, but it is also (IMHO) a pretty strong price. A LOT will need to go wrong for TSLA to push down below the July price volume.

I'm not selling either one of those because I'd rather make real money buying calls (my recent round of TSLA +C's, purchased 7/31, are all up 200-300% and up ~$7-9k per contract today) but if I did I'd probably wrap them into a vertical, if options trading level allowed. For instance wrapping that 1400 into a 1400/1250 vertical returns ~half the premium at well under 20% the capital. For me, that math checks out all day and all night. Double up on the contracts to make the same premium if necessary. Or YOLO it and 5x the contracts to pull in ~$15k or whatever on $125k. (Pro tip: Do not YOLO it)

How far out do you guys think wheels strategies make sense? Is it entirely dependent on premiums or is there a sweet spot? So far I've been hitting about 2 weeks out.

I think it's got a wide variety of expirations. I've been working weeklies (3-8 trading days) on the put side, and monthlies (3 - 8 weeks). I'm also thinking now about 2 year covered calls. I think it's a function of how closely you want to monitor and adjust positions, along with strikes you would be comfortable selling (or buying on puts) at.

More generally, selling options and particularly calls in this rapidly rising share environment is about the worst timing available. The wheel works optimally in a flat to slowly up or down share environment. It does badly in rapidly rising or dropping share environment.

Neither are the ones I sold. :) I was expecting a pullback after the split, but the strength of the stock is really something.

Seems like there was a flood of buyers who were heretofore scared of the high price.

The good news is that, while selling covered calls into an ATH rally is almost always a terrible idea, it is at least one without downside...just capped upside.

Neither are the ones I sold. :) I was expecting a pullback after the split, but the strength of the stock is really something.

I've had some 480 and 520 calls out in October I'm not feeling really peachy about. I rolled the 480 Oct calls to Sep '22 840 for a net $52 credit. For a 2 year option, this works out to $2/month premium on the call side (digging out from a pretty large realized loss; otherwise this is a $5/month premium over 24 months).

I missed my limit order for the 520 roll to Sep '22 840; I plan to continue attempting to make this roll.

I closed the 9/4 420 put for a 75% gain. I then sold the September '21 600 strike put for a $225 premium (seriously - like 40% of the strike as premium). This works out to $15-$20/month for the year option duration.

The big change here is using 1 year and 2 year options, where I have previously been using weekly puts and monthly calls.

The reasons for this change:
1) I did some math on these long dated options and it turns out that my monthly earnings, whether it's over 1 year or 2, works out to close enough to the earnings I think I'll get using the shorter dated options, that I can cut back on my effort by using these longer dated options.

Worth noting - I make this sound like such a simple decision, and yet I'm confident that I couldn't have made this decision 5 months back when I started this with the shorter dated options. I've needed to have a practical education to get here.

2) Less effort! I figure these options need roughly monthly and maybe quarterly monitoring. I figure the soonest either puts or calls can reasonably be ready for an early close is the halfway mark. Less effort has been a goal from the beginning, and I'm feeling pretty happy about this shift.

3) Taxes. I'm a believer in the idea that taxes follows other stuff (i.e. not my primary concern). That being said, taxes will come due when these positions are closed. So the put position will probably close sometime next year, which means the gain on the sale of the option (or loss) will be realized next year, and I have the cash from the sale now to do ... whatever I want. Including paying bills in retirement.

The premium on the call sale probably won't be resolved until sometime in '22, so the taxes from that are pushed out two years (with cash in hand now, as above).

3) On the call side, I can get out to a strike that I still expect we'll hit before expiration, but that I'm comfortable being assigned at (and which I can also choose to roll in a year or 2). By comfortable, I mean that the portfolio is big enough today that I'm planning for retirement - I think of this as pre-selling the shares (and being paid the net $52 credit), which will yield a 50% bigger portfolio than needed. 50% more than enough is .. well .. 50% more than enough. That's a nice bit of cushion, but I've already got cushion. So the retirement planner at least should be happy that I'm "exiting" a good chunk of my TSLA position and locking in gains (admittedly in 2 years).

To be clear, I don't really plan to exit TSLA in 2 years, but I like earning a decent month-to-month income between now and then.

4) On the put side, I sold puts that are $100 ITM roughly, and only 1 year out. I'm thinking heavily up from here for the shares and I want the less frequent monitoring of options, and these longer dated puts generated a lot of cash. Since I think the bias in the shares is heavily upwards, that'll provide more room for the put premium to decay while also supporting infrequent monitoring.

Risks - shares could go down. The puts are already ITM, so I'd be buying shares at $375 which I'd love to do (a year from now). So feeling pretty good about this position.

Or shares could go up - a lot. If the shares go well beyond 840 and do it fast (a reasonable likelihood IMHO) then I'll miss out on gains past $840 when the shares are called away in 2 years; a result that yields 50% more than enough.

And in both positions, if they've aged long enough and are still within this approximate range, then I'll also have the choice to close early or roll.

All of this is relative to my situation and context; not advice.

@bxr140 I have a call in my after tax account that is DITM with a delta of 0.9 I think I am going to close them but I would like to be able to pay the tax bill next year as it is a short term trade. Someone said that I should sell the next strike call to lock the profit but someone else said that I will still have to pay taxes this year. Is that accurate? it is a Jun 21 call. Another option is to exercise the call and hold the shares for longer than a year to only pay long term capital gains. Do you have any suggestions?

+C or -C? Either way, if you roll the contract (or, obviously, if you close the contract) you'll realize gains/losses this year, if you wait till next year to roll/close, you realize next year.

I do not know how taxes work if you exercise a contract, so I can't really help there. Assuming exercising loops around The Tax Man, I guess the important math for me would be a combination of 1) what would you do with that capital over the next year that would otherwise be tied up in these shares and 2) what do you expect the underlying price to do over the next year? If the combination of potential profit from 1 and the downside of 2 (given the doom and gloom of a supposed recession soon, we may see some FUDdy price action over the next year) get anywhere close to the ∆ in short versus long term tax, I'd personally just close the position now and eat the short term tax.

Be advised that I am primarily a technical trader and an advocate of "time is exposure", and as such pretty much exclusively hold actively traded positions for days-weeks. Occasionally months. I'd rather take profit and pay short term taxes on a trade that hit my price targets and be out of the market most of the time. I end up with a lot of woulda-shouldas, but also maintain pretty step-functioned balances with minimal drawdowns, which is my primary goal. (For funsies: Earlier this year I had 5000x SOXL at a cost basis of ~$85. I took profit in a week at around $105. SOXL closed at $267 today. :eek:)

Reactions: juanmedina
Welp, my call for 4 Sep at $540, sold for $3.40 on Monday when the SP was $440, is probably going to be well ITM by Friday (over $500 increase pre-split price, crazy!). :eek: Fate giving me the finger for dipping my toes into the Options market!

But, now I have more money than I expected this early, so I'm probably going to tempt fate again and sell some covered puts until I need the cash or they get exercised. Probably keep it fairly conservative.

+C or -C? Either way, if you roll the contract (or, obviously, if you close the contract) you'll realize gains/losses this year, if you wait till next year to roll/close, you realize next year.

I do not know how taxes work if you exercise a contract, so I can't really help there. Assuming exercising loops around The Tax Man, I guess the important math for me would be a combination of 1) what would you do with that capital over the next year that would otherwise be tied up in these shares and 2) what do you expect the underlying price to do over the next year? If the combination of potential profit from 1 and the downside of 2 (given the doom and gloom of a supposed recession soon, we may see some FUDdy price action over the next year) get anywhere close to the ∆ in short versus long term tax, I'd personally just close the position now and eat the short term tax.

Be advised that I am primarily a technical trader and an advocate of "time is exposure", and as such pretty much exclusively hold actively traded positions for days-weeks. Occasionally months. I'd rather take profit and pay short term taxes on a trade that hit my price targets and be out of the market most of the time. I end up with a lot of woulda-shouldas, but also maintain pretty step-functioned balances with minimal drawdowns, which is my primary goal. (For funsies: Earlier this year I had 5000x SOXL at a cost basis of ~$85. I took profit in a week at around $105. SOXL closed at $267 today. :eek:)

Its a call I bought when we where in the 900s, it is almost at about 60 shares per contract so is getting maxed out and is not growing as much.