Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Approximate cost per mile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

5 cents is cost per mile

50kw X 0.21kw = $10.50

$10.50 / 210 = $0.05

500 miles cost $25.00

These are both incorrect answers, taking the data provided, due to them not accounting for charging losses (and unit problems). Just explaining the disagrees (which I rarely use - nothing personal at all; the answers are just wrong).

Anyone know of a app/program that will do this using USD?

Electric car journey cost calculator - Compare EV with petrol or diesel

Stats was mentioned above as an option. You have the car already, don't you, so not sure what the car journey cost calculator is going to add for you?

It's just two calculations to compare:

Electric:
Wh/mi (AC; not what the car says, multiply car value by 1.3 for simplicity) * $/kWh * 1kWh/1000Wh = $ /mi

Gas:
$/gal / MPG = $ /mi.

Personally, though @Phlier does not seem to have this problem, I can sadly no longer use Stats. It just keeps waking up my car and then letting it go back to sleep, once every hour. It's no good (for me), for this reason - no reason to constantly be waking and sleeping the car like that. It also doesn't matter if you're logged in or logged out of the app - as long as Stats has your credential the servers will ping the car, as far as I can tell, anyway. (I could be wrong and maybe there's another explanation.) I've spoken to the developer but he wasn't helpful for me (I'll ask again since I've now narrowed it down specifically to Stats).

This is a little off topic but if your tires were warn out at 15K miles like mine, that is around 8 cent a mile just for tires (assuming $1200 for replacement cost) . Will be limiting the 0-60 launches on the new set of tires. I estimate each launch costs at least a dollar in tire wear. BTW, my car is the LR RWD, I think the all wheel drive fairs better on launch tire wear.

For those using this:

This assumes 291Wh/mi for the calculations, which means a displayed value in the car for your lifetime trip meter of about 210-220Wh/mi (depends on assumptions; this assumes the 1.3-1.4 scaling factor, which is very reasonable in most less severe climates, with modest feature use). Very "best" case is ~240Wh/mi displayed in the car for a warm climate with no feature use. In a much colder climate (with preheating, feature use, etc.), you'd need to be getting about 195Wh/mi in the car, to have these calculations be correct.

So: depends on the situation, but generally this calculator will be very optimistic for an EV which is being used to commute on freeways, or being used in the winter. In those conditions (freeway runs in winter at 70+mph, with Sentry mode used), it's very reasonable to expect 450Wh/mi from the wall. (So add 55% to this calculator's cost result for the EV for that scenario.)

Worth restating again: all of these calculations are impossible to generalize, since it depends very much on how many miles the car is driven per month (drives down fixed overhead cost), which features are being used, the length of each drive, and the climate.

The simple formula, using 1.3 multiplier on displayed Wh/mi for mild climates and 1.5 multiplier for harsh climates, gets pretty close to correct, but there are ways to do better, and worse.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jon.W. and Phlier
This is a little off topic but if your tires were warn out at 15K miles like mine, that is around 8 cent a mile just for tires (assuming $1200 for replacement cost) . Will be limiting the 0-60 launches on the new set of tires. I estimate each launch costs at least a dollar in tire wear. BTW, my car is the LR RWD, I think the all wheel drive fairs better on launch tire wear.

That's a lot off topic, and you are paying way too much for tires. My Michelin PS4S(Costco, installed at 50 miles) and X-Ice3(Tirerack) tire sets each cost around $800, AND had a significant rebate attached(after the $800). So far I'm at around 38k miles, and both sets have around two more years of use in them. My 3 has AWD which would clearly help in acceleration wear, but shouldn't help much in other arenas of wear.

If you had an ICE car capable of similar performance, you'd be burning through tires on it as well.