Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arachnid wheels: locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What!? Are they false reassurance? Do thieves have some sort of universal tool to take them off? While I knew there is a way to get a wheel lock off with enough effort/tools/time, I thought they were more of a deterrent than just 30 secs.
This is the first youtube video I found:

I've never removed Gorilla spinner wheel locks personally, but I've removed regular wheel locks when I stripped my key and was too cheap to buy another one from the dealership. If you come prepared with a hammer, a socket, and a breaker bar, it's less than 30 seconds.

Gorilla makes five different kinds of wheel locks. Three of them are as above, they can be taken off with the "hammer-a-socket" trick. No real security.

However, the other two models have features to prevent this method of defeat. The Gorilla Guard locks take it up one notch, they have a metal guard ring around the keyed portion of the wheel lock that prevents hammering a socket over them.

The Gorilla X2 Locks take it one step further, and have a two-stage system where the top of the lock is free-spinning. Hammering a socket over these won't get you anywhere, because it'll just spin.

I use the X2s, they appear to be very secure.

Also, you have to take into account that wheel locks are very inexpensive. The proper X2 wheel locks for the Model S are model 71641X, and are all of $24. Even if the locks only ever prevent teenagers from pulling a prank, $24 is totally worth it. Plus, the X2's stand a good chance of deterring even professional thieves.

Having said all that, if someone wants your wheels bad enough, they'll just steal the car and get them off at the chop shop. Locks are no substitute for insurance. But they're one layer of defense that provides a high protection-to-cost ratio.

Nah, with spinners instead of knocking the socket over the whole thing, you take a smaller socket and knock it into the hole bolt head with a hammer. Take a breaker bar and done. Same effect.

Based on what I've seen, I'm not convinced there aren't wheel locks that can't be removed. I haven't looked into the dual stage ones, but I'm sure someone out there figured out how to remove them by now.

Last edited:
The Gorilla X2 Locks take it one step further, and have a two-stage system where the top of the lock is free-spinning. Hammering a socket over these won't get you anywhere, because it'll just spin.
Just found a video that applies to this. Line up the spinning part with the base part, put a small nail in the groove, hammer in a socket in place. The nail prevents the spinning. Should have enough grip to torque the lock off.

But overall, I do agree with you. It gives you some piece of mind if you have 2 Tesla's with the same wheels, one with guards one without.

Just found a video that applies to this. Line up the spinning part with the base part, put a small nail in the groove, hammer in a socket in place. The nail prevents the spinning. Should have enough grip to torque the lock off.

Grooves are pretty small. Any nail that would fit in there would be subject to 129 ft-lbs of torque trying to take the lock off. I'll bet the nail shears before the nut comes off.

If you really want a lock that can't be defeated with anything, they do exist: Rimlox

But I don't recommend them. They're $400 per set, have a very complicated key control system that involves trusting a certified dealer with your key, the need to send the key back to Rimlox every time it's used, and their guarantee doesn't cover your wheels and tires if the car is stolen.

$24 for the X2's is a great buy, in my opinion. If you want extra protection, combine one set of X2's with one set of Gorilla Guards, model 61641 for $15. Total $39, and it's highly unlikely that anyone will get the wheels off without the keys unless they steal the car or deliberately break something.

If you really want a lock that can't be defeated with anything, they do exist: Rimlox

But I don't recommend them. They're $400 per set, have a very complicated key control system that involves trusting a certified dealer with your key, the need to send the key back to Rimlox every time it's used, and their guarantee doesn't cover your wheels and tires if the car is stolen.
They look pretty cool, but their website is a POS. I can't figure out for the life of me how the damn things actually work and prevent theft, heh.

Wow - thanks for all the discussion and viewpoints. I agree - it's a cheap investment for a deterrent. I'm not sure how common wheel thefts are these days anyhow.

I'm interested in the X2's but they only make them in chrome right now -- I'd like black to better match the dark grey arachnids.

Teslas are so heavy - if a thief is trying to steal my wheels, I'll bet they don't use a jackpoint properly and will damage the car, frame, or battery in the attempt, and might even be crushed by the car because of jacking up on a non-structural part (ultimate deterrent!).

They look pretty cool, but their website is a POS. I can't figure out for the life of me how the damn things actually work and prevent theft, heh.

OK, so take a look at this image of the actual locking nut:

factory_lug_nut.jpg

You take an original lug nut off, and one of these threads on with the cone face inward. (The one on the far left has the cone facing upward, this is the side that goes towards the wheel hub). The one in the foreground has the outside facing up, the three notches and one raised bump in the rear form the key pattern. Note that around the rim, this side is also tapered.

These things are sized such that the widest outer diameter of the entire lock is barely able to fit into the bolt hole. Once it's threaded onto the stud and tightened down with the key, there is absolutely no clearance around the lock to grab it with anything. The only thing that can possibly turn it is the key that fits those bumps/notches, all of which are different.

They custom-make each lock set with a unique key pattern (no master keys) and custom diameter to fit exactly your wheel's bolt hole.

They then take the original lug nut, shave down the wheel-facing side, and then it can thread onto the same stud and tighten down on top of the Rimlox, and you have a complete factory look.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Max*
OK, so take a look at this image of the actual locking nut:

factory_lug_nut.jpg

You take an original lug nut off, and one of these threads on with the cone face inward. (The one on the far left has the cone facing upward, this is the side that goes towards the wheel hub). The one in the foreground has the outside facing up, the three notches and one raised bump in the rear form the key pattern. Note that around the rim, this side is also tapered.

These things are sized such that the widest outer diameter of the entire lock is barely able to fit into the bolt hole. Once it's threaded onto the stud and tightened down with the key, there is absolutely no clearance around the lock to grab it with anything. The only thing that can possibly turn it is the key that fits those bumps/notches, all of which are different.

They custom-make each lock set with a unique key pattern (no master keys) and custom diameter to fit exactly your wheel's bolt hole.

They then take the original lug nut, shave down the wheel-facing side, and then it can thread onto the same stud and tighten down on top of the Rimlox, and you have a complete factory look.
That's pretty cool. Thanks for the explanation. If only their website did a better job. In hindsight, I might be slow... ;)