Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arachnids Powder Coated in Sonic Carbon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVortex

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2018
Florida
6281FCE2-D205-4E75-85CF-6C1D491DD4F1.jpeg
I got my new Model S in March of this year with 21” Turbines in Sonic Carbon. I really like the stock wheel color, especially on a black Model S. I started looking around for a set of silver arachnids with the idea of powder coating them in Sonic Carbon because a factory set in that color would have cost a lot more and are more difficult to source. I finally found a new referral set of silver arachnids with tires, caps, and TPMS sensors for a great price on Craigslist so I bought them and started looking into powder coating. I learned that although there are a couple of paint companies that have a formula for Sonic Carbon paint, there doesn’t seem to be a Sonic Carbon formula for powder coating. Some have used stock powder coating colors that come close to matching Sonic Carbon, but they are typically not exact matches. I really wanted Sonic Carbon so I kept looking. I finally spoke to Rim-Pros in Sacramento and they proposed a three step powder coat process using a powder base, a color coat, and then a powder clear on top. The result above turned out very nice. The center cap is stock and not repainted or recoated so it provides a good point of reference to compare the wheel color to stock. The entire set cost $900 to powder coat at Rim-Pros so I ended up with a new set of sonic carbon arachnids including tires and TPMS sensors for a total of $3200. I already changed to my winter set of 19” TST wheels and Pirelli Centuratos so I will be waiting until spring to install the arachnids, but I am really looking forward to trying them out.

Reactions: BHCLUC and Corsair
WOW! I forgot how great those look, but I just could not take the harsher ride relative to the 19"s

so.....

I actually have a set of OEM factory Sonic carbon (grey) Arachnids bagged up in my garage in case anyone is interested in them! They have 3000mi on the tires and are in immaculate shape. PM me as I don't mean to hijack this thread.

WOW! I forgot how great those look, but I just could not take the harsher ride relative to the 19"s

so.....

I actually have a set of OEM factory Sonic carbon (grey) Arachnids bagged up in my garage in case anyone is interested in them! They have 3000mi on the tires and are in immaculate shape. PM me as I don't mean to hijack this thread.

No worries, Muzzman1. I just posted this for others who might want to powder coat in Sonic Carbon. I had a difficult time figuring it out and finding a powder coat shop that would work with me to get the result I was looking for, so I wanted to add this to the forum knowledge base.

I hope you find a buyer for your stock set. I actually prefer the stiffer ride on 21s - a little too much roll on the 19s for my taste, but I use 19s for my winter set as I found the turbine 21s (with Contis) to hydroplane excessively in the rain. Not sure how the lighter 21 inch arachnids will do in comparison to the turbines in rain, but will stick with 19s for the winter set for now.

Reactions: Muzzman1
I have a few sets of custom powder coated rims and plan on doing another pair of arachnids. I have a pair of staggered arachnids and staggered turbines and want to do another color combination with my other arachnids so I would sale these for the right price. The arachnid's are powder coated red and gloss black, no paint all powder coat. This process took 30 days as compared to the 3-5 days for one color. Both rims have black with red, the turbines we kept just the lip red and rest satin black and of course the Tesla logos were done as well, no stickers. These could go on a black, red and even white Tesla, especially if you added red accents on the chrome delete on a white Tesla
IMG_6542.JPG
IMG_6539.JPG
IMG_E6496.JPG
IMG_E6590.JPG

IMG_20180915_124600752_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20180915_124323821_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_E6835.JPG
IMG_6978.PNG
IMG_E7002.JPG

View attachment 342644 I got my new Model S in March of this year with 21” Turbines in Sonic Carbon. I really like the stock wheel color, especially on a black Model S. I started looking around for a set of silver arachnids with the idea of powder coating them in Sonic Carbon because a factory set in that color would have cost a lot more and are more difficult to source. I finally found a new referral set of silver arachnids with tires, caps, and TPMS sensors for a great price on Craigslist so I bought them and started looking into powder coating. I learned that although there are a couple of paint companies that have a formula for Sonic Carbon paint, there doesn’t seem to be a Sonic Carbon formula for powder coating. Some have used stock powder coating colors that come close to matching Sonic Carbon, but they are typically not exact matches. I really wanted Sonic Carbon so I kept looking. I finally spoke to Rim-Pros in Sacramento and they proposed a three step powder coat process using a powder base, a color coat, and then a powder clear on top. The result above turned out very nice. The center cap is stock and not repainted or recoated so it provides a good point of reference to compare the wheel color to stock. The entire set cost $900 to powder coat at Rim-Pros so I ended up with a new set of sonic carbon arachnids including tires and TPMS sensors for a total of $3200. I already changed to my winter set of 19” TST wheels and Pirelli Centuratos so I will be waiting until spring to install the arachnids, but I am really looking forward to trying them out.

What base and clear did they use? Where did you get the Sonic Carbon paint for the middle layer? I'm looking to do the exact same thing as you and having difficulty finding a company that can do it.

Manufacturers and product codes would be extremely helpful if you can provide them!

Looks great!

View attachment 342644 I got my new Model S in March of this year with 21” Turbines in Sonic Carbon. I really like the stock wheel color, especially on a black Model S. I started looking around for a set of silver arachnids with the idea of powder coating them in Sonic Carbon because a factory set in that color would have cost a lot more and are more difficult to source. I finally found a new referral set of silver arachnids with tires, caps, and TPMS sensors for a great price on Craigslist so I bought them and started looking into powder coating. I learned that although there are a couple of paint companies that have a formula for Sonic Carbon paint, there doesn’t seem to be a Sonic Carbon formula for powder coating. Some have used stock powder coating colors that come close to matching Sonic Carbon, but they are typically not exact matches. I really wanted Sonic Carbon so I kept looking. I finally spoke to Rim-Pros in Sacramento and they proposed a three step powder coat process using a powder base, a color coat, and then a powder clear on top. The result above turned out very nice. The center cap is stock and not repainted or recoated so it provides a good point of reference to compare the wheel color to stock. The entire set cost $900 to powder coat at Rim-Pros so I ended up with a new set of sonic carbon arachnids including tires and TPMS sensors for a total of $3200. I already changed to my winter set of 19” TST wheels and Pirelli Centuratos so I will be waiting until spring to install the arachnids, but I am really looking forward to trying them out.

And where did you find the OEM center caps?

Thanks for sharing, looks great! In your process did you happen to find a good source for Sonic Carbon wheel touch up paint?

What base and clear did they use? Where did you get the Sonic Carbon paint for the middle layer? I'm looking to do the exact same thing as you and having difficulty finding a company that can do it.

Manufacturers and product codes would be extremely helpful if you can provide them!

Looks great!

I am not sure of the codes for the black powder coat base and clear powder coat top. Rim Pros Sacramento did the work. Here is a post about paint codes others have identified:

Paint Color Code for the Grey 21" Wheels?

• Informative
Reactions: thinklabinc