Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Are bragging rights worth $15k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem. I back my car into a very narrow spot off a narrow drive. Takes 5-6 forward/back turns. The screen setup was terrible for that. I found it fine everywhere else.
That is pretty much my scenario. It still has a long ways to go though for the auto select for which direction. I just want to a big box store today and parked right in front of a huge light pole. When I get back in the car it told me to go forward, and put it in forward when I pressed on the brake.

A scenario I pointed out a long time ago where this will really be terrible is if you have to rock the car like if you were stuck in some mud or snow.

Bragging rights? eh, kinda? sheer power... absolutely IMHO.

If you value acceleration, get the Plaid. Reading your responses a bit, I think you are of the mindset. The Plaid will not disappoint.

I have never had anyone say "wow, a Model S!" but when we are talking cars, and I mention Plaid, typically at work, talking about cars (I work with a lot of tech-types/gear heads)... someone always goes "wait, legit Plaid? and the room gets educated by them on the Plaid, I don't normally need to say much. My boss owns a Mclaren, we share roadway stories and dragstrip tales. I don't know if that would be as entertaining if I had a base model. Also, in a room full of engineers, the "symphony of engineering genius" that is the Model S Plaid comes up in conversation. I enjoy those chats and being able to participate first-hand. If you do too? don't cut it at the base MS.

I also recommend Enhanced Auto Pilot. When you are talking a $100k car, $6k is a drop in the bucket for a car that can now change lanes, NOA, be summoned, and park itself. Yeah... a bit of a parlor trick at times, but there are functional reasons for all of the above (like someone parking too close). I purchased EAP, and I love it.

I think, if the budget can manage it (be responsible of course) you can never regret getting the Plaid. If you get a base model, you will always be wondering... what if I had.

My 2 cents, GL friend!

I would prefer to go the other way. Have another model 10k cheaper at $64,990 and 0-60 of same delta (1.99 for Plaid, LR 3.1 , 4.21 new cheaper model). I would prefer the luxury and features but dont need crazy straight line performance.

Fortunately, you can swap the yoke for a wheel whereas in 2021, no real options. The gear selector still sucks but Enhance auto (maker of S3XY buttons) is working on stalks that may replace gear selector and the turn signals. You can use little buttons to help find the turn signals quicker, but they still are bad on roundabouts.

All the poor SOBs buying the new 3 are getting stuck with the same hideous controls the S/X have now.
I actually like the gear selector being touch buttons on the center console.
Better than on the screen

After years driving a MYP and reading several posts by Daytrippin I opted to get the Plaid (23) and have absolutely no regrets. Sadly, the MYP I handed down to my wife makes me sad to drive now as it feels like driving a VW Beetle by comparison. Yes, 15k is a lot of money but to be able to afford Any of these cars means you worked your butt off in life so why Not get what you will enjoy with every drive. As someone noted earlier, talking to people and saying I have a Tesla they often say thats nice. When you say I have a Plaid, that’s a completely different conversation. Puts a smile on my face Every single day. So glad I viewed it more as cost to own vs cost to enter. An amazing personal rocket that few get to experience in our short lives.

Why don't you get a Ford Focus instead - if you are really talking about financial sense.

buy what you like and can afford.

If you can only afford Model S - fine - nothing wrong with that.

but trying to justify a cheaper purchase vs Plaid does not even make any sense.

Go to youtube and tell me how many people are viewing Model S or Plaid vs hypercars...
or for that matter how many people are thrilled with MSLR vs Plaid

I have thought about the price delta between the MS LR and the Plaid where doesn't make any sense to me to buy the Plaid. When I ordered my MS LR, the price difference was about 50k. For me at the time, it wasn't worth the 50k extra for the Plaid.

I still thought the Plaid was a good deal considering the performance it had, especially against other cars. With the MS LR, I thought you got about 90% of the Plaid's performance for about 65% of the price. For me the MS LR made more sense at the time. At least based on Tesla's performance claims. At the time there was no track mode either which I did place some value on.

A lot changed for me in the past 2 years. Tesla finally came clean about what you'd need to unlock the top speed or at least raise it to 200. There was more substance around the track pack brakes. Hard numbers finally came out regarding the MS LR's true capabilities. I found the LR underperformed and while there should have been more to differentiate the two models, the Plaid ultimately became a better buy when the price delta is so low.

If the price delta was 50k again, I'd probably pass the Plaid again but it would be harder this time after living with it for some time. When it is 20k or less, it is an easy decision to make if you can afford it and value performance. Its not about bragging rights. I've removed the decals from my car. It is all about how it makes me feel when I dial up the power to 11 and let it rip. If the Plaid was a ride at an amusement park I'd ride it all day long. Now I have an unlimited pass instead.

It's not about bragging rights. It's about why would I do a side-grade from my '21 M3P which is about the same speed as the LR o_O I'm so used to the M3P's acceleration that it's boring now.

Plaid incoming. Thanks Daddy Elon 🥰

IMG_0132.jpg

I meant to comment about what you said about the M3P's acceleration and that it became boring. I won't say that I am to that point with the Plaid yet, but I am pretty accustomed to it.

I think all speed is relative. I used to race a lot of motorcycle enduros and offroad events as well as roadrace. There were times flying through the woods of Michigan at 30 mph and I felt I was hanging on by a thread as it felt like all the trees were passing by me at warp speed. Then later in the year I'd be out running a desert race and be flat out at 120 mph and feel like I was barely moving.

Out on the track the MSP feels pretty good. Put it on the street where everything is a bit closer and it definitely ramps everything up a bit for a sensory overload perspective if you are not paying attention. WIth the 3, you can afford to make a mistake at times. WIth the Plaid, you better have a big space cleared in front of you when you pull the trigger. That car that looked way off in the distance when you hit will be seemingly parked in front of your bumper.

My turbo and supercharged motorcycles are quicker but they never let you forget they are working hard. You can't just randomly hit the throttle or things are going sideways or into a massive wheelie very quickly. The Plaid just hurtles you forward like being catapulted off a carrier. The ease, lack of noise, and no mess, with which it does it is boring/sterile mixed with incredible. It has totally ruined me for other street cars. Probably the first real street car that makes me want to take it out instead of one of my hyperbikes.

I meant to comment about what you said about the M3P's acceleration and that it became boring. I won't say that I am to that point with the Plaid yet, but I am pretty accustomed to it.

I think all speed is relative. I used to race a lot of motorcycle enduros and offroad events as well as roadrace. There were times flying through the woods of Michigan at 30 mph and I felt I was hanging on by a thread as it felt like all the trees were passing by me at warp speed. Then later in the year I'd be out running a desert race and be flat out at 120 mph and feel like I was barely moving.

Out on the track the MSP feels pretty good. Put it on the street where everything is a bit closer and it definitely ramps everything up a bit for a sensory overload perspective if you are not paying attention. WIth the 3, you can afford to make a mistake at times. WIth the Plaid, you better have a big space cleared in front of you when you pull the trigger. That car that looked way off in the distance when you hit will be seemingly parked in front of your bumper.

My turbo and supercharged motorcycles are quicker but they never let you forget they are working hard. You can't just randomly hit the throttle or things are going sideways or into a massive wheelie very quickly. The Plaid just hurtles you forward like being catapulted off a carrier. The ease, lack of noise, and no mess, with which it does it is boring/sterile mixed with incredible. It has totally ruined me for other street cars. Probably the first real street car that makes me want to take it out instead of one of my hyperbikes.

Nice post!

It's true, plaids ruin the rest of the cars for me too lol.

Reactions: SO16 and DayTrippin

Redbud Michigan for the win. Many humbling days racing there….

Yeah the M3P is super forgiving. I'll treat the Plaid more like the BMW M3 I had before, that thing could get you into trouble since it was a RWD model. I'm a very defensive driver by nature.

The motorcycles sound scary, something I will never try to experience o_O

Nice post!

It's true, plaids ruin the rest of the cars for me too lol.
Thanks. Hard to be a Plaid for what you get.

Redbud Michigan for the win. Many humbling days racing there….
Yep, I was there quite a few times too. I ran the Jack Pine a few times as well. I spent a lot of time in the UP. Those ski resorts made great places for hill climbs in the summer. I always liked going to Frankenmuth. It reminded me of Helen, GA.

I've always appreciated that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Driving a fast car fast, beats all the other options. Though a race through the Austrian Alps in a Mk1 Ford Fiesta 1 liter I was driving vs a Citroen 2CV ranks high on my list of memorable moments. For both cars you should measure their 0-60 times with a sundial.

Reactions: Yelobird