Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are bragging rights worth $15k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the price drop, I’m seriously considering a Model S. I used to own a ‘22 LR, and liked it a lot. I sold it when prices got so crazy and made a few bucks. When comparing the LR and Plaid, the cars appear to be exactly the same, other than speed. The LR I owned was no slouch, and I can’t imagine ever needing to go 200mph. I do enjoy acceleration, but is a 0-60 one second improvement worth $15k? I’ll never track the car. Are bragging rights worth $15k?

Count me on the side that says $15k is a bargain for what you get. I sold my MS LR to get the MSP for a few reason that may or may not be relevant.

When I ordered my LR, it was supposed to run 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. It never was close to that. My M3 LR w/boost was honestly not much slower than my MS LR. The LR lacked the visceral 3 of what I was looking for. Any M3P would beat the MS LR to 60 on almost any charge level. The MS LR launched pretty softly but pulled pretty nicely in the midrange.

I moved to an area where I was doing less highway driving and more around town. The MSP launched so much harder than the LR it is a different world. So even a quick 0-30 launch was fun whereas with the LR, it just reinforced that Tesla dumbed it down not to compete with the Plaid.

The Plaid supposedly upgraded the brakes over the LR, can't say it was much if they did. I went with the track pack brakes and OMFG, it now has world class brakes to match its acceleration.

The other bonuses for the 15k upgrade in my book were, carbon fiber trim, and track mode. I really wish track mode was available for the non-P cars as well. You can dial in the front to rear power distribution to your liking. You can instantly turn your Plaid into a 700-hp RWD drift car. Or whatever front to rear bias you want. You get torque vectoring for the rear which really takes the handling up a huge notch.

In the end I found the MSP was more fun in the 0-30 range as well as at higher speeds. The Plaid will do 60-130 mph about as quickly as the MS LR will do 0-70 if that helps you put the power in perspective. One added bonus in my area is for some reason the MSP has been cheaper to ensure than my MS LR was of the same vintage. Not hugely so but about $200/yr.

If you value performance, the Plaid is still the bargain of the century currently. The MS LR is a good car, and I might have still owned it, if Tesla hadn't lied about the 0-60 times. It should have never been slower than any of the M3 variants. In the end very glad I spent the difference for the Plaid.

@Ray_R, if the only reason you'd get a plaid is to impress other people, then don't do it. On the other hand, if YOU enjoy it (and let me tell you, I DO enjoy it), then get it, because it's worth the extra money. Pressing down a quarter of the throttle on the Plaid at any speed under 100 MPH will give you that feeling you get when fully floored in the LR. It's effortless and will be done often :). And if you completely floor the Plaid...OMG, it's mind shaking, unbelievably fast. Like, nothing you've ever experienced before fast.

Put another way, if you don't care about speed or aren't interested in performance, then don't spend the extra money. If you are though, it's definitely worth it to own the fastest car on the road*, at least once in your lifetime.

* that cost under $4 million and have more than 100 produced

The upcharge for the additonal Plaid performance is less expensive than equilivent performance upgrades from any other car on the planet.

For those wanting bragging rights it is well priced. For those wanting the acutal performance gains, it is a financial no brainer.

But more to the point, the standard long range Model X is a great value right now by itself. For most owners, no additional performance is necessary.

I have a MYP now, and I feel the MSLR I had previously would accelerate harder from a dead stop and even more so accelerating from speed. I’m sure the Plaid would be more so. The carbon fiber bits on the Plaid don’t matter to me. I actually prefer the wood trim. Would having a third motor introduce just another potential point of failure? I never hear much about motor failures on any EV, so probably not. Perhaps, from an acceleration perspective, I should take the advice from that TV insurance commercial. “It’s better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.” ;)
For reference, my last “hot rod” was a Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Nice car, but I struggled to get it to hook up on the street, even with 335 series DOT tires on the rear.

I have a MYP now, and I feel the MSLR I had previously would accelerate harder from a dead stop and even more so accelerating from speed. I’m sure the Plaid would be more so. The carbon fiber bits on the Plaid don’t matter to me. I actually prefer the wood trim. Would having a third motor introduce just another potential point of failure? I never hear much about motor failures on any EV, so probably not. Perhaps, from an acceleration perspective, I should take the advice from that TV insurance commercial. “It’s better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.” ;)
For reference, my last “hot rod” was a Challenger Hellcat Redeye. Nice car, but I struggled to get it to hook up on the street, even with 335 series DOT tires on the rear.
This is what I like to read considering going from a MYP to. MSLR.

No, and I own a Plaid. I bought it because the price was within my acceptable range but I've launched the thing twice (back-to-back on same day to finally try it) in the c/a 8k miles and 8-months I've owned it. I have also evolved into the "I know I can demolish 99% of the cars I encounter on the road, so what's the point) guy, so much so that I can't recall the last time I actually engaged someone in a "spirited acceleration" contest, including some idiot in a Q5 2.0T who thought such a contest made sense. Unless you just want the egotistical satisfaction of knowing you have the top model, that extra second doesn't make a lot of sense unless you're going to track the thing or race everyone who lines up next to you at a light. And even then you'd probably still win in the regular MSLR.

If you value an adrenaline rush, then yes. Otherwise if you drive like a normal person, then no.

The Plaid isn't just a little bit faster than the LR, it's significantly faster. When I test drove the LR, it felt a little bit faster than my MYP, it doesn't really open up until >60mph IMO.

The Plaid ****ing terrified me from a standstill and I've driven a 1000hp GTR

If you're really considering it, I'd go rent one for a day on Turo and experience it yourself

This is what I like to read considering going from a MYP to. MSLR.
FYI - I ran a few MYPs with my MS LR. It was a very tight race up until about 50 mph; then the MS LR would just run away and hide from an MYP. If I ran an M3P, they would beat me every time until I'd finally catch them at about 70 mph and then run away.

If rolling at about 40-50 mph, the MS LR is going to destroy any M3P or MYP, and will pull the past P100D versions. The faster you go, the more it favors the MS LR. There isn't any speed that the Plaid doesn't just flat demolish the MS LR. Keep in mind though that the MS LR, even with its soft launch, is still Lambo quick in the 1/4 and will pull the Taycan Turbo S in the 1/4 (ran a few of those) but they will beat it badly to 60 mph.

I've spent far more on upgrades for ICE cars that didn't get me the improvement you get by going Plaid. Not to mention the basic reliability of the Plaid for how quick it is. MS LR = Lambo fast; MS Plaid = Bugatti Chiron fast.

/Cue Jeopardy theme:
Contestant: Alex, I'll take the category, "Cars that can smoke supercars for under $100k", please.
Alex: What car can smoke a Bugatti Chiron for under $100k?

We all know the answer to that. Every day I am out enjoying it too.

FYI - I ran a few MYPs with my MS LR. It was a very tight race up until about 50 mph; then the MS LR would just run away and hide from an MYP. If I ran an M3P, they would beat me every time until I'd finally catch them at about 70 mph and then run away.

If rolling at about 40-50 mph, the MS LR is going to destroy any M3P or MYP, and will pull the past P100D versions. The faster you go, the more it favors the MS LR. There isn't any speed that the Plaid doesn't just flat demolish the MS LR. Keep in mind though that the MS LR, even with its soft launch, is still Lambo quick in the 1/4 and will pull the Taycan Turbo S in the 1/4 (ran a few of those) but they will beat it badly to 60 mph.

I've spent far more on upgrades for ICE cars that didn't get me the improvement you get by going Plaid. Not to mention the basic reliability of the Plaid for how quick it is. MS LR = Lambo fast; MS Plaid = Bugatti Chiron fast.

/Cue Jeopardy theme:
Contestant: Alex, I'll take the category, "Cars that can smoke supercars for under $100k", please.
Alex: What car can smoke a Bugatti Chiron for under $100k?

We all know the answer to that. Every day I am out enjoying it too.
But knowing the car can smoke a Bugatti Chiron is simply bragging rights. How often would you encounter one on the road in a situation to prove it? I’ve never seen one on the road, much less lined up with one at a stop light.
Good points for and against here. I still haven’t decided yet. Which year LR did you have? Mine sure felt like it pulled harder from a stop than what you describe.

Last edited:
But knowing the car can smoke a Bugatti Chiron is simply bragging rights. How often would you encounter one on the road in a situation to prove it? I’ve never seen one on the road, much less lined up with one at a stop light.
Good points for and against here. I still haven’t decided yet. Which year LR did you have? Mine sure felt like it pulled harder from a stop than what you describe.
At least people can relate to the speed of the Chiron. IF I say its typically quicker than my old ZX14 my son has, or about as quick as my 'turbo busa to 60 mph, they can't relate unless they are a motorcycle guy. I guarantee you I exercise the performance of the Plaid far more often than the typical hypercars/supercars owner in my neighborhood. The area is littered with McLarens, Astons, Ferraris, Lambos, Modded turbo-Porsches, etc. I've run quite a few of them. Still haven't gotten the one Bugatti I've seen out to run yet.

My MS LR was a refreshed 2022. I made hundreds of runs in it. Typical 0-60 was about 3.4-3.5. That was no rollout. Which puts it right in the ballpark of the MYP and slower than the M3P. Best run was 3.28. There is a long thread on this very topic here. Comparatively it picks up against most cars from about 40-50 mph. I think the best run I've seen on Dragy for a MS LR is something like 3.18 and that still doesn't meet the claimed 3.1 time. Many M3P's will beat their claimed 3.1 time. I know they are claimed differently from Tesla (rollout vs no-rollout).

Reactions: teko and Ray_R