Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are BT OBDII a security/safety risk, or a big one ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Devices like this, mention "safe" on the box, the BT code is 1234 , there is no safety.

20180214_223404.jpg

We love to use them with "Scan My Tesla" or "TM-Spy" apps, so far, so great.
Those apps/device interface CAN3 bus, (Powertrain) a malicious hacker could easily inject pedal signals !

Imagine a script piece like this:
1 look for OBDII BT devices
2 attempt to connect
3 determine if it's a Tesla
4 inject powertrain commands.

The pedals, and the motor, does speak CAN after all..
Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) - the one that controls Drive/reverse/neutral/parking brake.... does also speak CAN

One could probably command a parked car.
So it may be dangerous to have those modules in...

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
So there is no way to change the default passcode?

Whilst it is a possible attack vector, just keep in mind. You would have to be within 10 feet of a powered dongle and even then. The tdc connector is connected to the internal Ethernet switch.

So should be read only as I think the switch only unlocks data flow when the diagnosis tool can send the service code heartbeat in the correct sequences

yes, no code change, but one could always shield it a bit to reduce range...
Also, the author of "scan my tesla" app, mentioned there were sequence numbers and checksums for the drivetrain data, making MITM attach harder, and (if checksums are more like signing data) very hard.

So yes... it seems like the risk is not that big..

Does anyone actually know if the OBD2 port (CAN bus data) is read only?

I have a LELink 2 bluetooth LE dongle installed to use TM-Spy. Right now, it appears to power off when the car is off so I'm not too concerned. However, no pairing is required (Bluetooth LE).