Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Chevron car washes or do it yourself car washes okay for a model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the SF Bay area, and all through California I guess, there are a lot of car washes at Chevron gas stations. I think they are touch-less and that they are all pretty similar? I have driven through one of them before with my old Honda Civic, but I have been wary of doing that with the model 3 we got last November. One concern is high pressure of the water. Can that cause problems in anyway?

Additionally, what about the do-it-yourself carwashes where you put in some money and get like 10 minutes of high pressure soap or rinse to use. Can the high pressure do bad things? Are the areas on the car that I should avoid hitting to much with high pressure soap or rinse? Is that better or worse than the touchless Chevron drive-through car washes?

Any advice is most welcome. Mostly I am just trying to get off bug splatter and other things that might be bad for the car in the long run. I am not too concerned about a perfect appearance. I have heard that high-pressure can cause problems for a model 3, but I am not sure if that is really an issue of not? (PS. I have ONR, but usually don't have time to use that properly.)

In the SF Bay area, and all through California I guess, there are a lot of car washes at Chevron gas stations. I think they are touch-less and that they are all pretty similar? I have driven through one of them before with my old Honda Civic, but I have been wary of doing that with the model 3 we got last November. One concern is high pressure of the water. Can that cause problems in anyway?

Additionally, what about the do-it-yourself carwashes where you put in some money and get like 10 minutes of high pressure soap or rinse to use. Can the high pressure do bad things? Are the areas on the car that I should avoid hitting to much with high pressure soap or rinse? Is that better or worse than the touchless Chevron drive-through car washes?

Any advice is most welcome. Mostly I am just trying to get off bug splatter and other things that might be bad for the car in the long run. I am not too concerned about a perfect appearance. I have heard that high-pressure can cause problems for a model 3, but I am not sure if that is really an issue of not? (PS. I have ONR, but usually don't have time to use that properly.)
You will find a lot of answers in the owner's manual.

• Disagree
Reactions: MaryAnning3
You will find a lot of answers in the owner's manual.
Well, it says:
"
Caution: Avoid using a high pressure power washer on the camera(s) or parking sensors (if equipped) and do not clean a sensor or camera lens with a sharp or abrasive object that can scratch or damage its surface."

So based on that I am not sure if the typical Chevron Station touchless car washes are okay or not? (Because that seems like a high-pressure power wash to me.)

I realize it also says "
Caution: If washing in an automatic car wash, use Touchless car washes only.
but
Avoid using a high pressure power washer on the camera(s) or parking sensors (if equipped) and do not clean a sensor or camera lens with a sharp or abrasive object that can scratch or damage its surface."
suggest to me that maybe neither is okay?
So I am looking for some guidance from people with more experience.

I guess what I am asking is: given these warnings (below) one could reasonably infer that even a brushless car is not a good idea. Agree or disagree? What is your experience?

"Caution: Avoid using a high pressure power washer on the camera(s) or parking sensors (if equipped) and do not clean a sensor or camera lens with a sharp or abrasive object that can scratch or damage its surface.
If using a pressure washer, maintain a distance of at least 12" (30 cm) between the nozzle and the surface of Model 3. Keep the nozzle moving and do not concentrate the water jet on any one area.

Caution: Do not aim water hoses directly at window, door or hood seals, or through wheel apertures onto brake components

I use the touchless wash system that works its way around the car. No brushes. I then drive to my garage and dry off any remaining water.

They don't work great but they won't hurt the car. High pressure is a relative term and the touches systems or not very high pressure.

• Helpful
i use a pressure washer at home when cleaning my car, i attach a foam cannon first, then pressure rinse, 2 bucket hand wash, pressure rinse again and dry. takes about 30 minutes. i ceramic coated my car so when its time to dry i take my leaf blower and its 95% dry in about 30 seconds. i use a microfiber for the random drips afterwards.

if im feeling extra detailed i finish with a silica top coat spray