Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are control arms a problem on Y's like they are in X's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 P90D Model X with AP1 and free supercharging (140k miles). It has every single option and I love it but the suspension issues have been a nightmare, basically every 18-24 months spending $1k-$3K replacing various parts - half shafts, control arms, etc. Now I'm getting air suspension errors. I'm looking at a Y today and was wondering if it's similar as I don't see nearly as many posts here as in the X forum.

Trace

It does not. No air suspension obviously, but the X half shaft issues are unique to that vehicle design and the platform being shared with the S.

Bottom line, you won’t have the acceleration shudder. The Y is less heavy than the X too, which helps with handling of course, but I suspect will help with wear and tear type issues as well.

I loved my X (especially after I got the N2itive parts), but I tradedthe 6 year old model in and transferred the FSD to a new Model Y. Wow, Tesla is much better at building cars in 2023 than they were in when I bought my X in 2017!

Reactions: Silicon Desert
It does not. No air suspension obviously, but the X half shaft issues are unique to that vehicle design and the platform being shared with the S.

Bottom line, you won’t have the acceleration shudder. The Y is less heavy than the X too, which helps with handling of course, but I suspect will help with wear and tear type issues as well.

I loved my X (especially after I got the N2itive parts), but I tradedthe 6 year old model in and transferred the FSD to a new Model Y. Wow, Tesla is much better at building cars in 2023 than they were in when I bought my X in 2017!
Sounds like EXACTLY what I was going to say. Also, OP, on our 2016 X, since we had the new designed Clevis mounts replaced in the X a few years ago, we never had an issue after that time and over 50K miles.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom