Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are exterior conduits the new norm????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrician said the attic is cooler than the above the roof. Less voltage drop. That is one technical reason to route inside attic.

I then caved to the project lead saying “we are cutting into the stucco then.” I was scared. They put on the roof. I saw it at a distance as it went over the ridge. Looks bad. I recanted. Called sales and said hey I don’t like it. Work was redone.

The electrician was right. Inside is better. After this, the fear was gone the stucco team was class-act awesome. Can’t tell at all it was a stucco repair. If I knew better I would have had them cut into the side of the house and done inside the wall hidden conduit. SunWorks stayed by their word, and pivoted without argument.

I made sure to get a installer was onboard with the in the attic before signing contract. A promise is a promise. Some places like Peterson Dean asks for $200 more to do thru the attic installs.

Fast forward to PWs install with Tesla. Originally was going to do hidden conduit but the team wasn’t prepared. A project manager came into and noted the extra work for the $1000 I contracted them to do it. I was sensible walked down to an exposed conduit inside the finished garaged (painted & textured drywall). The cosmetics on same order as the shiny silver garage door hardware. No harm no foul. Tesla executed nicely. They alerted me of the complication of hidden conduit for the fire rated wall the PWs rested against. It was going to be a partial hidden conduit job for $1000. Tesla eliminated the line item charge.

Please paint the exposed conduit even if your city doesn’t require it. Then apply the red safety polyester decals.

Last edited:
Electrician said the attic is cooler than the above the roof. Less voltage drop. That is one technical reason to route inside attic.

Unless the attic is finished, insulated, and air conditioned, it will be hotter inside.

But in either case it won't make a difference. It's not the wire temperature that matters but the panel temperature. Yes wire temperature could matter if you could cool the wire enough to approach superconduction but you'd have to cool the copper to -441F or cooler ;)

When planning our 44 solar panel/4 PW system our installer recommended running the conduit through the attic. We were already going to have a more complex installation due to our concrete roof tiles - and running the conduit through the attic only added a small additional amount of work.

The only exposed conduit runs down the outside of our house from the underside of the roof overhang down to the electrical panels - and that conduit was painted the same as the stucco wall.

Because our home has sprayed foam insulation in the walls and the underside of the attic, our attic doesn't get more than a few degrees warmer than the interior.

For the other solar installations in our area, the installers chose to run exposed conduits across the roof - and down the outside walls and made no attempts to hide or paint the conduit, evidently taking the easiest path to install the system, without worrying about reducing the visual impact.