Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are people with SSDs still getting corrupt sentry files?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m using a sandisk ultra 128gb thumb drive and often still get corrupt files and the right repeater (mostly) won’t record. It also corrupts the drive every now and then and i have to reformat it (fat32). Are SSDs recording perfect with the newer updates?

I’m using a sandisk ultra 128gb thumb drive and often still get corrupt files and the right repeater (mostly) won’t record. It also corrupts the drive every now and then and i have to reformat it (fat32). Are SSDs recording perfect with the newer updates?

There are almost certainly two distinct issues:
  • Filesystem corruption -- Tesla provides, AFAIK, no way to unmount (aka "eject," "safely remove," or other terminology) a device. You can stop recording, but that's not the same thing; even after you stop recording, the Tesla's computer may be sitting on cached data that's not been written to the device. Even once the cache is cleared (that is, the last of the video data is written to the drive), the "dirty bit" will remain set, but that's not likely to cause any real problems. The difficulty with this is that filesystem damage can build up, particularly if you remove your USB drive with any regularity. As damage accumulates, you can start seeing damage to individual files and general weirdness, which can culminate in TeslaCam and Sentry Mode not working at all. To avoid this problem, be sure to do a filesystem check on the SentryCam device whenever you unplug it. How you do this depends on the desktop/laptop OS you use. Creating a fresh filesystem (that is, "reformatting" the drive) will also get the job done, but of course you should do this only after you review the videos you wanted to see.
  • Corrupt video files -- Just about everybody on this forum who's commented on the matter has described corrupt video files coming out of Sentry Mode, and sometimes from TeslaCam, too. The cause of this remains unclear, but the symptoms and extremely common nature of the problems suggest that it is not a fault in the USB drive hardware. In particular, there seems to be corruption, which manifests in different ways depending on the video player used, that mostly affects the bottom part of the video image. In extreme cases, files are of 0 length. These symptoms are inconsistent with failing recording media, which would more likely cause completely random glitches that either come and go or affect all videos. Note that by "recording failing media," I would include the chips in the USB drive as well as devices working loose from their USB connectors and even defective USB interface circuitry within the Tesla. Thus, this problem looks like a fault in the Tesla's video processing circuitry or algorithms, not a problem with the SSD hardware or filesystem corruption.

• Informative
Reactions: SDRick and bay74
To further clarify and elaborate, USB flash drives can go bad. This is especially likely when they're used heavily for an extended period of time and/or when they're exposed to high temperatures. Both things can happen to a drive used for TeslaCam, and especially if you make heavy use of Sentry Mode, too. An affected drive might suddenly become read-only; seem to change in size; begin producing corrupt files (but not in the systematic way noted in my previous post, where only the lower part of the image is affected); or become completely inaccessible, to name just some failure types I've seen. SSDs use the same general type of circuits that USB flash drives do, but different chips are manufactured to different specifications in terms of the number of read/write cycles and temperature sensitivity. Such information is hard to track down for a lot of consumer products, though, and I don't know the extent to which different ratings would make any real difference in a drive used for TeslaCam. Thus, I can't recommend specific devices. You might have better luck using a device that's rated for use at high temperatures and/or for more read/write cycles, though. You'll need to dig into spec sheets to find this sort of information. One thing to definitely avoid is el-cheapo generic devices you'll find on eBay or the like. These drives are, in my experience, built to the lowest possible quality for sale at the lowest possible price. I've had only about a 50% success rate with such devices, even when used at room temperature for light duty cycles.

Currently I get something like 95% good sentry mode videos. Using a sandisk 250gb ssd. In a dark parking garage it's closer to 100%. The thing that still seems to blow up the files is direct sunlight on the side cameras, then I get degraded recording usually., but sometimes it just quits. I say currently because one of the recent upgrades changed the video codec used and I'm getting much better performance now.

• Informative
Reactions: Thomas Edison
This is a little different, but someone might have an idea. Question…my usb icon in my music player has disappeared. When I put a properly set up (FAT32) usb drive into the front connector, filled with music, the usb icon doesn’t show up. Any ideas on why I no longer I have a usb icon showing up?

There are almost certainly two distinct issues:
  • Filesystem corruption -- Tesla provides, AFAIK, no way to unmount (aka "eject," "safely remove," or other terminology) a device. You can stop recording, but that's not the same thing; even after you stop recording, the Tesla's computer may be sitting on cached data that's not been written to the device. Even once the cache is cleared (that is, the last of the video data is written to the drive), the "dirty bit" will remain set, but that's not likely to cause any real problems. The difficulty with this is that filesystem damage can build up, particularly if you remove your USB drive with any regularity. As damage accumulates, you can start seeing damage to individual files and general weirdness, which can culminate in TeslaCam and Sentry Mode not working at all. To avoid this problem, be sure to do a filesystem check on the SentryCam device whenever you unplug it. How you do this depends on the desktop/laptop OS you use. Creating a fresh filesystem (that is, "reformatting" the drive) will also get the job done, but of course you should do this only after you review the videos you wanted to see.
  • Corrupt video files -- Just about everybody on this forum who's commented on the matter has described corrupt video files coming out of Sentry Mode, and sometimes from TeslaCam, too. The cause of this remains unclear, but the symptoms and extremely common nature of the problems suggest that it is not a fault in the USB drive hardware. In particular, there seems to be corruption, which manifests in different ways depending on the video player used, that mostly affects the bottom part of the video image. In extreme cases, files are of 0 length. These symptoms are inconsistent with failing recording media, which would more likely cause completely random glitches that either come and go or affect all videos. Note that by "recording failing media," I would include the chips in the USB drive as well as devices working loose from their USB connectors and even defective USB interface circuitry within the Tesla. Thus, this problem looks like a fault in the Tesla's video processing circuitry or algorithms, not a problem with the SSD hardware or filesystem corruption.

So I guess that's a round about answer that the SSD drives experience the same errors?

I'm on 20.4.2 and I still have about the same trouble with video captures as ever. As you describe, it's corrupt files that won't play, zero length files, and right repeater degradation.