Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Service Centers Correcting Door Hinges with Hammers and Chisels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have noticed multiple posts documenting "paint chips" and banged up door hinges - a more recent post contained pictures that, to me, look like someone took a hammer and chisel to the door hinges.....What do you guys think?

hinge2.png
Hinge1.png

Having corrected several car doors in my 60 years of owning and driving, I have to say that using a hammer and something to pound on in order to move a hinge a fraction of a millimeter is common practice. Loosen the screws just a teensy bit, whack the hinge, check the door, rinse and repeat until it fits, tighten the screws. I have done this on cars from Mazdas to Mercedes. Not uncommon. I suppose they could use touch-up paint on the mark, or, so could you. Buy some, use it, and save it for other inevitable dings and marks down the road (literally).

Having corrected several car doors in my 60 years of owning and driving, I have to say that using a hammer and something to pound on in order to move a hinge a fraction of a millimeter is common practice. Loosen the screws just a teensy bit, whack the hinge, check the door, rinse and repeat until it fits, tighten the screws. I have done this on cars from Mazdas to Mercedes. Not uncommon. I suppose they could use touch-up paint on the mark, or, so could you. Buy some, use it, and save it for other inevitable dings and marks down the road (literally).
Yeah, if your car is a Harley
In no way is that acceptable to bang metal to metal as a regular practice on paint

At first I thought you and I have the same exact issues until I realized those are crops of my pics. The service center touched up those area along with other spots. Now the bare metal is no longer exposed and susceptible to rust. Since those are all hidden areas I'm ok with touch up paint.

I fixed my front driver door on my model 3 about a year ago. It was off where the chrome trim of the front and rear door meet by about 1 cm. It wasn't closing very well either.

After watching an ancient youtube video on door alignment, I first attempted to only adjust the loop that the door attaches to when closed since it seemed like the door was aligned when barely open, and then pulled down when closed. That worked a bit. But I eventually adjusted the door further down by loosening the actual hinge bolts. That was quite scary because there's a lot of degrees of freedom once you do that. The door can tilt up, down, forward, back, inward, outward. Combined that with the loop variation and it's a hot mess.

I got the trim aligned, but the door had shifted forward and if I opened the door it would rub/buckle the front quarter panel. Yikes. At that point I went into fighter pilot mode and with a little luck and focus got it seated dead on and tightened everything. I gained a lot of appreciation for just how difficult it is to align a door - yet of course all other manufacturers have figured this out as I've never had to adjust a door on ~20 owned vehicles. Another surprising thing was just how loose the door hinge bolts were - barely torqued at all but I have no idea what the torque specs are.