Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are service centers going to be able to handle repairs with “flood gates opening”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m patentially waiting to get my Model 3 and I’m pretty tolerant of dealing with minor issues that are to be expected from a new car. That said, I’m a bit worried about whether the service centers are going to be able to deal with the volume of repairs that are naturally going to increase as more orders are fulfilled. Anyone else worried about this? I don’t hear too much talk of this, but I dread thinking about owning a car where one needs to wait weeks to fix minor issues.

Thoughts? I’m I being paranoid or does this seem like a genuine concern for owners?

Tesla has been growing rapidly for their entire history. They are well aware of what they need to service their customers.

To avoid wasting money, expansion is usually delayed until the last minute...and because they are overworked, sometimes isn't finished until after it is needed. There are occasional growing pains. But they know what they need to do, and it will get done.

Depends on where you are at ...if you are in southern cal ...than yes service centers are slammed .....a bigger concern I would be worried about is availability of parts

Yeah parts availability is a concern too. That said with my current Mazda I had to wait almost 3 months for a steering pump a few years back so it’s not unheard of for other manufacturers to have parts issues too I guess.

Service centers are great, and they definitely been streamlining and improving throughput with various policies over the last two years. Parts though... for some reason service can always get parts in a day or two, but body shops take 1-3 months (source: I’ve been to the service center and needed parts at least 3 times, and a body shop on two separate occasions for my X over the past two years). They really need to figure out the body shop thing, it’s the worst part about Tesla.

No. That’s why there’s been an effort to ramp up mobile service depots. Parts are shipped in, the vans go out to owners’ homes and business locations, and probably 80% of SvC work is accomplished remotely.

Clearly the mobile techs are not going to replace a drive unit, but they can do a lot. It’s an understated competitive advantage that just has to grow a bit before people really notice.

I’m patentially waiting to get my Model 3 and I’m pretty tolerant of dealing with minor issues that are to be expected from a new car. That said, I’m a bit worried about whether the service centers are going to be able to deal with the volume of repairs that are naturally going to increase as more orders are fulfilled. Anyone else worried about this? I don’t hear too much talk of this, but I dread thinking about owning a car where one needs to wait weeks to fix minor issues.

Thoughts? I’m I being paranoid or does this seem like a genuine concern for owners?
If you are tolerant of the possibility of minor issues then I don't understand the reason for this thread.
Fwiw, I am actually tolerant but my car has no issues that would require a Tesla visit. Not disappointed though.

Service is not going to be the issue, parts availability has been horrendous. It took me over 2 months to get a windshield!! There are multiple stories on this forum of major part delays. We can only hope that the supply line gets rolling for basic stuff like glass, fenders, etc...It is not as like they have 15 models to deal with...

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
If you are tolerant of the possibility of minor issues then I don't understand the reason for this thread.
Fwiw, I am actually tolerant but my car has no issues that would require a Tesla visit. Not disappointed though.

I’ll clarify. I’m tolerant of needing to go back to the service center for getting issues fixed (not that this should be required for a new car) but I’m not as tolerant if there are major delays and the car needs to be kept for extended periods of time.

I’ll clarify. I’m tolerant of needing to go back to the service center for getting issues fixed (not that this should be required for a new car) but I’m not as tolerant if there are major delays and the car needs to be kept for extended periods of time.
I'll clarify: are you willing to wait a while to have a trivial issue solved, until the SC has an opening for you ? I just presume that they are mostly busy delivering cars. Serious issues are a different matter, and I would expect Tesla to expedite a repair.

I hope so. I picked up my M3 on Sun (7/1). On Monday it said auto emergency braking is disabled and to call Tesla. In addition to the auto braking, traction control, cruise control, brake hold, and regenerative braking weren't functioning. Brought it in this am (7/3). Was told there's a firmware bug that's causing the issues. My Tesla app says they tried to update software but it failed twice. So I'm definitely not getting it back today or tomorrow (service center is closed for the holiday). It drove really great on Sunday going home. Couple of things that was tough getting used to were 1) turn signal stalk doesn't stay up or down when engaged for a turn (the blinker works correctly but the stalk resets to the neutral position right away, not after the turn is made), 2) the car starts when you step on the brake (although you don't hear anything) 3) getting used to making adjustments via the screen), 4) closing the front truck takes A LOT of pressure, 5) not actually turning off the car (it turns itself off after you open the door, as long as you put it in park), 6) walking away from the car and assuming it's actually locking itself (there's no audible chirp and by the time you're far enough away for it to lock you can't hear the subtle click), 7) getting used to the door opening up by itself when you hit the button as opposed to using a mechanical handle, 8) pushing the gear stalk down to engage cruise control (that one took me forever to figure out in the 1st place). I love the regenerative braking aspect, it's like smooth downshifting without the need for a clutch. The rear backup camera is the sharpest I've ever seen. The seats are very comfortable. Good acceleration. For those interested, I picked up my car from the fremont center. It only had 181 miles charged on it and had 15 miles on the odometer. I plugged it into a 220volt plug and it charged at 23mph. It had 81 when I dropped it off at Burlingame. Even with the issues, I have no regrets with this purchase.

I hope so. I picked up my M3 on Sun (7/1). On Monday it said auto emergency braking is disabled and to call Tesla. In addition to the auto braking, traction control, cruise control, brake hold, and regenerative braking weren't functioning. Brought it in this am (7/3). Was told there's a firmware bug that's causing the issues. My Tesla app says they tried to update software but it failed twice. So I'm definitely not getting it back today or tomorrow (service center is closed for the holiday). It drove really great on Sunday going home. Couple of things that was tough getting used to were 1) turn signal stalk doesn't stay up or down when engaged for a turn (the blinker works correctly but the stalk resets to the neutral position right away, not after the turn is made), 2) the car starts when you step on the brake (although you don't hear anything) 3) getting used to making adjustments via the screen), 4) closing the front truck takes A LOT of pressure, 5) not actually turning off the car (it turns itself off after you open the door, as long as you put it in park), 6) walking away from the car and assuming it's actually locking itself (there's no audible chirp and by the time you're far enough away for it to lock you can't hear the subtle click), 7) getting used to the door opening up by itself when you hit the button as opposed to using a mechanical handle, 8) pushing the gear stalk down to engage cruise control (that one took me forever to figure out in the 1st place). I love the regenerative braking aspect, it's like smooth downshifting without the need for a clutch. The rear backup camera is the sharpest I've ever seen. The seats are very comfortable. Good acceleration. For those interested, I picked up my car from the fremont center. It only had 181 miles charged on it and had 15 miles on the odometer. I plugged it into a 220volt plug and it charged at 23mph. It had 81 when I dropped it off at Burlingame. Even with the issues, I have no regrets with this purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
Back in 2017, I would have had no issue getting Tesla loaners, including Model X occasionally if I got lucky. In 2018, I have not had one Tesla loaner. They gave me Enterprise (Mercedes C class, jeep, cadillac xts, etc.) loaners on premise. One time they called me on my appointment day that they not only not have Tesla loaner they ran out of Enterprise as well.

Other than loaner issue I have not experienced major delays in getting my car back.