Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are tesla solar panels this delicate? :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
ouch

Attachments

• tiles.jpg
    tiles.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 93
Hmmm..... a question. Does everyone call up their homeowners insurance and specifically add the system?

Perhaps a basic question but I just finished install yesterday. :)

I changed insurance companies last year (auto / home / umbrella). When I got quotes, I told the agents I had solar panels, but the company I went with (who gave me the lowest combined price), the agent "conveniently forgot" to include the solar panels in the quote.

I know this, because after I selected them and got the policy in place, I got a letter later saying that (paraphrasing) their external review of my property had determined that I had XX number of solar panels, and that changed my property valuation from X to Y, which increased my premium from A to E. I always intended them to be on there, so it annoyed me that I missed it wasnt on there when I was reviewing the quotes they sent me.

Because that was "my fault" (for not noticing the rep "forgot" to include the solar panels I specifically told him about), I didnt go back and raise heck with them, but I certainly wasnt happy. Live and learn, I knew better than to just give it a quick once over, a change in insurance rates to insure my vehicle (model 3) was driving me to change companies. I just like having it all be with one company so got combined quotes.

....err I am rambling.....

TL ; DR, yes you want to make sure its on your policy, its fixed to your home, and its something you would want replaced if damaged, so it likely needs to be on there to avoid any problems about coverage if something were to happen.

Just added them. FYI USAA thinks it will cost $70k to replace a system that actually cost $30k. Not sure what to do about that, if anything, but I am glad I added the coverage.

USAA considered a solar system an "additional structure."

I think the increased cost I was talking about in my last post was something like 70-85k replacement too.

My policy says I need to notify them of any changes of 5k or more for my extended replacement to be valid. I was told they normally increase dwelling amount by I paid for the system Since I already had more than their estimated rebuild + panels no changes were needed but they would note my account that I had solar in case of a claim.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Hmmm..... a question. Does everyone call up their homeowners insurance and specifically add the system?

Perhaps a basic question but I just finished install yesterday. :)

Added ours to our homeowner policy after install.

Figure if major damage like hail or falling trees you’d be looking at labor for removal, maybe reroofing and install in addition to the replacement value of the panels and parts.

Last edited: