Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any owners here that did not do the full PPF treatment? (poll)

What level of PPF did you do?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious to know the proportion of folks who did not do the full PPF treatment.

Do you worry about imperfections that it could prevent or do you not see it as an issue?

I personally have never applied full PPF to a car, only certain areas like the rear quarter panels on my last car (Model Y).

On my model S I feel like the front treatment, rocker panels, and rear quarter panel would be ideal (plus mud flaps eventually).

I’ve already got at least one chip in my rocker panel. Mud flaps can’t come quickly enough.
You may want to check these out - DYI PPF kits for the new MS, made with XPEL. Disclaimer - this is my site. I am also open to suggestions on what other areas to cover. On todo I have the trunk area (the part you will hit when carrying luggage in and out of the trunk).

I’m thinking of only doing it to the hood when I get my new Model S. It costs $900 to clear PPF the hood, and it’s a metal part. I just repainted the hood of my existing S, and it’s already chipping away yet again. I might consider doing rocker panels as well, but not the front bumper as it’s cheaper to respray that rather than PPF it.

I’m thinking of only doing it to the hood when I get my new Model S. It costs $900 to clear PPF the hood, and it’s a metal part. I just repainted the hood of my existing S, and it’s already chipping away yet again. I might consider doing rocker panels as well, but not the front bumper as it’s cheaper to respray that rather than PPF it.
You may find these useful…

DYI PPF for the hood for the new S:

And rockers + fenders (DYI for the new S):

You may find these useful…

DYI PPF for the hood for the new S:

And rockers + fenders (DYI for the new S):
Ironically enough that wouldn’t cover the two areas I keep getting rock chips in. I’d wrap the whole hood.

Reactions: iyordanov
I decided to do the front and the rocker panels in clear. Prior to the PPF the car will be paint corrected so that ceramic can go on after the PPF. 4k from a reputable shop that been around forever. My considerations were that I bought the car and plan to hold onto it and chips and dents catch my eye daily. Also, I got a black car and live on the east coast. I want to be able to quickly wash it without fear of constant scratching. Wishing you lick!

We have done the paint protection film on all our cars going back to our 2011 Mercedes. Before that we used to put bras on the vehicles. But after the chemical make up of paint changed, the bra would leave a mark on the hood. The only thing I will say about this paint protection film, it has gotten tremendously expensive. The 2011 Mercedes was done under $500 but it was only a partial hood design along with partial front quarter panels front bumper and side mirrors. Right after taking delivery of the 2020 model S, the full hood, partial fenders and bumper cost around $1400. Just completed the same process (Jan 2022) on my 2021 model Y and it cost $2000. Was not a happy camper.

Having owned a P100D for 3 years and 60,000 miles worth of driving with NO PPF, having PPF on my new Plaid was an absolute MUST!
Teslas paint is thin and soft and EASILY chips. For me it’s not about resale but being pleased with the condition of the paint while I own it. The front end of my former Tesla made me sick every time I cleaned the car
I wrapped the entire car, but only because I did a Stealth PPF. If I was keeping the factory gloss finish, I would just do the impact areas

I've never PPF'd any of my prior vehicles. However after seeing how thin and soft Tesla paint is, I decided to bite the bullet and have the front and areas behind all wheels done. It wasn't super expensive, and I don't care about resale with paint chips, but I don't want the paint to look like garbage within a year of owning the car.