Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there heat related generation limits in inverters or other components?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
It is very hot for us (104F) today. I noticed that generation curve peaked at 1030-1100 at 7.9 kW and has stayed flat since then. As of now, 1350, it still at 7.9 kW. Are there components in the system that limit production when it is hot outside as a safety margin?

I thought that panels and tiles were less efficient when it got hot. But if that were purely the case, I would have expected a lower, but still roundish (monotonic increasing and then monotonic decreasing) peak.

FWIW, on previous cooler days we got a roundish peak at up to 9 kW.

It is very hot for us (104F) today. I noticed that generation curve peaked at 1030-1100 at 7.9 kW and has stayed flat since then. As of now, 1350, it still at 7.9 kW. Are there components in the system that limit production when it is hot outside as a safety margin?

I thought that panels and tiles were less efficient when it got hot. But if that were purely the case, I would have expected a lower, but still roundish (monotonic increasing and then monotonic decreasing) peak.

FWIW, on previous cooler days we got a roundish peak at up to 9 kW.
My SMA inverters all have derating that reduces output at high temperatures.

Reactions: jboy210
My SMA inverters all have derating that reduces output at high temperatures.
Ok. I bet that is what is occurring. Thanks.

Update:

I just checked the Delta inverters and on the rating tag it said the derate at greater than 45C. I went inside and grabbed my laser thermometer gun. One inverter was a 49C the other, which was more in sunlight was 53C. I am going to check this on a cooler and sunny day and see if I should invest in an awning. Maybe one of those canvas types that can shade the side of the garage. That might also fix the summer heating in my office which sits right on top of the garage and is 10F warmer than the rest of house.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Added fan that turns on at sunrise and off at sunset for the 3.8 KW Delta inverter with convection cooling.

Attachments

• 566AAF5F-B7B0-4BBF-A0E1-20F67193D93C.png
    566AAF5F-B7B0-4BBF-A0E1-20F67193D93C.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 175
Reactions: jboy210
Nice. Unfortunately, my inverters are on the outside of the garage wall.
My SMA inverter is outside also and was temperature de-rating last year post adding additional solar. A shade screen and some USB fans have done the trick so far this year (been well over 100 most of June and had a few days north of 110). See related thread

oooooo solar power to get more solar power = perpetual motion machine. Yes, I know this perpetual motion machine wouldn't work without the sun. But that's why me = zero brain.

1655917212427.png

My SMA inverter is outside also and was temperature de-rating last year post adding additional solar. A shade screen and some USB fans have done the trick so far this year (been well over 100 most of June and had a few days north of 110). See related thread

Thanks! A shade sail looks like it might do the trick, and they come in a lot of colors.