Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there three different suspension height configurations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the online configurator, toggling back and forth between the standard range, the dual motor and the performance model, it seems like the height of the car is different going from higher to lower respectively. Is that just a design bug from the configurator or is the AWD lower than the standard range, and the performance lower than the AWD?

I hate fender gap.... Side note I was looking at DB Cooper info yesterday. Robert Rackshaw died last month.

Rackstraw, yeah what a crazy cat. I love how he kind of owned the persona, whether it was him or not. Earlier this year there was a Mission Delcassified episode, the second episode called "The Hunt for DB Cooper". They make a convincing case for McCoy, check it out if you're interested.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
Also, the P has 20” wheels and lower profile tires. It’s somewhat an optical illusion, but the P almost looks like it’s higher and has an atrocious level of gender gap.
Yea one of my many "should be more" complaints about the P3. Probably safe to assume that within 5mm is likely within spec. So a P3 5mm high would be the same as any other 3 5mm low. Should have been 20mm to 25mm drop IMO.

Yea one of my many "should be more" complaints about the P3. Probably safe to assume that within 5mm is likely within spec. So a P3 5mm high would be the same as any other 3 5mm low. Should have been 20mm to 25mm drop IMO.

I think the fundamental issue is not the height. In fact the M3/P3 is actually quite a low car. Particularly, look at the trim piece that flares down right in front of the rear wheels. That is like supercar low in height. I lowered my car a modest 1" and it is VERY low now. It's perfectly fine to drive, but it's like driving a Corvette Z06 or some other true sports car.

So the actual issue with the M3's looks are a just poor aesthetic design. The fenders should just be lower and more flush like majority of German sports sedans.

....In fact the M3/P3 is actually quite a low car. Particularly, look at the trim piece that flares down right in front of the rear wheels. That is like supercar low in height. I lowered my car a modest 1" and it is VERY low now. It's perfectly fine to drive, but it's like driving a Corvette Z06 or some other true sports car.....

WHAT? This is the highest ground clearance BY far that I have had in a while. Past cars in reverse order that were lower

ELR (pic and looks like over 2")
MINI Cooper JCW
SLK 55
S2000

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

Looked up and ground clearance on the 3 is 5.5"/140mm (so probably 5.12"/130mm on Performance). My ELR was 4.2"/107mm).

Here are just a few select cars for comparison. The Model 3 looks at least average in ground clearance.

Model 3 140mm
ELR 107mm
BMW M3 120mm
Audi A4 128mm
Lexus ES 350 155mm
Honda Acord 149mm
Mercedes AMG SL 92mm
Porsche 911 122mm
Model S 117mm

Last edited:
Looked up and ground clearance on the 3 is 5.5"/140mm (so probably 5.12"/130mm on Performance). My ELR was 4.2"/107mm).

Here are just a few select cars for comparison. The Model 3 looks at least average in ground clearance.

Model 3 140mm
ELR 107mm
BMW M3 120mm
Audi A4 128mm
Lexus ES 350 155mm
Honda Acord 149mm
Mercedes AMG SL 92mm
Porsche 911 122mm
Model S 117mm

I think it depends where you measure. Perhaps at the front, but as stated there is a trim piece right in front of the rear wheels that goes way lower than the rest of the car.

In my case this measures at 3.5” or 89mm. Granted, my car is lowered but only by one inch or 25mm. That’d be <120mm on a stock car or right about there. Fortunately as close as it is to a wheel, it’s a non-issue for most, but oddly shaped driveways will have that area be the first to touch.

You have to be really careful comparing published ground clearance heights because they’re measured at different points.

046CC420-68D1-4B0E-8AE6-1898DA771A10.jpeg