Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We spoke with the staff and they are expecting a good crowd but really have no idea what will happen. We asked if they considered handing out numbers to people in line so that they may come and go as they needed prior to reservation. I am planning on showing up at 11 AM EDT as I did confirm the 1PM EDT reservation start. She felt that the reservation part will move quickly.
I was told today the official word from HQ is 10am local time. My local store (Natick, MA) is taking reservations when they open at 10am

I was told today the official word from HQ is 10am local time. My local store (Natick, MA) is taking reservations when they open at 10am

Ok. That's what I was originally hoping for. I still planned on buzzing the store hours before it opens to see if there is a crowd. It was still somewhat speculation this morning so this if this is the official word, I'll be happy and will show up even earlier...and just go into work late.

Just called - no heads up email no phone call - Although representative claimed we should have gotten one.

Those of us smart enough to plan ahead and make an appointment to place our deposit - just got screwed. Tesla prefers a first come first serve zoo instead of orderly no drama process - they prefer chaos I guess.

I still would have been very unhappy - but a simple email or phone call would have at least shown my money and support was appreciated.

I'd tend to bet - unlike me that many placing their reservation weren't even at the store opening years ago.

Of course don't own enough stock to be considered important - unfortunately.

I told you there would be lines

Model-3.jpg

Reactions: MrBoylan
Online for sure. It seems doubtful they'll produce base models according to your place in the queue, and doubtful they'll deliver base models in time to take full advantage of the federal incentive. There's no real point (for me) to going to the local store.
Robin

Online for sure. It seems doubtful they'll produce base models according to your place in the queue, and doubtful they'll deliver base models in time to take full advantage of the federal incentive. There's no real point (for me) to going to the local store.
Robin

Why is it doubtful that they'll use your reservation number to determine base models too? Presumably there will be quite a few people who want one, and they'll have to prioritize orders somehow. After region and ownership status is taken into consideration, why wouldn't reservation number be the next criteria?

I'm going to the local store before opening. I figure that if we are looking at an 18-24 month wait to get cars, and each day that goes by gets closer to that 200k car cutoff for the tax credits, the only thing that is in my control is getting my order in early. I can't change where I live, or when production starts, or how they decide to deliver, but I can get my spot on the list as early as possible.

Why is it doubtful that they'll use your reservation number to determine base models too? Presumably there will be quite a few people who want one, and they'll have to prioritize orders somehow. After region and ownership status is taken into consideration, why wouldn't reservation number be the next criteria?

Only because there's quite a bit of discussion (aka "guesses") that the production order might be (wholly or partly) governed by how well-optioned the car is to be. A base model may well be built, along with other base models, in a scheme dictated by queue number and geography. But how many base models will be built ahead of the highly-optioned cars? Since we're only interested in a base model, there's a pretty reasonable doubt about how worthwhile it would be to head for the store on Thursday.
Plus, I get to see what it looks like before plunking down a deposit. No "i3 surprise."
Robin