Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Areas that PPF Helps the Most

What areas to PPF on Model Y?

• A) Entire Front, plus mirrors

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • B) Choice A locations, plus rocker panels

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • C) Choice A locations, plus something besides rocker panels

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone! I have a Model Y on order and was planning to partial wrap it with Xpel PPF. I’d like feedback on the areas where it would potentially make the most difference.

I currently have a quote for PPF on the entire front of the car, plus mirrors and rocker panels.

Since the Model Y doesn’t have mud flaps (and I’m holding out for some low profile, gray plastic mudflaps to match the trim), I was wondering if the rocker panels would need coverage. I’ve read about issues with the rocker panels being sandblasted/rusted out on the Model 3 particularly. But the Model Y has a piece of gray plastic trim that may help prevent this.

I’ve also read that the Model 3 comes with factory PPF on the rocker panels because of the damage issues. Does the Model Y also come with factory PPF on the rocker panels?

I live in central NC where we see maybe one snowfall a year, in case the amount of snow/salt the car will be exposed to influences the recommendation.

I did the full front (bumper, hood, fenders, headlights), lower doors (rocker panel) and the door edges. Cost me $1880 for Xpel Ultimate. couldn't see spending more. And no ceramic coating. I'm still using ZAINO and it looks fabulous with the deep wet shine.

• Helpful
Reactions: TRBo
Thank you! Hadn’t considered the door edges but that’s probably a good call.

I was quoted $1700 for full front and mirrors, and $350 for the rocker panels in Raleigh, NC. Also looking to get tint, hence wanting to control the cost as much as possible.

On another note, what do people think about ceramic clear tint on the windshield? NC doesn’t allow colored tints on the windshield, but was considering the clear Xpel to help with heat rejection.

I paid $2200 for the front PPF (hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, mirrors). This included paint correction and fixing a handful of rock chips. I went with Kavaca PPF since it has a hydrophobic layer. Got to test it out today in the rain and it works great.

2 days after I got the PPF installed, I had some bird poo on the fender. Cleaned it off with quick detailer and it left a burn mark. Used a heat gun to heat it up and the burn mark disappeared.

Attachments

• d43fd713c79f31a1d0be0df8c2b49d491d1efd56-14.jpg
    d43fd713c79f31a1d0be0df8c2b49d491d1efd56-14.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 912
Rockers are a plastic trim, no PPF needed. The lower doors however actually point towards the ground and lots of rocks can hit it. The lower part of the rear door, at the back, the door flares out a bit and the paint there takes a serious beating. I did the lower doors, bumper, headlights.

Rockers are a plastic trim, no PPF needed. The lower doors however actually point towards the ground and lots of rocks can hit it. The lower part of the rear door, at the back, the door flares out a bit and the paint there takes a serious beating. I did the lower doors, bumper, headlights.
You’re correct. The true rocker panels are plastic and cannot be PPF’d. However, they are relatively small. The quote I received for “rocker panel PPF” will cover the lower doors and part of the rear wheel well.

• Informative
Reactions: Modulus1