Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arg... PUP or no PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my P3D without the Performance Upgrade Package and now I'm having second thoughts and might add it. I was convinced I wanted to run 18" wheels for the shitty roads around here, particularly in winter. But...

1. We don't know what the suspension differences of the P3D+ actually are above and beyond the P3D. The P3D+ I drove handled way better than the RWD I drove back to back. And it's hard to know how much of that was just the tires.
2. It's possible the up coming track mode will go to the P3D+ only. And that would suck

I really wish Elon would tell us what is actually in these packages that he's asking us to pay $5K for. Has anyone driving a P3D without the PUP? Is it more like the P3D+ or more like the RWD model I drove?

If I get the PUP I'll sell the 20" wheels/tires and replace them with 19's. 235/40-19's still have 3.7" of sidewall, which isn't too terrible. I'd lose the ability to run 18's though if I decide I want to, which is a bummer.

Those telling you to stay with 20s don't drive on roads like you do in NY (I see SoCal and LA). Even if you decide you want to race it at the track, you wouldn't want to use 20", though they look cool. There's lots of other threads about all this.

I sold my RWD and bought P-. IMO, the diff between P+ and RWD are minimal, and I'm a Brembo fan. The big gains in braking and suspension will be realized from aftermarket companies.

Last edited:
Those telling you to stay with 20s don't drive on roads like you do in NY (I see SoCal and LA). Even if you decide you want to race it at the track, you wouldn't want to use 20", though they look cool. There's lots of other threads about all this.

You could ride 20s PUP package or not ..the OP lists two items above 1) there is a suspension diff (lower 10mm) or something like that ..2) no one knows ..but it’s 5k to gamble that PUP gets

Reactions: MXWing
OK I just read that the TST 18" wheels do indeed fit with the PUP upgrade. They're just as light as stock too.

If true, this solves my concerns with the package.

Buying Performance Upgrade Package and then swapping wheels and tires?

Man.. should use PUP as its often confused for Premium Upgrade Package as well. I just called it the Rice package but no one else has adopted it. ;)

Reactions: matto and P85_DA
Buying Performance Upgrade Package and then swapping wheels and tires?

Man.. should use PUP as its often confused for Premium Upgrade Package as well. I just called it the Rice package but no one else has adopted it. ;)

I don’t get the rice reference. How is it comparable here? This is an extremely powerful machine and it’s not like throwing 6-pot brakes, a 4-inch exhaust, and a shopping cart spoiler on a 1.6liter n/a car that can’t even benefit from the upgrades, even on the track.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I don’t get the rice reference. How is it comparable here? This is an extremely powerful machine and it’s not like throwing 6-pot brakes, a 4-inch exhaust, and a shopping cart spoiler on a 1.6liter n/a car that can’t even benefit from the upgrades, even on the track.

I think it's because outside of the track (and honestly 99% of any production cars buyers don't regularly track their cars) it offers no functional benefit. And for folks who might casually hit a track just once or twice RWD owners have shown simply putting better pads on stock brakes will be fine for that.

Throw PS4s on the stock 18s without the 5k upgrade and the car is better on the street than the 5k upgraded car- same width tires (or wider- they'll fit) on lighter wheels with better rim protection, no brake upgrade that doesn't help, no 10mph extra speed you can't use in public, and no pedal/spoiler bling (at least it's not a wing :))

I think it's because outside of the track (and honestly 99% of any production cars buyers don't regularly track their cars) it offers no functional benefit. And for folks who might casually hit a track just once or twice RWD owners have shown simply putting better pads on stock brakes will be fine for that.

Throw PS4s on the stock 18s without the 5k upgrade and the car is better on the street than the 5k upgraded car- same width tires (or wider- they'll fit) on lighter wheels with better rim protection, no brake upgrade that doesn't help, no 10mph extra speed you can't use in public, and no pedal/spoiler bling (at least it's not a wing :))

^^^^ this guy gets it.

Though 99% is probably more like 99.999.

Tesla could have thrown a bone. 3.4 or 3.3 with a little software tweak to give a stronger reason to make that 5K push.

I'm focused on the term "rice" that is being used here. Not talking about if a person can get the performance they need for less $. If a person buys an upgrade that increases the potential of the car, but the driver doesn't use the upgrade to its potential it is considered "rice"?

Last edited:
The package is more about looks than performance. That's rice!

That's incorrect. The brakes and tires on the upgrade package will outperform the standard offerings on the non upgraded car.

The term rice, as I know it, is used to describe upgrades that provide absolutely no performance benefit to a car, while also making the car sound and look silly. The performance upgrade does not fit the bill.

By your definition, all Model 3 owners that remove the aero covers are making their cars look like rice.

That's incorrect. The brakes and tires on the upgrade package will outperform the standard offerings on the non upgraded car.

The brakes, in street legal use, will perform identically in stopping distance.

Because the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

The only real difference would likely be higher cost if you ever need repair/replace anything on the upgraded brakes.

Certainly the 20" sport tires are better than the all seasons on the 18s/19s- but they already sell the exact same 20s with those tires for all the other models if you want em- (or you can for far less $ just put the 18" versions on the 18" wheels and have both a wider-than-the-20s tire for more traction AND lighter wheels to boot!)

I bought the upgraded package for (relative) peace of mind and superficial reasons. I say relative peace of mind because I don’t have a VIN yet and have continuously second guessed my decision since placing the order; I’ve come to terms that I’ll constantly second guess myself until Tesla “locks me in,” at which point I’ll, hopefully, come to terms with my decision and be at peace.

As for the superficial aspect of the purchase, I don’t expect to ever take advantage of the upgraded brakes or increased top speed, and am still uncertain whether I’ll sell or install the spoiler. However, I’m justifying P+ as a small price to pay, in respect to the car, to not constantly ask myself “what if” or live in fear of missing out on any OTA updates. I highly doubt Tesla would ever discriminate updates between P+ and regular performance versions, but it’s Tesla so I can’t be entirely confident they won’t. I also liked the idea of having subtle differences in my car vs many of the other Model 3s around town. It’s irrational and petty, but so are most of my purchases...according to my wife. :D

I bought the upgraded package for (relative) peace of mind and superficial reasons. I say relative peace of mind because I don’t have a VIN yet and have continuously second guessed my decision since placing the order; I’ve come to terms that I’ll constantly second guess myself until Tesla “locks me in,” at which point I’ll, hopefully, come to terms with my decision and be at peace.

As for the superficial aspect of the purchase, I don’t expect to ever take advantage of the upgraded brakes or increased top speed, and am still uncertain whether I’ll sell or install the spoiler. However, I’m justifying P+ as a small price to pay, in respect to the car, to not constantly ask myself “what if” or live in fear of missing out on any OTA updates. I highly doubt Tesla would ever discriminate updates between P+ and regular performance versions, but it’s Tesla so I can’t be entirely confident they won’t. I also liked the idea of having subtle differences in my car vs many of the other Model 3s around town. It’s irrational and petty, but so are most of my purchases...according to my wife. :D

You can always sell the parts. Wonder how much the spoiler would go for.

Current standing offers to buy at 550 are currently too low.

You can always sell the parts. Wonder how much the spoiler would go for.

Current standing offers to buy at 550 are currently too low.
I considered getting the package and selling the wheels and spoiler. But by the time you re-purchase new wheels, you'll save maybe $1.5k of the $5k.

So it ends up being $3,500 for a hub and rotors that offer very little other than making it impossible buy wheels to replace the ones you just sold.