Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18-20" Titan 7 T-S5 Wheel Set Size: 18x8.5 +35

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love efficiency of my LFP RWD Model 3 and don't want to hurt it too much, but I can't stand stock wheels, I want to keep efficiency and comfort of 18s but in a fancy way :)
I want to buy 18-20" Titan 7 T-S5 Wheel Set from @MODEL+ size 18x8.5 +35 and use 235/45 R18 factory tires for now.
"18x8.5 +35 - Similar to OEM Wheel spec but structurally stronger and 22% lighter weight than Tesla factory 18" Aero Wheels. Recommend OEM tires swap-over 235/45/18"

Since these are not aero, will they hurt efficiency? But 22% lighter weight will even it out? Any real world experience anyone?

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 1.37.40 PM.png

Reactions: MODEL+
I have that exact wheel on my 2021 M3P. I've been using 245/45R18 tires on them, first summers, now allseasons. Coming from Uberturbines my efficiency improved right away at all speeds, even with summer tires that had more grip than stock, and 10mm wider than stock (245 vs 235).

I can't give any comparison to base aero wheels though. I would guess that at low speeds with lots of slowing down and speeding up, the T-S5 would be at least as efficient, maybe even better thanks to less weight.

On the flip side I'd expect the aero wheels - with covers on! - to be slightly more efficient for highway cruising. The aero benefits are probably more significant than the weight difference in steady high speed driving.

Most important though: I wouldn't worry about lost efficiency from this swap! With any non-aero wheel there should be some loss in highway driving, but I think in this case with the stock size, stock offset, and light weight the difference will be as minimal as it gets (without getting another aero wheel).

Since these are not aero, will they hurt efficiency? But 22% lighter weight will even it out? Any real world experience anyone?

Having had 10+ wheelsets on my car, I have found that there are a zillion variables when it comes to efficiency.

First, and foremost is driving style. That by far is the single most variable that determines efficiency. After driving style, comes tire tread pattern/compound. Then comes wheel design and "poke" (the further outboard a wheel is, the more it disrupts air flow, thus reducing efficiency).

I have learned I am not an efficient driver. I floor it every chance I get, and it doesn't matter what wheel and tire combo I have, After 17k miles, my avg is 342 wh/mi, which is nearly double then what I have seen here on the forums. :)

IMHO, you should get whatever wheel you fancy. To echo tm1v2, I run lightweight 18's, and they truly "wake" up the car, make it more fun/responsive and ultimately make it more fun. Since it is more fun to drive, i end up driving more spiritedly, thus using more energy... vicious circle, but i love it! :)

In my arsenal I have 18x7.5 efficiency wheels w/ snow tires, 18x8 efficiency wheels with all seasons, 18x9.5 lightweight wheels w/ summer performance tires, 19x9 lightweight wheels w/ race tires for track events & 19x9.5 w/ summer tires for aesthetics. I pick and choose my wheelset for the season/conditions. Yes, I swap my wheels a lot... :cool:

Reactions: tm1v2
Like the others have chimed in saying, your efficiency is going to be dependent on many variables.
Unless you're doing constant highway driving, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, reducing unsprung weight will make a noticeable difference in acceleration, braking, and handling performance.

Danny

Reactions: tm1v2
@Loco_Nomad Here's my usual list of photos, if you want some pics of this exact wheel on a Model 3. For clarity these are of Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5" ET35 in Satin Titanium with 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires, mounted on a 2021 M3P with its stock PUP brakes.

Since you have regular Model 3 brakes, I believe that would push the wheels about 5mm further out. For me 8.5" wide ET35 is 100% stock track/offset, for you it will be +5mm. Fitment wise that will be completely fine for you and will NOT poke, the extra 5mm will be no problem at all.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6356654/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6705435/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6791334/

Big agreement with @MODEL+ that reducing wheel weight is something you can *feel*. Coming from the uber-heavy 20" Uberturbines, I felt the difference right away with the Titan7 T-S5. The car just felt more nimble, easier to turn, especially in quick back-and-forth slalom style sections of road. This was with "max performance" category summer tires on both the stock and new wheels.

The base aero wheels are surely much lighter than the Uberturbines though, so I wonder how much difference you'll actually feel @Loco_Nomad. If you're still on the eco-hyperfocused Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires you'll at least notice a good tire upgrade. :)

@Loco_Nomad Here's my usual list of photos, if you want some pics of this exact wheel on a Model 3. For clarity these are of Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5" ET35 in Satin Titanium with 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires, mounted on a 2021 M3P with its stock PUP brakes.

Since you have regular Model 3 brakes, I believe that would push the wheels about 5mm further out. For me 8.5" wide ET35 is 100% stock track/offset, for you it will be +5mm. Fitment wise that will be completely fine for you and will NOT poke, the extra 5mm will be no problem at all.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6356654/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6705435/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6791334/

Big agreement with @MODEL+ that reducing wheel weight is something you can *feel*. Coming from the uber-heavy 20" Uberturbines, I felt the difference right away with the Titan7 T-S5. The car just felt more nimble, easier to turn, especially in quick back-and-forth slalom style sections of road. This was with "max performance" category summer tires on both the stock and new wheels.

The base aero wheels are surely much lighter than the Uberturbines though, so I wonder how much difference you'll actually feel @Loco_Nomad. If you're still on the eco-hyperfocused Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires you'll at least notice a good tire upgrade. :)
thanks for detailed info! Appreciate it.

According to the internet, stock 18s are 23lb and Titans are 18? that is 5 lb difference per side, hopefully I can feel it lol
I'm planning on keeping my stock tires for now as they are brand new and we use this car mainly for A to B commuting so not race/track oriented :) Maybe once they worn out I can get better handling/gripping tires. I have DWS06 on my X and they are great, but not as great as Max Performance summer tires I had when I was on 22s :)