Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting back to the clear bra, you guys need to call Film Dynamics. I paid less than what you guys are paying for a clear bra and tinting of all the windows 20%. Just tell him Dan with the QX56 and Tesla sent you.
Talked to both Hans (Film Dynamics) and Rick (Cactus Window Tint). Ended up going with Rick as he was more accessible and offered to rent a loaner for me for the day it would need to be in the shop. He's now done at least 3 MS' including mine. just got it back today, looks great from what I can tell. First time I've ever gotten a clear bra for my car. (Got tinted too). Price for the bra was as noted above. Hans did offer a slightly lower price, but like I said, felt like Rick was more patient in answering my questions. Though Hans was good too. I figured either would be fine, but Rick's offer of the rental made the difference.

Funny thing was he drove me to Enterprise. THey had a Leaf charging and I asked for it. Just got my J1772 charging station up and running, so it was fun to be able to drive all 3 best selling Plugins over the span of a couple days (my Volt & Tesla, and the Leaf). My neighbors probably thinking Im a tree hugger or something!

I talked to Rick Sullivan @ Cactus Window Tint 480-248-8966. He is using SunTek for the clear bra/body wrap. It's a really great product and has self healing like Xpel but much better price. Full frontal for Xpel is around $1800 at 2 places I checked and he's doing SunTek for $1300. I read that the SunTek is a little "clearer/shinier" than Xpel but VERY hard to see the difference. Warranty is 5 years vs 8 for Xpel but he stated he would cover it if there were problems after that. He uses the Xpel "molds" for the cuts and tucks the wrap around hood/doors where possible. My Multi-Coat Red Model S is coming on or about 4/26/13 so I wanted to nail this down so I could take it too him and get it done DAY 1.

I went back to cactus tint today to get my windshield and pano roof done with Crystalline 70. I assume that was your red model s in there? Looks amazing!

i had earlier thought I would wait on these, in case of a windshield crack and to see how much heat the pano roof rejects, but after driving around here for 3 weeks, I couldn't wait anymore to get them done. I found with the angle of the windshield, I got much more sun/heat on my legs than from other cars. This film has cut that down significantly. I am not yet sure how much a difference the sunroof film will make - I only felt heat from there before when the car was still, but not while moving, but I figured once getting the windshield done, any heat coming from the roof would be more obvious. Glad I did both.

Btw, they did excellent work again. They took extra care in consideration of all of the electronics on/around the dash. They only squeegeed the windshield film once (they usually do this a few times) to minimize water dripping out. There is a little water left behind the film, which will evaporate in the next day or two. I can already tell that once it is completely dry, it will be impossible to tell anything is on the windshield.

I just wanted to post some comments about Rick@Cactus Tint. He did an incredible and affordable job on my S. The attention to detail was amazing I could not even see the clear bra unless I went looking for it on the edges. Very knowledgable and professional and it seems he has been getting quite a few model S showing up.

Work Performed:
front windshield 3m crystal 70%
side/back windows 3m crystal 40%
Pano roof 3m crystal 50%
clear bra front end of car, mirrors, lights

My wife who doesn't like dark tint is very happy about the tint quality and that the car isn't too dark, she found it comfortable yesterday after it set in the sun all afternoon.

ken

Nuke:
I did read Bandt's piece, and as far as I am concerned, just about every one of his potentially germane arguments he utterly destroyed with one all-important, weaselly line:
APS is currently required to pay customers who have installed rooftop solar panels up to 25 cents per kilowatt hour for the excess energy they generate

That blue, emboldened portion is the game-changer. Come on, Don! Provide appropriate data, or don't bother writing at all. Those two little words makes your essay as useless as an APS flyer that states a domestic customer can pay "as little as 4.2 cents/kWh". More useless, even.

Couldn't comment directly on the essay as I'll not sign up for Facebook just to provide my 2 watts on azcentral.com. But anyone else can!

I went back to cactus tint today to get my windshield and pano roof done with Crystalline 70. I assume that was your red model s in there? Looks amazing!

i had earlier thought I would wait on these, in case of a windshield crack and to see how much heat the pano roof rejects, but after driving around here for 3 weeks, I couldn't wait anymore to get them done. I found with the angle of the windshield, I got much more sun/heat on my legs than from other cars. This film has cut that down significantly. I am not yet sure how much a difference the sunroof film will make - I only felt heat from there before when the car was still, but not while moving, but I figured once getting the windshield done, any heat coming from the roof would be more obvious. Glad I did both.

Btw, they did excellent work again. They took extra care in consideration of all of the electronics on/around the dash. They only squeegeed the windshield film once (they usually do this a few times) to minimize water dripping out. There is a little water left behind the film, which will evaporate in the next day or two. I can already tell that once it is completely dry, it will be impossible to tell anything is on the windshield.
Thanks again for the recommendation to go to Rick @ Cactus. As I mentioned above, he did a bang up job. I just detailed the car today myself, which I mostly enjoy doing. One of the reasons is it forces me to go over the car inch by inch (more like 1/4 in by 1/4 inch) where I find any nicks, scratches, paint issues, etc. In all the clear bar area he covered, there was just one slight 1mm bubble. It's barely noticeable and given the amount of coverage, im amazed thats all there was. And otherwise, the paint itself was flawless. Very happy indeed with both Tesla's paint job and Rick's work.

He did mention that you might be coming in for the front windshield I will consider it as well. Never had front windshield done before, but the heat rejection that the Crystalline would offer would be a big help in keeping the interior cool.

No issues with the 3m tint and my raybans. On my other car I can see the rainbow but that is because I used the formula one tint.... Never again :)

I also only use polarized sunglasses (Bolle and Maui Jim) and everything is truly crystal clear with this tint. No rainbows at all.

Thanks, it will be 3m for me. Now I just have to decide if I want the windshield and pano tinted.

Has anyone done a trip to Payson yet? I'm getting my 60 delivered within the next couple of weeks and have been looking at various trips using EVTripPlanner. It looks like to go from my house in Scottsdale to Payson and back (I factored in 400 lbs, 100 degree external temp, 72 internal temp) will consume about 52 kWh. This might be cutting it close, especially if I hit a headwind or drive around town some. Does anyone know of a place to plug in around there? Plugshare, etc. show nothing. I'm especially interested in something at or near Green Valley Park.

Has anyone done a trip to Payson yet? I'm getting my 60 delivered within the next couple of weeks and have been looking at various trips using EVTripPlanner. It looks like to go from my house in Scottsdale to Payson and back (I factored in 400 lbs, 100 degree external temp, 72 internal temp) will consume about 52 kWh. This might be cutting it close, especially if I hit a headwind or drive around town some. Does anyone know of a place to plug in around there? Plugshare, etc. show nothing. I'm especially interested in something at or near Green Valley Park.

I don't have my car yet, but will be up in Yarnell (south of Prescott / north of Wickenburg) next weekend and plan on doing some plug scouting since we typically go up there once or twice a summer (my parents have a cottage there...). EVTripPlanner shows I can do the trip to Yarnell and back with no problem (46kWh total usage -- 28 up, 18 back), but still want to be able to charge on something other than 110 if we go up for a weekend...

Check AllStays.com. They even have a mobile app. But here's a link for the AZ RV map with 50A hook ups.
Campgrounds in Arizona with 50 Amp Sites
According to it, there's an RV spot in Fort McDowell and also one near Payson. So either charge on the way, while there, or on the way back as needed. Call the RV camps first and check to confirm they are open, do they allow EVs to charge, for how much, and that they have '50 amp service'. Some of them don't know what 14-50 is. But you can ask that too. Normally they just call it 50 amp service.

I'd probably try to charge up there if it were me, ESP. The first time I tried it. But you might be able to wait until your on your way back. And if you think yo need it stop at Fort McDowell RV camp for a quick charge to get you home.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have my car yet, but will be up in Yarnell (south of Prescott / north of Wickenburg) next weekend and plan on doing some plug scouting since we typically go up there once or twice a summer (my parents have a cottage there...). EVTripPlanner shows I can do the trip to Yarnell and back with no problem (46kWh total usage -- 28 up, 18 back), but still want to be able to charge on something other than 110 if we go up for a weekend...

AllStays. Check it out. AZ has lots of RV sites that can help. As stated above. Call and check first.

Yes, that was my Red Model S (first one in AZ!). I was lusting after your 19" black powder coated rims (unless that's Ken's car) Really made the car look awesome and unique!

I'm extremely happy Rick's work (actually Chris did all the work). So nice to not have to worry too much about dings driving around town. I got the 3M Crystalline 50% on side/back windows, BUT... I didn't do the windshield and I'm going back ASAP to get that done. You sold me on it. I live in the West Valley and I drive into the sun going to and coming home from work. By blocking 97% of the infrared I'm sure it will make huge difference in lowering heat gain as well as improve range in the summer (less A/C needed). The Manager at the Scottsdale Fashion Square Tesla Store told me they had the windshield issues worked out so I feel a little better about it.

The small touches make all the difference. The tint on the door windows is trimmed in such a way that you can't see where the trim ends when the window is open. They trim it at an angle at the very end of the window and there is no discernible step off. Worth a few extra bucks in my book.

Jeff

Jeff,

That was my car with the black rims. I'm just waiting on the black "T" tesla sticker for the center caps, if that doesn't look good I'm going to have them painted black.

Glad you liked them. According to Rick I just missed you. Can't wait to see a red S!

Ken

Nuke:
I did read Bandt's piece, and as far as I am concerned, just about every one of his potentially germane arguments he utterly destroyed with one all-important, weaselly line:

That blue, emboldened portion is the game-changer. Come on, Don! Provide appropriate data, or don't bother writing at all. Those two little words makes your essay as useless as an APS flyer that states a domestic customer can pay "as little as 4.2 cents/kWh". More useless, even.

Couldn't comment directly on the essay as I'll not sign up for Facebook just to provide my 2 watts on azcentral.com. But anyone else can!

i went ahead and commented for you on azcentral.

Jeff Cusick

Does anyone know if frunk cargo net comes with the car or it is a separate purchase item? this is for 60kWh car without tech package. I searched on teslaforum and different opinions, some got it and some didn't.

It is $20 on online store but shipping is ridiculous $14!