Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got lucky!! I went to Tempe yesterday and was charged 6.5%. Guy had never heard to Tesla before so I took him sometime to register it but he clearly mentioned that it would be old tax rate since loan date and delivery date were both before June 1. No inspection required.

I took delivery in March but I waited until 6/4 to register thinking that I would get the 1% reduction. No such luck. I was charged the old rate of 6.6% at the Paradise Ln Scottsdale location.

We have been comfortable with ours and have it set to 73... It is a bit loud when first starting it so best to precool from the app before getting into the car but does quiet down after about 5-10 minutes. I am not sure it ever registers the interior temp much below 80 via the app but feels fine. Would highly recommend tinting as well and will be posting a few pics of our recent tint/wrap.

Hello all, just wondering how the Model S air conditioning is working out here in the Valley of the VERY HOT Sun now that we are well into the 100s. I'm a no -owner at present hoping to buy soon.

Rick

AC works great... I flip mine between 71 and 72. I'm doing a test of the "range mode" setting today (which reduces the power avail to the AC unit) -- was fine this morning and will be interesting to see how it works on the way home this afternoon... Seems to have used marginally less power -- ranged dropped 21 miles for my 28.5 mile commute in, while I usually see range dropping 23 miles. Will see how it goes this afternoon -- all uphill back home...

I had my windows tinted shortly after delivery -- went with 3M Crystaline. Makes a big difference -- much less heat coming though the side windows. Once the car cools down, the fan goes to a lower speed than pre-tinting also...

Has anyone had any municipalities in the Valley go after you for use tax or other privilege tax on your Model S purchase? I'm in Scottsdale and when I registered at DMV in Scottsdale back in January I was charged 6.6% sales tax (which was the then state sales tax rate). I just got a letter from the City of Scottsdale this week saying that I now owe them use tax of 1.45%. In looking at the City of Scottsdale Code, it appears that there is an exemption for alternative fule vehicles, but, based on the way it reads (see below), not sure that it would be applicable. Has anyone had to deal with this?

"Sales of motor vehicles that use alternative fuel if such vehicle was manufactured as a diesel fuel vehicle and converted to operate on alternative fuel and sales of equipment that is installed in a conventional diesel fuel motor vehicle to convert the vehicle to operate on an alternative fuel, as defined in A.R.S. Section 1-215. "

Havent had Tempe come after me for their portion of the sales tax. NOt sure if they will. But suppose they might. As for the part you quoted from Scottsdale code, that would NOT exempt the MS. The MS is alt fuel to start. That code (and similar language in AZ code) is antiquated alt fuel incentives for gas-to-alt fuel conversions.

Thanks. I agree that the literal language doesn't allow an exemption for the MS and that the Code is antiquated, but it does show an intent to exempt alt fuel vehicles.
Ya, unfortunately, its letter of law vs spirit of law. Letter of law wins. Its the same reason I can't drive my Volt in the HOV lanes in AZ, even though I haven't used a drop of gas in months with it. But Prii who have the original blue plates can.

Has anyone had any municipalities in the Valley go after you for use tax or other privilege tax on your Model S purchase? I'm in Scottsdale and when I registered at DMV in Scottsdale back in January I was charged 6.6% sales tax (which was the then state sales tax rate). I just got a letter from the City of Scottsdale this week saying that I now owe them use tax of 1.45%. In looking at the City of Scottsdale Code, it appears that there is an exemption for alternative fule vehicles, but, based on the way it reads (see below), not sure that it would be applicable. Has anyone had to deal with this?

"Sales of motor vehicles that use alternative fuel if such vehicle was manufactured as a diesel fuel vehicle and converted to operate on alternative fuel and sales of equipment that is installed in a conventional diesel fuel motor vehicle to convert the vehicle to operate on an alternative fuel, as defined in A.R.S. Section 1-215. "

Yes, I just got this letter too. I guess I had just assumed that the MVD in Scottsdale would charge the proper tax based on the home address in the registration. I really hadn't expected another tax bill, suppose that's what I get for not being more detail-oriented.

Scottsdale Use Tax

Regarding the city sales tax, I think it depends on the city. I know Scottsdale will hit you up for a 'use tax' of 1.45%. I have purchased a couple of vehicles from out of state dealers and both times I received a letter from the City of Scottsdale a month or two after registering with the MVD requesting that I pay this. Go to Sales and Use Tax Information and click on the 'Use Tax' link. I don't see any exceptions listed for EVs but there very well might be. I'd be curious to hear from others in AZ (especially Scottsdale) who have had their cars for more than a couple of months to see if they've had to pay this.

The Scottsdale Use Tax thing is a bummer and something I was afraid of (attached post was from 2/8, page 17). At least now we know for sure...

Anybody here own the dark blue Model S I saw on Ray rd in Ahwatukee today?

wonder how the AC was holding up for the passengers today. Hot one out there.

Bob

It could be me, was on Ray Rd yesterday heading west around 11:40am.

We used the app to turn on the A/C 5 minutes before getting in the car, by then the cabin was quite comfortable. The only downside is the door handles are scorching hot, almost burn my hands even though i touched it for less than 2 seconds.

Did any one make any mods on door handles? My car is parked outside all day at work and when I get back around 5.30, they are extremely hot, can't even touch them :( I wish the precooling the car via cell phone would cool the handles as well.
I tested the temp of the door handles and it read 153 degrees . . . Ouch! I got some self-adhesive felt blankets at Home Depot and cut them to fit on the inside of the door handles. It works nicely provided that you use the proximity sensor or key fob to extend the handles. It was an easy and inexpensive fix.

I tested the temp of the door handles and it read 153 degrees . . . Ouch! I got some self-adhesive felt blankets at Home Depot and cut them to fit on the inside of the door handles. It works nicely provided that you use the proximity sensor or key fob to extend the handles. It was an easy and inexpensive fix.

Interesting idea, do the door handles still flush with door after putting felt blankets? I was not sure if there is enough space to put the anything inside.