Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested the temp of the door handles and it read 153 degrees . . . Ouch! I got some self-adhesive felt blankets at Home Depot and cut them to fit on the inside of the door handles. It works nicely provided that you use the proximity sensor or key fob to extend the handles. It was an easy and inexpensive fix.

My concern with doing that would be the glue on the felt getting 'loose' in the heat. what kind of felt did you get? Any issues with it melting in the heat?

My concern with doing that would be the glue on the felt getting 'loose' in the heat. what kind of felt did you get? Any issues with it melting in the heat?
John: I checked with the service center and was assured that it wouldn't be a problem even if the pads fell off inside the door. They've been installed now for three weeks with no sign of becoming loose. The product is "Shepherd 4-1/2 in. x 6 in. Feltgard Heavy-Duty Self-Adhesive Felt Blankets 2 Pack" available at Home Depot for $3.78.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting idea, do the door handles still flush with door after putting felt blankets? I was not sure if there is enough space to put the anything inside.
Yes, the handles are still flush with the felts pads installed on the inside surface.

Thanks Mark! I wasnt as concerned about them coming loose while retracted as much as I was them not really staying in place when pulled and sliding leaving gluey residue all over the place.

Sounds like the glue is solid and heat resistant. Please do update us in a couple more weeks if this is continuing to work fine for you. I might consider it as the recent heat has caused them to be "too hot to handle" even for a Replicant like me.

It could be me, was on Ray Rd yesterday heading west around 11:40am.

We used the app to turn on the A/C 5 minutes before getting in the car, by then the cabin was quite comfortable. The only downside is the door handles are scorching hot, almost burn my hands even though i touched it for less than 2 seconds.

Had to be. How many other Blue Teslas were on Ray rd going west? :). Those door handles are not designed for Phoenix.

Bob

My car is scheduled to be delivered next month and I'm pretty sure a few road trips will ensue after delivery. Any AZ Tesla veterans have suggestions on charge points for both trips to Flagstaff and Tucson? Any EV friendly hotels or resorts anyone is aware of?

Has anyone had a drop in max range charge? I told the service center that the car P85 used to charge to 245 when I first got it 3 months ago and now only charges to 230 overnight. They told me this was normal because it was the summer?

I can understand an AC load affecting the miles range when vehicle is being used but it shouldn't affect the max actual charge overnight should it?

Has anyone had a drop in max range charge? I told the service center that the car P85 used to charge to 245 when I first got it 3 months ago and now only charges to 230 overnight. They told me this was normal because it was the summer?

I can understand an AC load affecting the miles range when vehicle is being used but it shouldn't affect the max actual charge overnight should it?

Are you sure it was a max range charge? Max range should be close to 265 rated miles. 245 sounds like the old 'standard' charge which was closer to 92%. The last tick mark under daily driving in v4.5 corresponds to 90% so slight difference there. There is the vampire drain on top of that so if you finish charging a few hours before to see the car in the morning will see a little less range as well.

We got ours on 6/8 and were seeing 243 each morning but now see 238 each morning... Our garage does get quite warm and the interior temp in the car in the monring has been ~104 so the temp could have something to do with it as I have heard the fans cooling the battery. I know it will charge to 243 or 242 if I start the charge in the morning (tested it to see if the mileage difference was due to vampire loss).

Are you sure it was a max range charge? Max range should be close to 265 rated miles. 245 sounds like the old 'standard' charge which was closer to 92%. The last tick mark under daily driving in v4.5 corresponds to 90% so slight difference there. There is the vampire drain on top of that so if you finish charging a few hours before to see the car in the morning will see a little less range as well.

Sorry, you are correct not max range but standard charge. I didn't even think of the vampire load, what time charge finishes, and the heat in the garage at night. I guess that could affect all to lose 15 miles? I'll play around with the timer to set it to finish closer to when we actually leave for work and see if that does anything.

The 2-3% difference between the old standard charge and 90% will account for most of that. Did you notice the big jump after you updated to 4.5? Sounds normal so don't think anything to worry about but they'll check it out next time you take it in for service.

Can anyone corroborate Kenne74's claim the AC uses very little power? That defies the laws of thermodynamics....and common sense.

Yes, I can corroborate Kenne74's claim. Relative to moving a 4,500 lb. car at 75 miles per hour, the A/C, radio, and lights have a negligible impact on range. Yes, common sense dictates any power draw is still reducing max range, it's just not as much as you might expect. I've also had those protracted conference calls sitting idle in my Model S running the A/C at 73 degrees for 45 minutes in the Phoenix sun -- I recall I lost 2 miles of rated range. It should be even less if the car is moving (since you'd have natural airflow over the A/C condenser).

Yes, I can corroborate Kenne74's claim. Relative to moving a 4,500 lb. car at 75 miles per hour, the A/C, radio, and lights have a negligible impact on range. Yes, common sense dictates any power draw is still reducing max range, it's just not as much as you might expect. I've also had those protracted conference calls sitting idle in my Model S running the A/C at 73 degrees for 45 minutes in the Phoenix sun -- I recall I lost 2 miles of rated range. It should be even less if the car is moving (since you'd have natural airflow over the A/C condenser).

I was waiting in my car from 7:45 am to 9:30 am after a 45 minute drive, so the interior was already cool. I was in the shade for the first hour. Range dropped 12 miles with the A/C set to 70. I would not say the A/C power consumption is insignificant.

Any AZ Tesla veterans have suggestions on charge points for both trips to Flagstaff and Tucson?
If you are traveling to/from Tucson then the Picacho Peak (Bowling Travel Center) charger is your best bet. It's a dual 70A charger. You will need to have a ChargePoint card or call the 1-800 number located at the charger. There is also a charger near Casa Grande along the highway. There are 3 Blink chargers at the Outlets at Casa Grande, but at 30A and the fact that the outlets are practically deserted does not make this a prime location. You can use the Recargo website to find more chargers. Also the Recargo Tesla website is formatted for the Model S 17" screen and can be used from your car. Recargo also has an iOS and Android app that allows better filtering than their website.

Also, when you actually arrive in Tucson there are at least 50 charging stations around town. Use Recargo to find them.