Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My criteria was to not pay anymore than my current electric bill. I’m on managed pay plan so $250 month. I orderEd X-Lg 16.32 Kw and 3 powerwalls. With the 20 yr loan, that’s about the same as my monthly electric bill once get all the tax incentives. I choose 3 powerwalls so I could have whole house with 2 AC units running if have grid outage. SRP will charge you a $32.44 grid fee each month so you would have to sell them back enough power to get rid of those dollars. On a TOU plan they pay you 2.81 cents per kWh.

The 2.81 cents is for the non-demand solar plans. I think you’ll want to do the E-27 or E-15 plan (demand charges sound like a non-issue with your system) and sell at the net metered rate (3.7 to 6.22 cents per kw).

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
No loan will be $250/month and I’m assuming my solar generation plus power wall storage covers all my electrical needs plus enough to sell back to SRP to cover $32.44 grid fee. On managed pay plan you pay a fixed amount each month. So actual bill is lower in winter so $ get banked and then used during summer when bill is closer to $400/month. My house is all electric.
Thanks for letting me know!
I'm currently getting laid off at my job, my last day is September 4th.
Once I find something to replace it, I think I'll pull the trigger on this!

New record solar output today with clear skies and cooler temps. Went 13 hours without pulling from grid (batteries started the day with a full charge from the weekend), and ended the peak period with 58% charge remaining on the batteries. Loving the system so far! Excited to see the impact to my bill.

Screenshot_20200831-215746.png

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
Hello, been lurking before creating an account. I just had my extra-large solar panel system installed this week with power walls being installed on Tuesday 9/8 (3 of them). The reason I am posting is because I read through this post and saw that we shouldn't be paying tax on the install. When I brought this up to my project advisor he told me they're charging me tax on the gateway. I told him the way the ARS 42-5001 is worded that the gateway is considered a solar device as it directs power through my system. Hes going to escalate it but I didn't think it would be this much of a fight to get them to take tax off. Has anyone encountered this? I may just have my attorney get involved if it gets to a point where they wont concede.

Hello, been lurking before creating an account. I just had my extra-large solar panel system installed this week with power walls being installed on Tuesday 9/8 (3 of them). The reason I am posting is because I read through this post and saw that we shouldn't be paying tax on the install. When I brought this up to my project advisor he told me they're charging me tax on the gateway. I told him the way the ARS 42-5001 is worded that the gateway is considered a solar device as it directs power through my system. Hes going to escalate it but I didn't think it would be this much of a fight to get them to take tax off. Has anyone encountered this? I may just have my attorney get involved if it gets to a point where they wont concede.
They were charging me tax on my Powerwalls. I called after reading comments here about not paying. The advisor I talked too was aware of AZ not paying sales tax. They redid my loan paperwork and took it off with no hassle.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
Update: They took the taxes "off" I say that with quotes because they just did a price reduction to eliminate the taxes from the total cost of the system.

That was how they did it for me in Florida as well. I asked about it and they said that for some reason their system didn’t allow them to remove the taxes so the price reduction was how they worked around it.

New record solar output today with clear skies and cooler temps. Went 13 hours without pulling from grid (batteries started the day with a full charge from the weekend), and ended the peak period with 58% charge remaining on the batteries. Loving the system so far! Excited to see the impact to my bill.
My son is in the process of having a system install in Chandler.
How large is your system to produce that amount of energy? What is your annual production estimate of your size system?
I suggested to my son and sent a link to read these AZ threads but he is a very busy person. Will see.
Thanks.

Do you all here in AZ favor one power company plan pricing over another with your solar systems?
Pinch hitting for my son. :)

Since I have batteries that will get me through the peak period, I'm on APS Saver Choice Max plan. It has the lowest rate per kwh, but comes with a large demand charge, which I am now successfully avoiding. Not familiar at all with SRP plans, but it sounds like they have several that are geared specifically towards solar customers. APS doesn't have that.

Since I have batteries that will get me through the peak period, I'm on APS Saver Choice Max plan. It has the lowest rate per kwh, but comes with a large demand charge, which I am now successfully avoiding. Not familiar at all with SRP plans, but it sounds like they have several that are geared specifically towards solar customers. APS doesn't have that.
Both are great, thanks. I am passing on the info and specifically this link just in case he stops playing games. :)
He is also getting 3 or 4 batteries, cannot make up his mind.
How many batteries did you get?

Reactions: destructure00
Both are great, thanks. I am passing on the info and specifically this link just in case he stops playing games. :)
He is also getting 3 or 4 batteries, cannot make up his mind.
How many batteries did you get?
I only have 2. It's enough to run my house for the 5 hour demand period with a single A/C unit running in the hottest part of summer and finish the day with ~30% remaining.

• Helpful
I stopped for a minute. Sounds like i would be a little short with the demand charge with only 2 power walls. I have a 10.2 kW system capable on my roof with estimated 14.4 MWh per year. it is very segregated 2 story house with not enough area for more :(. I have 2 AC units too. I wish it could be better, but i guess not for now. Even with that 11.3 kW system you barey hit 9-10 kW during the day? I am thinking i would not really be able to charge that 4th power wall really with my inefficient house and low roof area.

I stopped for a minute. Sounds like i would be a little short with the demand charge with only 2 power walls. I have a 10.2 kW system capable on my roof with estimated 14.4 MWh per year. it is very segregated 2 story house with not enough area for more :(. I have 2 AC units too. I wish it could be better, but i guess not for now. Even with that 11.3 kW system you barey hit 9-10 kW during the day? I am thinking i would not really be able to charge that 4th power wall really with my inefficient house and low roof area.
I've been peaking in the mid 8's, I think because it's been so freaking hot. Hoping to see some better numbers this week with the highs in the 90s. When I hit the 30% range the previous day, mine are typically recharged by around 10:30-11 the next day. I've only been online since 8/18 though, less than a month of history with this install.

Have you monitored how much your house actually uses during your peak period? It seems like with a 11.3 kW system you could be fine with just two PWs.

I have four powewalls, and a 4.1kW PV system. I have 2 relatively large AC Units (4.5 and 3 tons). With four of us working from home, we need to keep the whole house relatively cool all day - so we use between 18-25 kWhrs during our SRP 2-8pm peak period. Even with my small 4.1kW PV system on most days it replenishes what we use during peak since it produces about 25kWrs on a clear day. So most days I'm using the full amount of two PWs, but I have a much smaller PV system. If your house uses roughly the same as ours during peak, I would go with 3 PWs, but seems like with a PV system almost 3 times as big you'd hit your PWs much less during the first 1-2 hours of the Peak period than I do, and might still be okay with just two PWs.

On cloudy days, our 4.1kW system does not keep up replacing what we use during summer peak heat periods, but because I have roughly a spare 25kWhrs of PW backup reserve, it's never been an issue since it can catch up on the weekends, or more often it catches up on a week day where we use less than the normal amount during peak.

Having said all that, I went with more PWs, and less PV specifically because I was focused insuring I always had enough to cover peaks, even with multiple cloudy days, and still have a little backup reserve left over. So I went with smaller PV, and larger PW capacity knowing that a PV system 3 Times as large as my small PV system may just barely produce more useful energy on a very cloudy day, or multiple cloudy days - relative to replenishing multiple power walls.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Have you monitored how much your house actually uses during your peak period? It seems like with a 11.3 kW system you could be fine with just two PWs.
Mine is planned to be 10.2 kW the 11.3 kW was referring to destructure00. I have looked at my peak usage over 1 hr from this summer from SRPs data logger and my 1 hour peaks are ~ 12.5 kWH/hr and this is likely with 2x ACs running full 100% with maybe a dishwasher/clostheswasher/pool pump during my current pre-cool period for the EZ-3 TOU from 3-6. I think 4 is probably not needed and 3 will fully cover the peaks... it certainly can with the 15 kW capacity and I think 3 would be enough to 0 out my demand.

Even with Tesla low prices the payback on these should will be many years :/ I guess this is for the environment too...

As far as PW physical placement. I know they have cooling units, but does it make sense to install them inside my garage instead of outside on a non-direct sunlight wall? I am mostly thinking about longevity of these things. Does Tesla have any reliability/life cycle data on these batteries? Charge/Discharge %s vs life? I would think if you were draining 2 batteries 100% every day they would die sooner than using 4 batteries to 50%. Any idea how much energy do the battery cooling units use or what technology they use on them?