Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Powerwall Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is what my set up looks like, however I still need the meters installed on the battery production and solar production. My original meter is still there and it is not bi-directional.
Did you ever get your system to work off grid with the meter jumpers? I purchased 2 sets and install them where meterr would go. I believe I had all the correct breakers on but power-walls would not take over when main breaker was shut off. i don't see the PW or solar show up in the app with everything powered on. installers demonstrated the PW working on backup so assume all is installed correctly. Seems like Gate-way is not configured to allow me to test without PTO.

Did you ever get your system to work off grid with the meter jumpers? I purchased 2 sets and install them where meterr would go. I believe I had all the correct breakers on but power-walls would not take over when main breaker was shut off. i don't see the PW or solar show up in the app with everything powered on. installers demonstrated the PW working on backup so assume all is installed correctly. Seems like Gate-way is not configured to allow me to test without PTO.
Update: I missed turning on the PW 30A breakers. Tesla troubleshooting said they are in your main breaker panel but mine where installed in separate breaker box. Once these breakers are ON then I'm able to run off grid with meter jumpers. I was also able to log into the Tesla Gateway using the Tesla instructions to join the Gate-way Wifi and use the password located on Gate-way panel. this showed me the installers have hooked up the sensors wrong. Erfor message shows up saying WARNING: Solar meter may be. configured incorrectly.

sigh...so 22 business days have elapsed (since they finally scheduled my commissioning), and my commissioning was today, and it failed SRP inspection. Tesla did not have all the components labelled to SRP's satisfaction (specifically, they want a sitemap by the meter). Back to waiting for that to be installed (hopefully less than a week), and then however long for commissioning to be rescheduled. It has been 9 weeks since install day.

Does anyone know of a way to actually escalate through tesla, or a place to voice my concerns? My project advisor has been awful ever since the original install (voicemails full, doesn't respond to email for weeks if at all, etc). Whenever I call the general number and share my disappointment, they say "oh hold on we'll get someone for you", and then connect me to the very person I just told them was unhelpful (who is magically then available, despite having just ignored my call).

sigh...so 22 business days have elapsed (since they finally scheduled my commissioning), and my commissioning was today, and it failed SRP inspection. Tesla did not have all the components labelled to SRP's satisfaction (specifically, they want a sitemap by the meter). Back to waiting for that to be installed (hopefully less than a week), and then however long for commissioning to be rescheduled. It has been 9 weeks since install day.

Does anyone know of a way to actually escalate through tesla, or a place to voice my concerns? My project advisor has been awful ever since the original install (voicemails full, doesn't respond to email for weeks if at all, etc). Whenever I call the general number and share my disappointment, they say "oh hold on we'll get someone for you", and then connect me to the very person I just told them was unhelpful (who is magically then available, despite having just ignored my call).
What is a site map? I'm waiting on my commissioning also I don't have anything that looks like a site map next to my meter.

Tesla should leave a plastic bag it should have like 3-4 documents including 3 line diagram, the site plan map , and labels. It’s a big plastic they wedge on the outside of the meter. Both city snd SRP need to inspect the plans to code.

seee wedge

Attachments

• 41E1B567-7B21-4B7C-B392-A3F866575016.jpeg
    41E1B567-7B21-4B7C-B392-A3F866575016.jpeg
    670.2 KB · Views: 95
Hello everyone:

looks this group needed more good news so I am glad to announce we started deploying our boxed to automated powerwall schedules for SRP . I built the boxes using rasberry pi and have 3 beta testers. Also my 4kw system expansion is commissioned and my system is sitting at 7.7kw.

we are Gilbert solar find us on Facebook , YouTube by searching “Gilbert Solar”
F7FB484A-7742-4061-BEA3-1538971BAC87.jpeg
FED23D02-6ED3-4A41-8BC1-67C2F9F6D55C.jpeg
EF6D1EC8-7EC2-4150-87E4-A20E68C785FE.png
631EBFFF-09F8-4229-888E-05AA5F3DC919.png
3E89F14C-0119-4D88-B383-4CEC95EAC334.png
69986572-79C4-4F78-A8B0-F0B1C0D13869.jpeg
F0A75BDE-F70E-4C96-80C8-0B0FEFB46840.jpeg

Does anyone else have a project manager that doesn't answer emails, calls or text messages?
I purchased back at the beginning of September. This guy has spoken to me once, and asked what kind of roof tiles I had. I responded to him and he never replied. Since then I have reached out to him multiple times making sure my concrete roof tiles weren't a problem and the last two emails just asking for an update.

He has never replied to me other than one time (after multiple attempts but me reaching out because they screwed something up on my account) asking me about my roof tiles, if they were slate or tile.

I don't care if I have to wait another 6 months for solar, that honestly doesn't bother me. But I expect some form of communication for updates or at least responding to the customer.

I have spoken to other employees there a few times and each time I complained she asked for a different project manager other than Anthony alakai, and each time they see my account and see he hasn't spoken to me and they apologize and promise me a new one. Then nothing happens. It's been over a month since my last attempt and he didn't respond to me over a month ago or again last week in my last two attempts. I'm convinced that Tesla has the worst customer service. They have my money and contract so I guess they just don't care?

Does anyone else have a project manager that doesn't answer emails, calls or text messages?

Yes - unfortunately that is the norm. The only thing that worked for me was to call the main customer service line 888-765-2489. Each time (after waiting 1 to 15 minutes) I'd get a different customer service person who could either answer my question or who could text/chat with others while I was on line to get answers. Any promises to follow up or call/text/email back are unlikely to be fulfilled, so you should just plan on calling back again later. Communication improved for me once my install actually started and I got a local project manager to work with instead of project advisor in Vegas.

how do I get one of these "local project managers"?!

I'm guessing they get assigned when your install is actually scheduled, but you don't meet them (or get their contact info) until they come for a pre-install walk through - which typically happens a week or less before install.

I'm in the middle of a solar roof install without powerwalls in northern Virginia, so the process might be different for panels or powerwalls or other locations. Here are the roles I've encountered since my process started in July:

Pre-commitment sales rep: helpful
First assigned project advisor: contacted me soon after deposit, was helpful, but was impossible to contact thereafter
888 Customer Service Reps: helpful, usually able to connect quickly to other departments (advisors, scheduling, permits, ...), sometimes need to wait a while on the line
Scheduling reps: helpful (and the only "centralized" staff who have called me back)
Second assigned project advisor: never heard anything from her or even spoken to her despite multiple contact attempts
Survey tech: nice guy who politely told me he couldn't answer a lot of my questions when I mistook him for the local project manager
Local project manager: very helpful, responds quickly to texts and calls - but I only met him last week a couple of days before the start of my install :)

I've read others here that have had excellent project advisors, so it may just be luck of the draw.
Email (my preferred form of communication) seems to go into a black hole for everyone.
Maybe I'm just too old - I have trouble getting email responses from my son too.

Hope that gives a little better perspective.
I was annoyed at first, but eventually just decided to move forward and accept that limited communication and long timelines were going to be part of the process.
Hopefully, Tesla can fix this part of the business before they run out of super-fans who are willing to put up with it.

Couple quick questions for you guys.

What's the best plan you guys have found with SRP? The system I'm getting should be overkill for my house.
16.32 kW Solar, 2 Powerwalls

Second, how long does each battery last? I'm getting two power walls and would like to know how long it should last if I were to get no sunlight for say 5 days straight somehow. I can't seem to find straight answers online.

Couple quick questions for you guys.

What's the best plan you guys have found with SRP? The system I'm getting should be overkill for my house.

Second, how long does each battery last? I'm getting two power walls and would like to know how long it should last if I were to get no sunlight for say 5 days straight somehow. I can't seem to find straight answers online.

1. Best plan : E-15 (Average Demand Plan)
If you have powerwalls this is the best plan, if you just have Solar Panels (E-27 Customer Generation Plan)
Both are demand plans, and the average demand plan is better if you have powerwalls , cause you can average your demand down, and less spiky demand #s.

2. Each battery lasts 13.5kwh, but for sizing I like to say the following:
4 KW => 10 KWH production (solar panel)
1 Powerwall => 10 KWH (usage) - per powerwall , although yes you could go up to 13.5kwh, but i like to be conservative in estimates.

You would probably last, 27kwh.
My house, uses 27kwh in about 12 hours. So if you ran everything as you run today, my guess would be you run out of juice from 100% in about 6-12 hours depending on house usage, if you started cutting down power like shut off, ac, pool, all non essentials, I can't see 27kwh lasting more than 1-2 days.
The main result of the powerwall is to reduce demand, and not really for back up. Backup just small luxury and mostly SRP grid is pretty reliable, no documented power outage since November 2019 for me in Gilbert.

if you want to understand more about demand watch my video , hope this helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Thanks for the reply, blueice.
The plan / hope is that I will be completely off grid. I think even if it gets cloudy she rains for a few days that sound like I should be relatively safe from using grid power. Main thing is that with these panels I should be able to crank my ac pretty cold during the hottest part of summer without paying anything extra.

Looking at my history, it looks like August is my worst month at 101kwh
Hopefully the 16kw solar panels will be enough

Last edited:
Here is my video on automating powerwall using Raspberry PI computer unit and python scripting. If you ever wanted finer control of the powerwall schedule or you have multiple peak times say 5am-9am and 5pm -10pm, or some Florida folks that have 6am-10am, and 6pm-10pm then this is a way of automating that. This is super helpful for those in the SRP Region in Arizona now who have split peak times which includes myself cause we’re located in Gilbert, Arizona.

The Tesla software so far has a limitation in only defining 1 peak period but these workarounds can expand that to multiple more than 1 peak periods. Also just in general if you are trying to charge/discharge on a different set schedule like you know its more financial advantage to charge now vs discharge you could use it for that. This latest software was modified to go from the local intranet connection to internet Tesla owners API because Tesla recently closed down the local connection requiring users to toggle power to receive credentials.

If you are wanting to learn more, check out my video.
Thanks for the support everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwCbAUurlu8

• Informative
Reactions: KyleDay