Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Armchair Mechanics: Thoughts Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model S, 60,000 miles.

I have had increasing problems with the steering on the car and put it down to the power steering and got an appointment for the service centre, before going though a bit of research about why it was so stiff to turn the steering wheel every quarter turn and someone mentioned tracking. I got under the car and looked at the tires and both the front tires had the inside shredded (pictures attached).

Because the service centre is 50 miles away I bought new front tires first, and called to get an alignment done.

When I got there though they had one drive of the car and said "Seized U-joint on the steering column", £147 bill and the steering is now smooth.

The mechanic though didn't see how this could have caused the horrible tire wear, so I'm back to alignment.

The rub though is that I'm almost due some back tires so they were adamant they didn't want to do an alignment with the old back tires. They also wanted to charge almost twice the going rate for tires so I won't buy them there and no one else near me will do Alignment on a Tesla. So I've had to drive 50 miles home today, arranged tires for tomorrow morning, then 50 miles back to the service centre for the alignment. (At least Tesla is paying for the electricity)

So my question, has anyone had a seized u-joint cause tire wear?

Any other ideas for this other than alignment? (ruled out tire pressure assuming the TPMS is right)

Has anyone ever had Tesla shift on consumables price? I explained to the guy if he'd have just wanted to charge me £25-30 more for tires from them I'd probably just have eaten the cost and done it, but at £200 more per tire they were really taking the P.

Attachments

• 20200414_112755.jpg
    20200414_112755.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200415_121345.jpg
    20200415_121345.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 49
2017 Model S, 60,000 miles.

I have had increasing problems with the steering on the car and put it down to the power steering and got an appointment for the service centre, before going though a bit of research about why it was so stiff to turn the steering wheel every quarter turn and someone mentioned tracking. I got under the car and looked at the tires and both the front tires had the inside shredded (pictures attached).

Because the service centre is 50 miles away I bought new front tires first, and called to get an alignment done.

When I got there though they had one drive of the car and said "Seized U-joint on the steering column", £147 bill and the steering is now smooth.

The mechanic though didn't see how this could have caused the horrible tire wear, so I'm back to alignment.

The rub though is that I'm almost due some back tires so they were adamant they didn't want to do an alignment with the old back tires. They also wanted to charge almost twice the going rate for tires so I won't buy them there and no one else near me will do Alignment on a Tesla. So I've had to drive 50 miles home today, arranged tires for tomorrow morning, then 50 miles back to the service centre for the alignment. (At least Tesla is paying for the electricity)

So my question, has anyone had a seized u-joint cause tire wear?

Any other ideas for this other than alignment? (ruled out tire pressure assuming the TPMS is right)

Has anyone ever had Tesla shift on consumables price? I explained to the guy if he'd have just wanted to charge me £25-30 more for tires from them I'd probably just have eaten the cost and done it, but at £200 more per tire they were really taking the P.

The steering u-joint issue would not cause tire wear. Looks like the front had excessive toe out.

I will second that the steering joint doesn’t eat tires like that, but I suspect it’s standard practice to do (or check) the alignment after touching the steering column to verify the wheels are properly centered.

All that makes sense, except for their horrible tire pricing and hard sell. I see no reason they couldn’t align the car with older rear tires - then you buy new ones at your leisure.