Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Article from Noah from Pre-Dinner/ Model X event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, she’d originally contacted Tesla about the Model S sedan, a car promising roughly twice the luxury and space as the Roadster at two-thirds the price. A salesperson talked her into test driving the two-seater anyway, and twelve weeks later she had herself an electric sports car.

BTW Bonnie, I had the EXACT same story as you:

Me three ;-)

The other part of Tesla's "bankroll" came from the sale of stock in the initial IPO and later in a second offering of stock for sale to the public.

There are others here who know the history better, but I think much of the original funding came from Elon (who still owns more than 30% or so) and others, and also investments from Daimler, Toyota, and Panasonic.

Last edited:
Agreed, I am just disheartened that reporters seem to solely focus on the government loan to Tesla and ignore the other funding sources that got the ball rolling as well; most of the times they don't even specify the government funds were a loan and leave it to the reader's imagination that the money was a giveaway.

Agreed, I am just disheartened that reporters seem to solely focus on the government loan to Tesla and ignore the other funding sources that got the ball rolling as well; most of the times they don't even specify the government funds were a loan and leave it to the reader's imagination that the money was a giveaway.

Either ignorance or just trying to throw some juicy meat out there for commenters to nibble on.

I'm hoping Tesla has a ceremony where they hand a DOE official a big check showing they paid their loan off in full and we can stop hearing about 'government bailout' from certain news organizations.

I'm hoping Tesla has a ceremony where they hand a DOE official a big check showing they paid their loan off in full and we can stop hearing about 'government bailout' from certain news organizations.

They will make a head line "Continued public pressure made Tesla pay back govt money." If you don't stick with the truth, there are no limits how far you can go.

They’ve also set the world distance record of 311 miles for a production electric car on a single charge
How is this measured / certified? If it's from logs from the car, it would make a fun "race" to see who can hit 350 mi./charge in the S or X first.

Also, an app to track "personal best" would be fun as well.