Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Model 3 delivery is being postponed until next Thursday 12/28 (from Tues 12/26). Kind of disheartening. They say it's not even in transit and they don't know when it will be.
Someone should invent a way for one driver to drive one truck and have 2 or 3 more follow along. I’d call it platooning.

Sounds like the new bottleneck is shipping. Hope they get that train sidecar loading working immediately.

• Funny
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Someone should invent a way for one driver to drive one truck and have 2 or 3 more follow along. I’d call it platooning.

Sounds like the new bottleneck is shipping. Hope they get that train sidecar loading working immediately.

I thought Elon essentially talked about just that at the semi unveiling. He said putting a bunch of trucks into train, one following the other was more efficient than rail. He didn't specifically say the other trucks were driver-less, but that's the impression I was left with.

• Funny
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Well, to make a long story short, I'm no longer taking delivery this week.

A few weeks ago when Tesla issued my VIN they had messed up my delivery center by assigning me a farther service center. When I asked to change it to a closer service center, they said it would start the whole process over and they would have no idea when I could get my car. So, I figured I'd go with it since they said I would get my car by the end of the year if I kept the farther service center for delivery. However, a couple days before my original delivery date (Dec 26) they said the car wasn't in transit and they didn't even know when it would be in transit so they had to postpone my delivery. The somewhat frustrating part was that they said they had no visibility on the car. So I called again today (Dec 26), and they are still saying that my car hasn't arrived and they don't know when. So, I told them I can't keep postponing my delivery date because the service center is far enough where I'm continuously needing to change my family plans. So, I told them to ship it to my nearest service center, which they say will require them to issue a new VIN and push out the delivery date.

A few weeks ago when Tesla issued my VIN they had messed up my delivery center by assigning me a farther service center. When I asked to change it to a closer service center, they said it would start the whole process over and they would have no idea when I could get my car. So, I figured I'd go with it since they said I would get my car by the end of the year if I kept the farther service center for delivery. However, a couple days before my original delivery date (Dec 26) they said the car wasn't in transit and they didn't even know when it would be in transit so they had to postpone my delivery. The somewhat frustrating part was that they said they had no visibility on the car. So I called again today (Dec 26), and they are still saying that my car hasn't arrived and they don't know when. So, I told them I can't keep postponing my delivery date because the service center is far enough where I'm continuously needing to change my family plans. So, I told them to ship it to my nearest service center, which they say will require them to issue a new VIN and push out the delivery date.

:(

But at least, hopefully this time it will be more convenient. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm ok with it. Not a huge deal.
Nice to see your good attitude. Reading Model S delivery thread is filled with people buying a prestige car, not lovers of the brand and idea of the car. Any inconvenience in the delivery process is unacceptable. Long term I think this is an advantage, since Tesla can control the delivery process more than a manufacturer, but your go with the flow attitude is not something Tesla can count on like the early days.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the car after delivery.

I don't understand why they would need to issue a new VIN just so you can have it shipped to a closer service center. It sounds like a chaotic situation with the Model 3 right now.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I don't understand why they would need to issue a new VIN just so you can have it shipped to a closer service center. It sounds like a chaotic situation with the Model 3 right now.
My guess:
As of now there is a small number of different configurations, so they just per-produce cars and send them of to delivery-/service-centers. Then they are matched with matching orders. When he asked to get an another delivery-center he was put back in at the end of the line waiting for a matching car going to that location. The first car will be delivered to an another customer at that location it was designated for.

Thanks for keeping us updated DaveT.
FWIW, it's been over 4 weeks since I configured and I've yet to receive even a VIN. It sounds like you have better communication with Tesla than I do. I made contact one time and got s nice email from the Model 3 DS in Las Vegas who said, until she has a VIN she can't tell me much of anything about schedule. I recall similar uncertainty when I configured my Model S with Standard Suspension. That feature was not part of the initial production and it was months after the initial production runs. The DS couldn't tell me much of anything then either. The good part of the delay was I got the "B" series battery pack which charges at a higher rate. So, sometimes delays work out for the best.
But yeah, I guess it's chaotic trying to match up customer deliveries with a highly variable production queue.

DaveT - when could we expect an update of Tesla Weekly again?
I did not see you mention this anywhere else?
My wife and I just had a baby a few weeks ago so needed to prioritize that and a few other things.

I'm also looking for some help with Tesla Weekly. If any one is interested, please PM me.

Thanks to @FredTMC, I was able to drive his Model 3 for about 30 minutes yesterday.

I was in shock all day.

The car blew me away. Way beyond my expectations.

Electrek put out an article saying the Model 3 is all we hoped it to be. Wrong. Completely wrong. It’s not what we hoped it to be. It’s way beyond that.

The car is truly amazing to drive.

The handling is much better than a BMW 3 series. I don’t think it’s even close. When I took my first corner, my mouth dropped. It felt like taking a corner in a Miata. I didn’t think it was possible to hug a corner like that in a sedan.

Acceleration is quick and what we’re used to driving a Tesla, which means it’s in a class to itself.

I was surprised at how quiet the cabin was driving at 70mph. Much quieter than my 2013 P85. I wasn’t expecting that. And ride comfort on the freeway seemed similar to my much larger P85. I didn’t expect that either.

Somehow Tesla managed to make a car with super handling but without sacrificing much comfort. Add in the latest tech/Autopilot and 300+ mile range. Tons of cargo space, spacious front and rear seats, incredible front visibility.

This car puts everything in its class to shame.

Complete game-changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.