Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of the analysts using our analysis as free publicity. It is not a one way relationship. Most of us on this forum are enthusiasts and are investors in Tesla. However, we lack access to rich clients to spread the gospel of Tesla. These analysts who reads the forum provides that readership. In my point of view, it is a good symbiotic relationship where the summed effort is greater than the individual efforts.

Exactly. If we're providing free *quality* information to the Wall Street analysts, that should help improve the quality of reports they turn out, which helps the stock. There's a lot of misinformation spewed into the blogosphere; TMC can be a counterweight.

Chickensevil I assume you heard what Elon said in that recent interview with Bloomberg:

Musk made another interesting declaration in the Bloomberg interview that crosses over into Google territory, saying that he expects Tesla to be “the first company to market with significant autonomous driving function in the vehicles.”

IWith TSLA, I think the exuberance could have continued as long as Tesla was able to scale production in an exciting way (ie., 6500 deliveries in Q3 and 7500 in Q4). We could have seen the stock continue it’s trek into the 200s to 300 over the next several months.

DaveT has evidently purchased a time machine with his TSLA winnings.

Thanks for all of the insight and rational thought. It is very, very appreciated.

If I'm reading the MS report correctly, they have unit volume of 371k in 2020.

I believe that is Model S/X plus Gen III. They were looking for just 220k Gen III. I guess the factory PDF doesn't specify if the 500k is just Gen III or not. I assumed so as presumably they will be getting batteries for the other cars somewhere else before the factory goes online.

Would like clarity on that point.

Isn't that number a sales projection by MS? This is Tesla's production estimate.

Correct. All I'm pointing out is that the MS report was seen as quite bullish, and Tesla is estimating that they will produce 30% more cars in 2020 than even the MS report suggested. And in Tesla's case, production = sales (+/- a month or so for overseas deliveries--point being they don't produce cars they haven't already found a buyer for). Who knows what the actual number will be, but Tesla hasn't tossed around #s they don't plan to meet in the past.

Sorry for the derail.

Could be packs produced, not all of them are destined for vehicles.
Stationary grid storage, and let's not forget replacement packs for older Model S's as well,
and of course supplying spares for all if the service centers (there will be many more with hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads)

Yeah, I agree with you about production = sales, but technically they are not giving guidance for 500K sales in 2020 just yet. That's just our interpretation :wink:

The direct quote is 2020 Tesla vehicle production ~500,000/yr. So you are correct that they say production rather than sales. Either way, that is a bold statement.

won't they then run into some issues with the factory in Fremont which is estimated to max out at 500k vehicles a year? I could see them needing to build another or expand the current battery factory as well as needing at least 1 additional auto factory right around the same time.

won't they then run into some issues with the factory in Fremont which is estimated to max out at 500k vehicles a year? I could see them needing to build another or expand the current battery factory as well as needing at least 1 additional auto factory right around the same time.

I have been warning of this for a while. The "2020 plan" to me isn't complete without a plan for more car capacity. They need another factory. Not to play into a bear "dilution is coming" argument, but they will need more space.

I have been warning of this for a while. The "2020 plan" to me isn't complete without a plan for more car capacity. They need another factory. Not to play into a bear "dilution is coming" argument, but they will need more space.

Well, sure. They'll need more gigafactories, too. But a second factory won't be a near-term need for a couple-few years.

ICE auto makers are in for a slow motion train wreck

Great synopsis DaveT...I don't see why Tesla Motors can't eventually have a trillion dollar market cap in 10-20 years time if things continue to go as I expect them over the coming years...In 10+ years I expect they will have multiple Giga factories...be selling millions of cars per year...many or all autonomous capable cars by then...energy storage for solar power homes/businesses....and perhaps electric vertical take off/landing planes even starting to dip their toes into to start disrupting the airline business at some point down the road. That last part would be an added bonus if that happens.

Yep, the ICE auto market being disrupted by Tesla is like a slow motion train wreck. And we’ve got front row seats.

So Dave, MS was looking for 220k units in 2020, yes? Cause Tesla just said 500k in this PDF on the battery factory.

The direct quote is 2020 Tesla vehicle production ~500,000/yr. So you are correct that they say production rather than sales. Either way, that is a bold statement.

I wouldn’t make too much of Morgan Stanley’s low 2020 estimate (220k Gen3 and 150 Model S/X). Yes they might have to boost their estimates with this gigafactory announcement but probably won’t do so for a long time. Also, Tesla has thrown around the 500k figure by the end of the decade. DB’s latest report forecasts 450k cars in 2020.

Yep, here’s how I look at it. The Gigafactory is costing far less than most of us expected, especially with Tesla only contributing $2b out of the $4-5b necessary. I have some ideas on how they’re arranged that but I’ll save that for a later post.

But the point is that Tesla will be able to scale Gigafactory to many Gigafactories relatively easily since $2b is really not that much money.

Also, JB Straubel’s Stanford talk last year mentioned 700k vehicles in 2019
(Articles/megaposts by DaveT - Page 17), which would mean probably over 1m in 2020, or 2021. Then scaling more from then.

So, in order to meet 700k demand in 2019, they need to start building Gigafactory #2 in 2016 (assuming it takes 3 years to build). Where do you think they’ll build it? China makes the most sense. So it will be an auto factory with a Gigafactory next to it.

But that won’t be enough since in 2020-2021 they’ll likely be able to sell more than 1 million cars (according to JB Straubel’s slide showing 700k in 2019). So, they’ll need Gigafactory #3 online by 2021. That means they need to start building Gigafactory #3 three years earlier, 2018. Where should they build it? Europe probably.

So, here’s how Gigafactory rollout looks like:
Gigafactory #1: U.S.
2014 - start building
2017 - comes online

Gigafactory #2 and auto factory #2: China
2016 - start building
2019 - comes online

Gigafactory #3 and auto factory #3: Europe
2018 - start building
2021 - comes online

Then, from 2019-2020 they might need to start building a new gigafactory every year (or at least 500k capacity of factory for both battery and auto).

Now, some might think this sounds overly optimistic.

But Elon and JB have mentioned in the past that technology adoption usually starts off slower than people think but when it moves from early to mass market adoption, the adoption rate is much faster than most people realize. Meaning, Tesla’s challenge is going to be meeting the steep demand curve for Gen3 (and maybe Gen4) where we see demand really scaling like a hockey stick. This is the only way over 50% of new vehicles sold will be electric by 2030 (Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA) - Page 32).

So today’s announcement that one gigafactory supplying 500k cars with batteries only will cost Tesla $2b provides us with a clear roadmap on how Tesla is going to scale to millions of cars. 5 million cars/year sold by Tesla by 2028 means they need 10 gigafactories (if each one has 500k battery pack production capacity). I think it’s doable.

Morgan Stanley estimates Tesla to sell 1.1m cars in 2028. I think they’re off by about 4 million.

Yep, the ICE auto market being disrupted by Tesla is like a slow motion train wreck. And we’ve got front row seats.

I’ll explain a bit more what I mean by ICE auto makers are in for a slow motion train wreck.

First, as battery costs comes down EVs become increasingly more compelling and take away sales from ICE auto makers unless they’re able to make EVs that can compete with Tesla in price and performance. As the cost of batteries continue to decrease (7-8% annually), EVs will overtake ICE cars in new car sales by the year 2030 (according to Elon who think it could happen a few years earlier than this).

The problem ICE auto makers face is that every sale of a Tesla means one more person has decided not to buy an ICE car and instead has decided to buy an EV. That person is not coming back (in most cases) to becoming and ICE customer. In the auto industry, when a customer buys a different brand car it’s called a “conquest” because that person has switched from his old car brand to a new brand and this is actually more difficult than it might seem as people are quite loyal to their cars.

In order for ICE auto makers to compete with Tesla they need to compete in two main areas: performance and price. Performance increase handling/acceleration/etc and also battery range. ICE auto makers must make EVs that compete favorably with Tesla in terms of price and performance/range. Currently there’s nothing on the market that competes with the Model S in these two areas as an EV.

Some say that ICE auto makers will eventually release models that compete with Tesla and then Tesla will be overwhelmed by competition. However, in order to compete with Gen3 other ICE auto makers need to get down the cost of the battery to the same level as Tesla does. But in order to do that, they will need to build battery Gigafactories as well. However, in order to build a battery Gigafactory there needs to be significant demand for the EV car you’re making. But how can you have significant demand when you’re the price of your EV car is much higher than Gen3 (or has much less performance/range).

Thus, ICE auto makers will be hesitant to making huge battery Gigafactories until they see large demand for their sub-par (when compared to Gen3) EVs. They might be waiting for a long time. And what will probably wake them up is when their ICE cars sales start to decline, and by that time the slow motion train wreck is already in full motion. As car sales decrease, these ICE auto makers immediately feel the pinch and they can start seeing losses. Even a 10-20% drop in ICE auto sales can have serious negative effects on these businesses and they will be hit with losses, be forced to lay off workers, and close plants. As ICE auto sales drop even further, many of the assets of these ICE auto makers become liabilities as they’re forced to keep old plants running supporting a declining technology (ICE).

Now, I don’t see this happening within the next few to several years. That’s why it’s a slow motion train wreck. It won’t be until the 2020s sometime where ICE makers notice declines in sales due to increasing EV sales. And then it probably won’t be until another several years where we see the auto industry massively change as companies restructure, go bankrupt, merge or get acquired.

In the future (15-20 years) I see the auto industry consolidating much like the cell phone industry consolidated when it was disrupted by Apple and also Google. In the auto industry, I can it largely dominated by 3-4 massive players with many smaller players disappearing through a series of mergers, acquisitions and bankruptcy. Tesla (at this rate) will likely be the dominant player with high gross margins and operating profit. There might be 1-2 other players who are a result of consolidation in the ICE auto industry. And then there might be another tech company, like Google.

IMO there will be a lot of carnage in the ICE auto industry in the next 8-15 years.

Last edited:
At some point they will stop building them and start picking them up for pennies on the dollar from the ICE manufacturers, where are the Porsche factories? Kidding of course but i'm thinking those might become available first. They could use those for European deliveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.