Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally I was planning on keeping my P85 and using my new Model 3 for 6-12 months, and then selling both to buy a S or X 100D.

But after my recent test drive, I’m now planning on selling my S and using the Model 3 as my main family car. I’m mostly driving with my wife and 2 kids or at least one kid in the rear so I thought the Model 3 would be too firm/bumpy compared to my S. But I think the 3 will be fine. But I’ll keep my S for maybe a week or so after getting my 3 so I can make a better comparison.
Maybe sell the M3 and buy an M3 with AWD and Air suspension?

Reactions: kbM3
i'd keep the s, if only because the day the texting teenager driving an suv plows into my car with my family in it, i would want the s.

Originally I was planning on keeping my P85 and using my new Model 3 for 6-12 months, and then selling both to buy a S or X 100D.

But after my recent test drive, I’m now planning on selling my S and using the Model 3 as my main family car. I’m mostly driving with my wife and 2 kids or at least one kid in the rear so I thought the Model 3 would be too firm/bumpy compared to my S. But I think the 3 will be fine. But I’ll keep my S for maybe a week or so after getting my 3 so I can make a better comparison.

i'd keep the s, if only because the day the texting teenager driving an suv plows into my car with my family in it, i would want the s.

I'd want the S/X as well, but hope people aren't thinking it's some magic life-saving miracle bubble. Please be careful out there.

i'm always reminded of this story:

Family devastated by deadly crash on I-405; girl dies, sister and father still hospitalized
By SCOTT SCHWEBKE | [email protected] | Orange County Register
August 17, 2016 at 7:00 am

[...]
Mod: copyright law and forum policy do not allow posting entire contents of articles. Follow the link below if you want more details. My summary: tragic accident, Tesla didn't save one passenger. --ggr.
Family devastated by deadly crash on I-405; girl dies, sister and father still hospitalized – Orange County Register

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy

i don't think so simply owing to the size of the s and the larger crumple zones. the weight difference helps too. isn't the model s the safest car available?

So I assume you have a deposit in on a Semi :)

I’m posting this here in response to DaveT’s newsletter article about the Tesla AI chip.

I had a minor epiphany this morning. I’m positive that Tesla’s AI Chip will be superior to Intel’s chip. I have two questions though.Andrew Karpathay tweeted this link:
Deep Learning Hardware Limbo - Tim Dettmers
Two brief excerpts:
Nervana’s design is very special mainly due to its large programmable caches (similar to CUDA shared memory) which are 10 times bigger per chip compared to GPUs and 50 times bigger per compute unit compared to GPUs. With this one will be able to design in-cache algorithms and models. This will speed up inference by at least an order of magnitude and one will be able to easily train on terabytes of data with small in-cache deep learning models, say, a multi-layer LSTM with 200 units. This will make this chip very attractive for startups and larger companies. Due to a special datatype, Flexpoint, one is able to store more data in caches/RAM and compute faster yielding even more benefits. All of this could mean speedup of about 10x compared to current NVIDIA GPU’s for everyone.
<Snip>
I personally will switch to NNPs if they are priced below $2500. They are just so much superior to GPUs for deep learning and I will be able to do things which are just impossible with NVIDIA hardware.

The reasons I’m positive that it’s better is that if it’s not substantially better (and we know that Andrew and Elon know about the Intel chip) why would they do it? Hiring a team of world class chip design and designing their own chips isn’t a trivial project.

My questions are will they sell the chip or keep it as a competitive advantage and what do we think is the better option for the SP?

I believe that in addition to cars that plan to use the chips in the alien dreadnaught custom robots. I think Elon had that in mind when he said that he didn’t think anyone else would be able to duplicate Tesla’s production line software.

Time to short Nvidia :D?

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: elasalle and DaveT
Related article:
Ten Predictions For AI Silicon In 2018

Ten Predictions For AI Silicon In 2018
2017 was an exciting year for fans and adopters of AI. As we enter 2018, I wanted to take a look at what lies ahead. One thing is certain: we’ve barely just begun on this journey and there will be great successes and monumental failures in the year to come. Before I dive into the dangerous waters of predictions, it might be helpful to set the stage with some of the highlights and lowlights of AI of 2017. A lot happened this past year, so I will try to keep this brief!. <Snip>

Tomorrow I'm picking up my Model 3, and it's marks a sort of culmination in a very long journey for me.

5 1/2 years ago I started to invest in TSLA and my thesis was largely that the Model 3 would be amazing and significantly better than anything in its class. Receiving delivery on my Model 3 means that I can finally personally validate that thesis from 5 1/2 years ago. I think it will take me a few weeks of driving to really take the Model 3 through a sufficient testing. But afterward, I'll be able to hopefully close a chapter in this journey.

Tomorrow I'm picking up my Model 3, and it's marks a sort of culmination in a very long journey for me.

5 1/2 years ago I started to invest in TSLA and my thesis was largely that the Model 3 would be amazing and significantly better than anything in its class. Receiving delivery on my Model 3 means that I can finally personally validate that thesis from 5 1/2 years ago. I think it will take me a few weeks of driving to really take the Model 3 through a sufficient testing. But afterward, I'll be able to hopefully close a chapter in this journey.
Great to hear DaveT!
I just picked mine up in Fremont this afternoon and did a shakedown cruise on 101 and I-5. They updated the SW while I was signing stuff and was happy to have the rain-sensing wiper feature for the rainy drive out of Silicon Valley. AP kicked in about 40 miles into the journey. One stop in Kettleman and I was home.
First impression... So FUN! Await your longer term assessment.

Great to hear DaveT!
I just picked mine up in Fremont this afternoon and did a shakedown cruise on 101 and I-5. They updated the SW while I was signing stuff and was happy to have the rain-sensing wiper feature for the rainy drive out of Silicon Valley. AP kicked in about 40 miles into the journey. One stop in Kettleman and I was home.
First impression... So FUN! Await your longer term assessment.

Thanks!

It’s amazing to me that thousands of people have taken and will take delivery of the Model 3 without seeing it or test driving it.

@DaveT I'm so thrilled to read your review of the test drive and to hear that you're finally taking delivery (or probably have by now, and are too busy driving it to be posting here).

I love reading your posts, and I too invested in the stock after learning about the Model S and researching Tesla's plans to build superchargers. Back then (2013), the S ramp was just beginning, and there were something like a half dozen supercharger stations mostly in California. There wouldn't be any in Canada for quite some time and I had not yet test driven the car. But I read a ton (mostly on this site) and started to realize that if Tesla came anywhere close to the dream of a lower cost car (now Model 3), the stock was a no brainer, and was not pricing any of that success in.

At the time I also had no frikkin' CLUE about autonomous driving (I literally thought it was a joke when Elon started to tweet about it), and I had no idea they'd expand into the energy business or build GigaFactories to lower production cost.

My own test drive and purchase (S85) came about a year later. I'm very glad I saw the light (or electrons?) and invested in the stock when I did.

Keep in mind I'm writing this in Ontario, Canada when we have been experiencing temperatures of -20C for a couple of weeks. It's insanely cold. Yes, range is affected, but Tesla (as a winter car) is unbelievably awesome. People are plugging in their diesel trucks / cars just to ensure they can start them. When people in this climate realize what an EV truck can do, they'll buy. My town is all about pickup trucks.

Growth still ahead is huge. YUGE.

Model 3 ramp, Model Y, pickup, semi, energy business, autonomy (100% gross margin for software upgrades) ... I'm pretty excited for the next 10 years.

Mission accomplished, Tesla. Well done.

A20DD0BE-3159-427B-8574-830FD5506DA9.jpeg

7267292A-6D53-4672-A739-40081B847C53.jpeg

93190448-76BD-4434-9E31-2F509743968A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.