Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ashburn/One Loudoun Potential for supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is major expansion at the One Loudoun retail space (corner of 7 and 28.) A bunch of restaurants now, lots more commercial space coming, a few new parking garages are going up, and they are trying to maintain the "green" appearance for the commercial side of the house, which sounds like the perfect mix for a supercharger location to me. Not to mention, getting power and facilities is always cheaper when the ground is getting broken up anyway vs after the fact.

I know this because I had a problem with the GE chargers in the central area and contacted the management. So far its been a fiasco to support, so they do have a bad taste for charging due to the poor support given by GE and the wattstations, but we all know that Tesla is different in who actually owns/supports the install. The good news is they have been in contact with Tesla before about setting up events out in the One Loudoun center for test drives etc, so there is some familiarity between the two entities, but One Loudoun had no idea what a supercharger was.... Time to fix that issue :)

If you think it is a valuable location, please go and fill out the tesla form for a supercharger request. The more people who request it, the higher the chance it will happen!

The supercharger program in the US has been all about enabling long distance travel. The superchargers are strategicly located along major routes of long distance travel and One Loudoun's location doesn't really make the cut in my opinion. In other countries (China, Europe) Tesla has put chargers in more urban areas so eventually there may be an opportunity for progressive locations to cost-share with Tesla on superchargers.

I do frequent the location for dining and movies. Tesla's destination charger program could be good here, installing a few HPWC's or simply a few NEMA 14-50's would be a great enhancement beyond the crappy GE wattstations which are slow (J1772) and have proven to be unreliable over the years.

I definitely support One Loudoun improving their EV infrastructure with whatever expansion they make with parking despite the fact that their initial efforts have been challenged by selecting parking spaces that ICE drivers want (too convenient) and poor hardware.

I live less than 10 mins from One Loudoun, and I also agree it's not an ideal location for Superchargers enabling long distance travel. It's at the junction of 28 & 7, which are not high-speed/long distance routes. The Greenway/267 are closest, and those are short-distance connectors.

I live right down the road from One Loudoun. I've also put a bunch of miles on the car using superchargers. Granted there are a bunch of high-traffic roads nearby, I just don't see the destination as a travel waypoint. If there were a folks wanting to get northbound from I95 to Route 15/I81/Harrisburg (and hopefully new supercharger soon) and visa versa in droves, skipping I95 in MD/DE/NJ, then maybe. But I think that's going to come later once all the obvious interstate intersections are built out.

And I think the One Loudoun owners have clearly indicated their preference to be neutral on the charger stance by selecting a J1772 that EV's in general can use. Checking the Plugshare site, there's a lot of Leaf and Volt owners that visit the Wattstations. I've grown to hate them because of their spotty availability, customer service/support and in general the propensity to get ICE'd.

Plus, honestly, being a local, I don't see myself using it. I've used the Wattstations, but more in an effort to raise EV awareness by parking/charging than because I've actually needed to power-up so close to home. I just don't think the time is right for this site yet.

I have to agree with the other replies here, One Loudoun is a pretty unlikely location for a supercharger at the moment. I'd sooner expect one along I-66 (Centreville/Gainesville) or Leesburg near Routes 7 & 15, and I think even those locations are unlikely in the short to medium term. But if you have contacts with the management, it wouldn't hurt to talk to them about the supercharger and destination charger programs. If nothing else it would be spreading the word.