Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Asking for insight on a service damage issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but I want to have my thoughts in order in case this turns into a nightmare case as I’ve read about with many others.

While servicing my car for the steering rack recall as well as a busted sun visor, a technician accidentally ripped the headliner. Not the end of the world - accidents happen and they’re going to do everything they can to fix it, of course. It’s a bit of a headache, though, because I’m currently trying to sell the car and this is not great for business.

The real potential headache, however, is that the advisor let me know that there is exactly ONE of my type of headliner in the North America parts inventory system that they are trying to grab, but that it’s possible it’s phantom inventory. Through more questions, he reluctantly admitted that It’s technically possible a replacement headliner may not and will not ever exist.

I would like to know if anyone here has any suggestions about what my best course of action should be should they tell me that there is no headliner available. Of course I hope that they offer me a fair solution and that’s the end of it, but just don’t want to get railroaded into letting them cover it with duct tape and telling me to take a hike because I didn’t know of any alternatives.

Thanks for reading.

Would not worry yourself sick about this until your hear back from them.

If he was able to grab the part...you are golden.
If not, they may need to make you one. Might or not be a big deal.
They may also offer you a different color, depending on your approval of course.
Not knowing how noticible this tear is, they might be able to put some double stickey tape behind it and tide you over until they can get a full replacement.

You are taking it pretty well. Give them a bit to get a plan together to make you happy.

If there's a problem with obtaining a Tesla solution, I wonder if another option might be for them to pay for an independent trim shop to replace the headliner with something equivalent and to your liking? There are independent shops that do amazing jobs with such things.

I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but I want to have my thoughts in order in case this turns into a nightmare case as I’ve read about with many others.

While servicing my car for the steering rack recall as well as a busted sun visor, a technician accidentally ripped the headliner. Not the end of the world - accidents happen and they’re going to do everything they can to fix it, of course. It’s a bit of a headache, though, because I’m currently trying to sell the car and this is not great for business.

The real potential headache, however, is that the advisor let me know that there is exactly ONE of my type of headliner in the North America parts inventory system that they are trying to grab, but that it’s possible it’s phantom inventory. Through more questions, he reluctantly admitted that It’s technically possible a replacement headliner may not and will not ever exist.

I would like to know if anyone here has any suggestions about what my best course of action should be should they tell me that there is no headliner available. Of course I hope that they offer me a fair solution and that’s the end of it, but just don’t want to get railroaded into letting them cover it with duct tape and telling me to take a hike because I didn’t know of any alternatives.

Thanks for reading.

Check salvage guys and dismantlers for them. @AutobahnEV comes to mind.

Additionally, since we're talking about reluctance to admit... they could also reluctantly replace the entire interior with existing inventory...headliner, dash, trim etc;

I appreciate the replies and suggestions. Still no response yet from them on it, so no update just yet.

@demundus, Haha, I thought about the idea of replacing the entire interior, too. I’m sure it’ll be a long-shot if it comes down to me having to try to go that route, but would be nice if it happens.