Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assist for low brake performance activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did hard braking from 30 to 0 mph to see if the anti-lock braking was working. I had not touched the brakes before that test.
The result was a message "Assist for low brake performance activated".

The user manual has this explanation
"Reduced braking performance is usually
temporary, and can occur for a number of
reasons including high brake temperatures
after heavy brake use, or driving in extremely
cold or wet conditions. It can also indicate
that your brake pads or rotors have worn to
the point that normal replacement is needed"

I was surprised to get this message after a single stop from 30 mph. I repeated the test on different days with the same result.
I might not be surprised with this result if I had tried a panic stop from 60 or 100mph, but from 30mph I am surprised.

Any ideas?

I exited the highway and was approaching a stop light that just turned yellow. I was proceeding with assumption that the car in front would go thru the yellow and I would follow. Note: nothing is important enough to pass a yellow when you can safely stop. Anyway, the car in front stopped for the yellow. I was not tailgating but needed to apply more brakes. I did, and so did the Tesla. Exactly as the manual states, the brake pedal depressed more by itself and I could hear a rapid pulsing noise. It sounded like antilock brakes pulsing. The Tesla was being very cautious and stopped forward motion. I did not get the message you got. Possibly because the Tesla reacted before brakes could overheat. In your case since there was nothing in front of you the Tesla allowed brake to continue and they overheated. I think it's OK, nothing to worry about. Sometimes this smart car doesn't know that TMI (too much information) can cause extra worry. Your car was telling you that the brakes were overheating just like what happens (but driver not told) with dumb cars. Hmm, I wonder if anti-lock pulsing happened in your case.

I had the same experience as the OP. I was probably going around 45 mph when (I kid you not) an albino peacock walked out on the road. I was not expecting that. I slammed on the brakes and saw the same message. I have not noticed any braking performance issues - they seem pretty strong to me. Got a screenshot from the dashcam.

Attachments

• 3ABCA915-0E42-49B5-A599-23C8D8B16D0C.jpeg
    3ABCA915-0E42-49B5-A599-23C8D8B16D0C.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 119