Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin: "Forget Tesla, we'll lead"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Well, it looks like another car maker has woken up to the potential of electric cars.
"The UK-based manufacturer has teamed up with Chinese technology company LeEco to bring an electric sedan, the Aston Martin RapidE to market in 2018. Palmer points out that rivals Ferrari, Bentley and Rolls-Royce have failed to bring a fully-fledged EV model to the market, paving the way for Aston Martin "to be a trailblazer in luxury electrics."
Andy Palmer, chief executive of Aston Martin, which opted out of the Paris spectacle this year along with super-luxury rivals Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Lamborghini, says the road to fully-fledged electrification will be a long one.

Aston Martin CEO: Forget Tesla, we'll lead when it comes to ultra-luxury electric vehicles

The article also notes that Aston Martin has a factory with ONE robot.

A far better strategy would be to partner with Tesla for access to the Supercharger network and build a low volume super-premium Aston EV. now that would be a winning combo.
It's interesting that nobody seems to be taking up Tesla on it's offer to share Superchargers. I think there's a large component of "not invented here" in their thinking. I agree that a superpremium EV from Aston Martin would be great.

It's interesting that nobody seems to be taking up Tesla on it's offer to share Superchargers. I think there's a large component of "not invented here" in their thinking. I agree that a superpremium EV from Aston Martin would be great.
I agree!
if manufacturers like Aston Martin could solve the charging riddle (easily solved by partnering with tesla) I'd consider their offerings as being a viable option.

There are no indications that any car company is going to partner with Tesla to support and share the Supercharger network. And there is no way that Aston Martin will be able to compete on price with Tesla because Aston's volumes are too low and they are outsourcing a lot of the core technology, which will cost them.

Reactions: BluestarE3
I agree!
if manufacturers like Aston Martin could solve the charging riddle (easily solved by partnering with tesla) I'd consider their offerings as being a viable option.

Why aren't governments more serious about standardization of the charging infrastructure? Like the EU finally decided to get rid of all those different chargers for mobile phones that get tossed away or land in a drawer when the owner switches to a new phone.

Why aren't governments more serious about standardization of the charging infrastructure? Like the EU finally decided to get rid of all those different chargers for mobile phones that get tossed away or land in a drawer when the owner switches to a new phone.
why government? the marketplace will determine the winner. as more and more manufacturers make EVs a standard will evolve.

Taking them up on their offer would justify their existence! As it stands now, every other car manufacturer is threatened by Tesla!

why government? the marketplace will determine the winner. as more and more manufacturers make EVs a standard will evolve.

Well, Govt. money is funding much of the charging infrastructure (sans Tesla) so I guess I'd prefer taxpayer funding not be wasted on the losers. The Govt. is meddling whether they actively determine the standard or not, but I'd prefer which ever wastes the fewest dollars.

The "free market" has already given us a choice... we have J1772, CCS, Chademo, Tesla, NEMA 14-50, etc. This isn't good for anyone. The only way to come up with a standard is to have the government do it.

I don't see why Aston don't use their excellent coach building skills to make a spivvy body and luscious interior etc. and just stuff the Tesla battery and drive unit into it. Its not as though the Tesla is slow or anything !!
Unfortunately, there is this quote:
"Nevertheless, for a company struggling to reverse six years of losses to become profitable by 2018, market-watchers see the electric model as just window-dressing as Aston Martin pours resources into the new DB 11."
They could build a fine coach and put a Tesla drivetrain in it and it would be awesome. However, they still seem wedded to ICE technology which is one of their core competencies."
(The DB11 has a twin turbo 5.2 liter V12 engine... not really the path to leadership in EVs.)

Well, Govt. money is funding much of the charging infrastructure (sans Tesla) so I guess I'd prefer taxpayer funding not be wasted on the losers. The Govt. is meddling whether they actively determine the standard or not, but I'd prefer which ever wastes the fewest dollars.
I don't think that's been true since the 2008 stimulus, which gave us 30A charging stations at places like Walgreens. Could there be any places less appropriate for level 2 charging stations?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I don't think that's been true since the 2008 stimulus, which gave us 30A charging stations at places like Walgreens. Could there be any places less appropriate for level 2 charging stations?

I wasn't only discussing federal incentives. State Govt.'s are offering incentives, and my understanding is that CA will be in charge of doling out the VW dieselgate funding. While that isn't taxpayer funded, it is the Govt. deciding where the investment will be made.

Last edited: